Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit Issues

Options
  • 04-11-2015 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi I am a Landlord and have a small property on the southside.

I recently gave tenants back their deposit after a brief inspection. On further inspection there are more problems than i previously anticipated.

Is there any way of me getting some of the deposit back?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I think once you have given it back you cant do anything about it. However you can try bill them for the cost of whats needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Not really, it is up to the LL to see what needs to be repaired before the deposit is given back, Unless they intentionally hid or covered up serious issues from you

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭LacticAthlete

Well i have discovered that toaster and george foreman grill are not working. As well as that there were issues with little things like lightbulbs, missing small objects etc.

Well i have discovered that toaster and george foreman grill are not working. As well as that there were issues with little things like lightbulbs, missing small objects etc.

More than likely the missing items are the only things which you could deduct from the deposit anyway. If the items were only small though you could struggle to justify keeping some deposit, what was missing?

Toaster and George foreman would most likely be your responsibility under wear and tear and light bulbs certainly could not be deducted from the deposit. Sounds like the tenants didn't do much wrong if you are concerned about light bulbs to be fair.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

That's it???

• Advertisement

I've rented abroad and there it was perfectly usual for blown or missing lightbulbs to be deducted from the deposit.

Everybody made sure to have all bulbs working for final inspection as otherwise the ones the landlord billed you for would be more expensive that those you might buy yourself.

I've rented abroad and there it was perfectly usual for blown or missing lightbulbs to be deducted from the deposit.

Everybody made sure to have all bulbs working for final inspection as otherwise the ones the landlord billed you for would be more expensive that those you might buy yourself.

Things must be strange abroad in rentals if that's the case. To me it would be like the LL trying to deduct money from the deposit because the tenant left no toilet roll in the bathroom or milk in the fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭LacticAthlete

Well im missing a lamp, the curtain rails were hanging off. Poor job done of cleaning etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Well im missing a lamp, the curtain rails were hanging off. Poor job done of cleaning etc.

You've effectively signed off saying everything g was fine. Unless you can show something was hidden from you then you have no chance of getting anything else back off them. Take it on the chin and learn from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

is it worth taking a day off work to attend ptrb meeting and then not getting he money when you win?

the toaster and grill are probably fuses

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

And you missed all of this during the inspection? Have to agree with others here. Learn from it and move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Curtain rails often come away from walls due to poor fitting and poorely fitted curtains, also cheaper curtain rails will lwad to this as the track is not good enough and the curtains get stuck and users have to use more pressure to open and close the curtains, this would be a wear and tear issue tbh.

A missing lamp should have been found out when you checked the inventory during your final inspection, have you checked all storage areas in the house?

Cleaning is also an item that you should have picked up on during your final inspection.

All these items would require you to give the tenants an opportunity to mend replace or clean up properly before you go to try and keep any deposit or charge for the issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Curtain rails often come away from walls due to poor fitting and poorely fitted curtains, also cheaper curtain rails will lwad to this as the track is not good enough and the curtains get stuck and users have to use more pressure to open and close the curtains, this would be a wear and tear issue tbh.

Far from my experience, most likely cause is falling and grabbing the curtains along with plain old brute force. Not wear and tear

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭REXER

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Far from my experience, most likely cause is falling and grabbing the curtains along with plain old brute force. Not wear and tear

But in actual reality it will be the crappy building standards that are the cause with no real support in the wall above the windows for the curtain rails!

Advertisement