Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice between scooter and motorbike

• 04-11-2015 1:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭

First of all, I am an experienced rider, I am riding SS since 1990 with over 200.000km in city, highway and closed tracks. My latest motorbike was a Honda CBR1000RR 2004, which was sold last summer.

Now, since I moved in Ireland, I am looking for a better way to commute. Distance between home and work is 12km via National Road. I do not prefer a car, since traffic is too bad and it costs me ~280€ per month to spend 2.5 hours per day in buses.

So my question is, should I get a scooter, 125-250cc, as a cheaper solution, or should I get a motorbike, 250cc-500cc ?

What is the maintenance costs for each of them?
    What is the difference in insurance costs?
    Something else I should know?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Motorbike ffs, I think you know the answer yourself :)

What is the maintenance costs for each of them? Consumables, tyres chain sprockets etc way more expensive on a larger bike
    but it'll have a stronger engine, imoi
    Insurance : depends, age, no claims bonus
    Something else I should know? Reach down into your feels, You know the answer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

Unless the 12km is right through the city centre then its bike all the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Wizard!

Obviously I prefer a motorbike from a scooter, but I am in a strict budget here, so I need to cut down expenses. That is why I asked about maintenance.

I am 45, with no claims for more than 10 years, but this is irrelevant at this point. My wife is on the same class (except she is 34) and she is paying double the normal cost because it's her first time in Ireland. Next year, will be in normal levels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

What's the budget?

Less than 1500€

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Wizard! wrote: »
    Less than 1500€

At that price I'd see what's the quality you can get, more people buy bikes than scooters so there could be better value in scooters or because they are rare there could be crap value. I'd say scooters could be cheaper to insure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Something like this should be cheap to run and insure, and more fun than a scooter: https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/honda-2003-cb250/10622598

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Thud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Unless the 12km is right through the city centre then its bike all the way

The OP looking for a Maxi Scooter which is well capable of handling N or M road speeds.

A moped is what is dodgy outside of cities they can be either scooter or a bike style but can't exceed 45km/h or 49cc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

Not joking, have you considered a bicycle? 12km’s is nothing and a great mild cardio workout, not to mention its more or less free… no petrol, insurance, or tax

Not joking, have you considered a bicycle? 12km’s is nothing and a great mild cardio workout, not to mention its more or less free… no petrol, insurance, or tax
    I did, as I was using a bike in my previous job. However I want to minimize time I spend for commuting. At the moment, I spend 2-2.5 hours with the buses. If I get a bike, I probably will spend the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭WAPAIC

My commute is straight across Dublin city for 12km.

Bicycle is the best, free, exercise, more relaxing. 30-40 mins depending on wind direction and enthusiasm.

Moped was great, easy to weave in and out of parked traffic, cheap and I didn't care if someone stole it or knocked it over. Better weather protection. 20-25 mins depending on lights and traffic

Motorbike is also great but I'm just getting used to it so finding it harder to filter and weave at the moment. Absolutely no need for the extra power at all. 25-30 mins at the moment. Am enjoying burning off the mopeds:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭cargen

Wizard! wrote:
    What is the maintenance costs for each of them? What is the difference in insurance costs? Something else I should know?

For that distance i definitely recommend a scooter. 125cc is better. On petrol you are talking about 20 euro a month. Tax 60 euro a year. For insurance you need to get quotations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

If you're tempted by a bicycle but not all that heavy peddling you could consider an e-bike. I don't know the legalities of them in Ireland though so would need to get that info from someone/where else if you are interested.

Quick google brought me to http://www.ieba.ie/why-electric.html .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Can confirm that peddle assist bikes are great fun, have one but don't use it, I've become lazy and like the power of the TDM, you could get a decent enough one (good battery) for about 700, Had some great craic on it though! I'd say the range of 24km is doable on it, but you could probably charge it at work to see you home.

WAPAIC wrote: »
    My commute is straight across Dublin city for 12km.

Bicycle is the best, free, exercise, more relaxing. 30-40 mins depending on wind direction and enthusiasm.
    30-40 mins only? If it's that much, I can do it.
    The thing is, that I need to try it first. I do not know the roads, and since I haven't cycle for more than 2 years, I am not sure I can get that pace.
    Is there any shop where I can rent a bike and maybe some equipment to test my endurance and see how it goes before I spent 500-700€ ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Now, since I moved in Ireland, I am looking for a better way to commute. Distance between home and work is 12km via National Road. I do not prefer a car, since traffic is too bad and it costs me ~280€ per month to spend 2.5 hours per day in buses.
    I'm assuming this cost is in Galway, as if it's in Dublin, you should get a leap card until you get a bike, as Dublin Bus weekly cap is €27.50, so just over a €100 a week. Put the saving towards a weekend bike :D

One thing to keep in mind is that the general public tend to treat cyclists as a nuisance, and I've seen cars pass by cyclists with maybe only a foot of room. Have never seen anyone do this to a motorcyclist. So perhaps when getting the bus into work, sit at the front, and look if drivers overtake or just pass by cyclists.

the_syco wrote: »
    I'm assuming this cost is in Galway, as if it's in Dublin, you should get a leap card until you get a bike, as Dublin Bus weekly cap is €27.50, so just over a €100 a week. Put the saving towards a weekend bike
    I am living in Oranmore, and working in Galway. Unfortunately the ticket is 4.10€ to city and I have to get another bus, 2.00€. With weekly ticket and Leap Card, the cost is around 280€
    the_syco wrote: »
    One thing to keep in mind is that the general public tend to treat cyclists as a nuisance, and I've seen cars pass by cyclists with maybe only a foot of room. Have never seen anyone do this to a motorcyclist. So perhaps when getting the bus into work, sit at the front, and look if drivers overtake or just pass by cyclists.
    I was cycling in Greece. Drivers there are usually better. They don't miss by a foot...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,355 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

At less than 5000km a year (taking account of holidays) running costs aren't really an issue no matter what the bike.

Road tax isn't an issue. 88 euro at the most.

Insurance is at worst a couple of hundred either way, once you have a no claims bonus here.

Just go with whatever you'll enjoy, the ride into to work on a grim winter morning on the bike is the best part of the day for me :)

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

Give cycling a go sure. You could pick up a half decent bike for 150e second hand and if you take to it, buy through the bike to work scheme in a few months

I was thinking of renting a bike for a weekend, and go back and forth to work, to evaluate things. The thing is, I can rent a bike, but I do not have the equipment, it's all back in Greece, and the cost to send them here, is too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Thud

I was thinking of renting a bike for a weekend, and go back and forth to work, to evaluate things. The thing is, I can rent a bike, but I do not have the equipment, it's all back in Greece, and the cost to send them here, is too much.

Try Lidl and Aldi, they usually have some cycling gear left over from their cycling promotions or keep an eye out for the next one. Adverts.ie also has a big cycling section

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

Try the cycling section here on boards for some cheap gear http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1205

You could alternate between motorcycle and bicycle depending on the weather/your mood etc

• Registered Users Posts: 7 edi_simes

IMO, Cycling is great if you have the energy levels daily. I cycle sometimes (my commute is 14km right across Dublin in a diagonal from NW to SE) but many days I simply don't have the energy or the motivation to cycle for 45 to 50 minutes - especially in the pouring rain and the wind (I'm guessing the wind is a greater consideration in the West than in Dublin?) - and cycling home after a long day a work and the energy levels are low can be a chore. So maybe an electric cycle would help.

I personally have a Vespa GTV-250 and it's stable enough to run on the M50 if I choose, and very manouverable for city riding. There's also a comfort factor to it - the Vespa is incredibly comfortable. I have some safe routes worked out, so I don't have to filter against close oncoming traffic - I'm not a bold rider.

Insurance is reaonable. Running costs are excellent - really fuel efficient. Workshop costs are high, but that's possibly my bad choice of workshop!! (see my other post). Since 2012, I've had a new exhaust and some new tyres and it's easy on self-maintenance. Consider punctures too. I'd advise going for a scooter that's suitable for some wet weather (the Vespa is pressed steel and I'm expecting it to start showing signs of weathering within the next couple of years). I'd probably always go for a 'maxi scooter' because I like the extra little bit of power that the 250 gives - but it's a matter of preference, I guess. I'd also consider going for a basic bike, like a Honda CB, where I can do more servicing and fixing myself and save on workshop labour - I find the vespa is all enclosed and things are hard to reach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Scooters are handier in that they offer substantially better weather protection than most bikes.
    Have you thought about an E-scooter? 31 tax and almost zero running costs.
    Most have 60km range so thats at least 2 days before you need to charge it.
    I would say insurance is cheap as well.
    I am just back from Shanghai and there was a lot of them in use in the City, I used my brothers one and it had decent punch even with my 16 stone aboard.
    http://www.donedeal.ie/scooters-for-sale/e-max-electric-scooter/8839519?offset=14

Steel? Aluminium corrodes horribly, too.

Any motorcycle or scooter ridden on salted roads in winter needs to be sprayed down with fresh water at the end of every day.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭fear_factory84

Any motorcycle or scooter ridden on salted roads in winter needs to be sprayed down with fresh water at the end of every day.

and that's a big problem if you live in a shared building complex and no own driveway or backyard....
    Acf50 over all the bike could be a solution, at least I hope so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

True, but in Galway I suspect that salting is infrequent and unlikely to remain on the road for long. E-scooters have the motor in the back hub so you don't even have a drive train to worry about.
    I was impressed by them even as a confirmed petrolhead.
    For cities they make perfect sense.

• Advertisement

and that's a big problem if you live in a shared building complex and no own driveway or backyard...

I have a garden and a garden hose, but getting that out is too much hassle.
    I use a small sprayer that holds a litre or so, which is plenty.

h601p_1.jpg

Scrap the cap!

Advertisement