Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tourist Visa Interview

Options
  • 04-11-2015 2:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭

So, I have one of these coming up soon. Any tips on what to expect?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

It'll pretty much be the same as any visa interview

Bring proof that you have no intention of remaining in the US (return flight tickets don't count - i'm talking about mortgage/rent receipts, a letter from your employer that you're on holiday and you will be returning on x date).

The things you need to prepare yourself for are the questions why you got refused for the ESTA, as that is rare enough. Usually it is due to overstaying in the past. The other possibility is that you have the same name of someone on the watch list, the embassy will usually give you a "code" that you can use in the future to be approved for the ESTA but unfortunately you'll always be stopped at the border for a few more questions than normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

Bring proof that you have no intention of remaining in the US (return flight tickets don't count - i'm talking about mortgage/rent receipts, a letter from your employer that you're on holiday and you will be returning on x date).

The things you need to prepare yourself for are the questions why you got refused for the ESTA, as that is rare enough. Usually it is due to overstaying in the past. The other possibility is that you have the same name of someone on the watch list, the embassy will usually give you a "code" that you can use in the future to be approved for the ESTA but unfortunately you'll always be stopped at the border for a few more questions than normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

I've never been there! I've no criminal record of any kind. I don't get why I was declined unless it was the same name theory.

Anyway, thanks for the tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

The things you need to prepare yourself for are the questions why you got refused for the ESTA, as that is rare enough. Usually it is due to overstaying in the past. .

I would have thought the main reason for refusal of ESTA is having a conviction/caution for a CIMT.

Advertisement