Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pets accidents

Options
  • 04-11-2015 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

hi all
    i have a question
    what u should do if u witness animal road accident at night?? are they any services available except from UCD hospital?? does driver has to report accident??? any thoughts
    many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Any local vet would have an emergency number. Not sure if the driver has to report it - I guess it depends on what kind of person you are? I certainly wouldn't leave an animal dead/dying at the side of the road if I hit it...

• Registered Users Posts: 9 animal_voice

thx tk123
    just recently witness cat getting injured and driver even didnt stop, was wondering shell i report to the police? to make matter worst non of the internet emergency numbers were in use and taxi driver refuse to take us to UCD hospital. poor animals

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

I am currently training as a canine first responded, I.E. Canine first aid. A lot of the principles are the same as human first aid. Tk123 is correct. Local vet is the first point of call in that instance if you are not trained in the area. Lots of local vets will have emergency after hours numbers. Doubt you would have to report it to the Garda as I don't think they would have any powers in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Just to add the emergency service in UCD is extremely expensive compared to a normal vet. Our vet has the emergency number in the window and also on a recorded message when you ring the surgery after hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

So sad :( How can anyone hit an animal and keep going? Then again they do it to people.... Shame on the taxi driver sure couldn't you have held it on your lap on a blanket or something? I always thought the emergency number provided by vet clinics was UCD's one anyway. UCD are very expensive.

• Advertisement

well done you
    i wish i could do more and definitely getting emergency number for my area. Good luck hope u save a lot of pets!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

tk123 wrote: »
    Just to add the emergency service in UCD is extremely expensive compared to a normal vet. Our vet has the emergency number in the window and also on a recorded message when you ring the surgery after hours.

Unfortunately from experience Anicare are in a panel that provide cover so you might not get your own vet & could be driving across Dublin for cover.

Knine wrote: »
    Unfortunately from experience Anicare are in a panel that provide cover so you might not get your own vet & could be driving across Dublin for cover.

i dont have car and taxi woulnt take me, does local vet go to location?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Its terrible, a friend witnessed a cat being hit by a car and frantically phoned 4 different vets and the dspca to try to get someone to come and put the creature out of its misery but no one would come - he was out on foot at the time so no car and no taxi passed. He was hugely traumatised afterwards actually. The cat took some time to pass but he stayed with it until the end.

Its terrible, a friend witnessed a cat being hit by a car and frantically phoned 4 different vets and the dspca to try to get someone to come and put the creature out of its misery but no one would come - he was out on foot at the time so no car and no taxi passed. He was hugely traumatised afterwards actually. The cat took some time to pass but he stayed with it until the end.

that's exactly what happened to me and friend on two different occasion, was wondering what can you do to change that

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

That's terrible. :(
    If there's some way to prevent the animal from suffering it would be great to hear of it.

I had a goldfish once that developed a massive tumour, I brought her to the vet who didn't have a clue and was told just to let nature take it's course. And then charged €50 for the pleasure.
    The feeling of helplessness when you can't do anything for a creature in distress is so frustrating.
    That was a really decent thing for your friend to do, intheclouds.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭benneca1

There is no public veterinary service so if you call a private vet who will pay her or him. While I wouldn't like to see a cat or dog suffer I wouldn't be prepared to pay a call out for a vet which I suppose is 50 or 60 yoyo. Ditto I wouldn't expect the vet to come out pro bono that's not fair either. Id say call the Guards and let them figure out how to engage the services of a veterinarian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

that's exactly what happened to me and friend on two different occasion, was wondering what can you do to change that

I'd probably try and get the animal to my own vet and pay for euthanasia.

Awful to say but my friend said he even looked around for a concrete block to do it with.

Posy wrote: »
    If there's some way to prevent the animal from suffering it would be great to hear of it.

I had a goldfish once that developed a massive tumour, I brought her to the vet who didn't have a clue and was told just to let nature take it's course. And then charged €50 for the pleasure.
    The feeling of helplessness when you can't do anything for a creature in distress is so frustrating.

Apparently road accidents should not be charge as its not ur pet but I don't know so many people passing by could help but probably costs are the issue

Exactly helplessness is the worst so nany people passing by could help at that crucial moment, instead some don't even stop or check on poor animal. So sorry for ur fish , got one as well is like family member:)

A friend had problems with her fish before (presumably there was nothing that could be done) and the vet told her the most humane thing to do was put the fish bowl in the fridge for a couple of hours and then the freezer. Apparently with the gradual dropping of the temperature, the fish would go into a sort of hypothermic "sleep" - I don't know. Seemed odd and cruel - both to the fish and also expecting the owner to essentially kill her own pet :confused:

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    A friend had problems with her fish before (presumably there was nothing that could be done) and the vet told her the most humane thing to do was put the fish bowl in the fridge for a couple of hours and then the freezer. Apparently with the gradual dropping of the temperature, the fish would go into a sort of hypothermic "sleep" - I don't know. Seemed odd and cruel - both to the fish and also expecting the owner to essentially kill her own pet :confused:

That's the worst thing to put your beloved pet down no matter size or breed :( however we must acknowledge that there are "human " way to do so regardless the pain we suffer

That's the worst thing to put your beloved pet down no matter size or breed :( however we must acknowledge that there are "human " way to do so regardless the pain we suffer

I'm not disputing that, and my post wasn't intended to be an anti-euthanasia one so I apologise if it came across that way. What I meant was, it was cruel to expect the owner to physically do it herself, when she was no doubt already feeling guilty about making the decision.

I'm not disputing that, and my post wasn't intended to be an anti-euthanasia one so I apologise if it came across that way. What I meant was, it was cruel to expect the owner to physically do it herself, when she was no doubt already feeling guilty about making the decision.
    Not at all I'm just saying that we must learn how to deal with that :) I think more of veterinary public services should be in place to prevent and save our pets

Not at all I'm just saying that we must learn how to deal with that :) I think more of veterinary public services should be in place to prevent and save our pets

Like many of life's tragedies, you can try to deal but it's still a horrible experience. Euthanasia is a complex issue. I carry guilt for a dog that we euthanaised and I carry guilt for one that we didn't :(

Definitely would support a kind of "public service" for our less fortunate animals but there'd likely be rumblings of "not my tax euro...rabble rabble" :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Not very humane at all. I keep fish & I use Clove oil to distroy any fish that is not going to make it or is badly injured.

Knine wrote: »
    Not very humane at all. I keep fish & I use Clove oil to distroy any fish that is not going to make it or is badly injured.

http://www.oscarfishlover.com/euthanise-your-Oscar

Good article on it here. Learn something every day! :)

Advertisement