Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice between scooter and motorbike

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭rock22

Wizard! wrote: »
    I am living in Oranmore, and working in Galway. Unfortunately the ticket is 4.10€ to city and I have to get another bus, 2.00€. With weekly ticket and Leap Card, the cost is around 280€

Depending on where you live in Oranmore and exactly where you are going in in Galway, you have a choice of three main roads. One is the end of the M6, one fast dual carriageway and one reasonable B road (the old road along by the coast). The speed limits are 100, 100 and 80. If you intend using either of the dual carriageways I would suggest a motorcycle capable of keeping up with the traffic speed i.e. 100 - 120.

Wind will definitely be a problem on the coast road and while cycling would be pleasant in the summer I am not too sure it would be viable for the winter.

There is a train service from Oranmore to Galway but that might be even more expensive than bus.

Also you should enquire of your employer about tax saver tickets
    see http://http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/public_transport/public_transport_commuter_tickets_and_tax.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Wizard!

I am bringing that up again, as lot's of things change, but not the dilemma...

We moved to Dublin, we live in Lucan and I work in the city center.
    Still about 12-15km to go, and same for return, 25-30 in total daily.
    Budget, is less than 4000€.

So, to take a decision, I would like to know the cost of insurance on some models I found.
    I don't have any claims in my lifetime, and I am riding since 1993.
    What will be the cost of an insurance of:

Ducati 749
    Honda CBR600RR
    Honda Silverwing 600
    Yamaha X-Max 250

I understand, nobody can give actual quotes, but I can't get from the insurance companies, without a license plate, which I can't have, without deciding first.
    I am asking just for a margin to get the idea of the cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I am bringing that up again, as lot's of things change, but not the dilemma...

We moved to Dublin, we live in Lucan and I work in the city center.
    Still about 12-15km to go, and same for return, 25-30 in total daily.
    Budget, is less than 4000€.

So, to take a decision, I would like to know the cost of insurance on some models I found.
    I don't have any claims in my lifetime, and I am riding since 1993.
    What will be the cost of an insurance of:

Ducati 749
    Honda CBR600RR
    Honda Silverwing 600
    Yamaha X-Max 250

I understand, nobody can give actual quotes, but I can't get from the insurance companies, without a license plate, which I can't have, without deciding first.
    I am asking just for a margin to get the idea of the cost.

get a plate off donedeal and then get quotes.

That is the only way you will get the exact answer

- Seriously its just a vague guess here

listermint wrote: »
    get a plate off donedeal and then get quotes.
    You mean, buy looking at photos, or by asking the seller to give me the plate number ?
    Cause in my country, Greece, nobody will give you his plate numbers...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

the plate number belongs to the bike not the person, you're getting a quote on the bike you're looking to purchase.. same way you would do a reg lookup to see if it is stolen or written off. So there's no issue using someone else's reg plate to look for a quote

if the reg isn't in the pictures then look at a different ad that shows it.

Also I didn't have to give a reg number for any of my quotes, ring principal and tell them you're looking to get quotes on 5 different bikes and ask if they'd be ok spending the time doing that. then just call out the makes and models and they will do them one by one. If one of them sounds really good ask them if they'll email it to you and you will have access to that quote for a month

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

but I can't get from the insurance companies, without a license plate

Never had this issue 6 months ago. But then I picked up the telephone and asked the person on the other end of the line what I wanted a quote on.

macplaxton wrote: »
    Never had this issue 6 months ago. But then I picked up the telephone and asked the person on the other end of the line what I wanted a quote on.
    It's easy for you :)

My native tongue is not English, so it's much easier for me to fill an online form, than telling all the data over the phone, to someone who I might not understand clearly.

However, I am willing to try. Could you suggest a decent broker?
    I only know some companies, and trying to get quotes via their websites, or a price comparison one. Don't know any brokers.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

There's only a handful that do bike business, so it's not like it takes days to go around.

I started with Adelaide (Cornmarket), they were helpful and gave me some quotes and that was after the finding out it wasn't possible to get the cover I needed. Zero NCB (I had 9 years, but that expired 7 years ago) means no commuting cover.

Tried AXA, but they wanted some course to be done.

Tried Principal, got fully covered for my requirements and paid 50% straight away, 50% one month later.

Now what might help you is to

a) Get a fluent English speaking friend to help you out on the phone or
    b) Phone the insurer and get a contact email for the person. Then email that person with all the details and ask them to phone you back. If you just email them first, they might not respond or take ages.

Just to update/close the thread...

I ended up with a Ducati 848 EVO and Principal...

Thank all for your help and guidance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

So my question is, should I get a scooter, 125-250cc, as a cheaper solution, or should I get a motorbike, 250cc-500cc ?

So like most bikers you didn't get anything like you initially intended. :D

Well wear!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Give cycling a go sure. You could pick up a half decent bike for 150e second hand and if you take to it, buy through the bike to work scheme in a few months

I wouldn't even contemplate cycling Oranmore-Galway regularly. The road, and the weather on the coast, is crap.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Just to update/close the thread...

I ended up with a Ducati 848 EVO and Principal...

Thank all for your help and guidance.

PICTURES please.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

galwaytt wrote:
    I wouldn't even contemplate cycling Oranmore-Galway regularly. The road, and the weather on the coast, is crap.

I think that advice was before we knew the route!

PICTURES please.

Here you are ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

jR5fq.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Here you are ;)

That's what I said to myself
    Myself ,I said ,; that man need a Ducati evo for the chape running and parts
    I'm glad you agreed

Tigger wrote: »
    That's what I said to myself
    Myself ,I said ,; that man need a Ducati evo for the chape running and parts
    I'm glad you agreed

Haha, yeah... you know how it is... I don't even have a driver's license, I ride since I was 18yo.
    I started with a scooter or bike, I move to scooter or small motorbike, and... ended up with a superbike :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,128 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Sweet!

I really want a scooter like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Here you are ;)

Was that an Italian plate bike for sale here in Dublin?

Was that an Italian plate bike for sale here in Dublin?
    UK. I imported the bike and waiting for the VRT date.
    Italian plates, are following EU standards, they are pretty much like Irish.

• Advertisement
Advertisement