Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apply for jobs in the US?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Not all exchange visas are 12 months long and some people use them (however foolishly) to join their family in the US in the first place so it does happen. In fact that's entirely my point, it's starts out as "getting their foot in the door," that leads to promises of sponsorship which never materialise and a swift change to a student visa at the last minute followed by more time looking for loopholes and good lawyers, this stage can last years. Suddenly the emigrant realises they have been in the US for 5 years and they dont want to live anywhere else anymore but can't gain residency. They have spent 5 years building a career, a circle of friends, a life and maybe a relationship and they have just been served a notice from the INS giving them them 90 days to vacate the country for a period of not less than 2 years. I've seen it happen to more than one person.

All I'm saying is that exchange visas aren't intended to allow people get their foot in the door so if that's your plan make sure you know that it is something which is even allowable by US law. If there is one going I've learned it's that you need to know the process front to back becaus it is tricky and unforgiving.

All true enough but that's just life and expecting it to be any different is more of a problem with the person not the system, definitely something for the OP to be aware of though. The opposite can happen too, I came over here on J1 with no intention of staying for more than the year but here I am 6 years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Josie_tickle

All great advise and detailed scenarios, perhaps a bit frightening but I think it would be a fun adventure to test the waters. It may not be a fit for me but I won't know unless I have a go, worse case scenario I've to return to Ireland or Europe that's not too bad either :-) thanks again, really appreciate all the help gang ^_^

Advertisement