Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trinity College entry requirements.

• 04-11-2015 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Currently I'm studying English,Irish,Maths,Accounting,Business,Biology and DCG (All at higher) for the leaving cert, the course I want to do when I finish is 'Law and Business' in trinity, the specific entry requirements for the course are around the 560 points mark but it also requires a D3 in Maths.
    My only concern is that the minimum requirements for entry to the school is to present subjects one of which must include a pass in a language other than English (Irish in my case), but I want to drop to ordinary at it because I'm terrible at it, so will ordinary Irish have to be included in one of my best 6? Because if so then I may not be able to reach the required points! I'm 100% certain that the other 6 (marked on best 6) will make up the points but will Irish have to be included in the six? Meaning I'd have to stay at higher? Thanks in advance for any feedback and apologies for any confusion.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭thisistough

Afaik any university in Ireland you need a third language outside of English and Irish unless you have an exemption. As in you would also need to be doing one of French, German, Italian, Spanish etc. If your school has a guidance counsellor they should be a good help with this kind of thing too.

Here is a screenshot from nui.ie with regards to the requirements for the universities in Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

You're probably better off asking this in the Leaving Cert forum, but afaik any matriculation subject (a pass in Irish and a D3 Maths in this case) doesn't count towards your 6 unless they're one of your top6 grades.

Also, nothing's ever 100% certain in your leaving cert points. For all you know, you might make 580 but the course could go to 590, or you could get 570 and the course could drop below that. It's pure chance. Just do as best as you can and if you don't make it, don't sweat as there's plenty other routes into every course, you'll just take a bit longer to get there.

Afaik any university in Ireland you need a third language outside of English and Irish unless you have an exemption. As in you would also need to be doing one of French, German, Italian, Spanish etc. If your school has a guidance counsellor they should be a good help with this kind of thing too.

Here is a screenshot from nui.ie with regards to the requirements for the universities in Ireland

Trinity has always been different - it treats Irish as a foreign language :pac:

OP, none of us here can give you a 100% answer. Contact the admissions office in Trinity: http://www.tcd.ie/study/contact/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭mdudy

Course requirements don't have to be in your best six. You can drop to Irish, pass it and count your others for points purposes. Matriculation requirements are independent to each university (and as Trinity isn't part of NUI), you only need one foreign language for Trinity, and this can be satisified with Irish at Higher or Ordinary level.

Also, I'm pretty sure this is all explained in the CAO handbook which should be available online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Personally I wouldnt be too pushed with Law and Business in Trinity. Apparently its a law degree and a Business degree. You will be in the same business lectures as BESS students, so you arent really getting Business subjects specific for law. There is of course accounting, finance etc. But there is no real interlinking of the 2 subjects. I imagine the UCD Business and Law programme might be more interlinked.

If you are worried about your "sixth" subject. You could take up economics now and be have it done by June 2016. The course material for LC Economics is tiny and there is no real thinking involved. Its very much learn the past paper solutions. You need to read the Business section of the newspaper(which you should be doing anyway for your examples needed for Business) to keep on top of current events which they like to include in the economics exam paper to cover up the fact they havent changed the syllabus in over 40 years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

No, Irish doesn't have to be one of your best 6 results for it to count toward matriculation requirements. You just have to have the pass in Irish. I was in the same situation as you, except with Maths. Needed it for my course but it wasn't one of my best 6.

Advertisement