Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed re: open viewing and references required

Options
  • 04-11-2015 2:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭

I have just sold an apartment (I won't be based in Ireland but still need a place in Dublin) and I'm now looking to rent a place for the first time in a few years. I really like the location and price of the place I'm looking at tomorrow and I want to put my best foot forward. The listing just gives the time of the open viewing and little other info. How does one go about providing references nowadays as my previous landlords were pretty easy going. I gather from the listing I'd be dealing with the landlord directly.

Should I bring written references? Provide contact details?

Silly questions I know I just don't want to be totally unprepared.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Some landlords may be impressed that you won't be around much so less wear & tear. Others might be concerned whether they can chase you down. IN a similar situation, I agreed to pre fund 6 months rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Maybe explain your situation and say you can provide work/character references but that you haven't rented for a number of years so landlord references aren't a possibility for you. If a landlord likes you they will probably overlook this and the fact that you have owned your own home will also give them a good impression on your ability to pay the bills/rent.

Advertisement