Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dealer damaged rifle scope

Options
  • 04-11-2015 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

I bought a new rifle from my dealer along with a set of new Warne mounts but I wanted to fit my own scope to it. The dealer was quite insistent that he would fit the scope and do the bore alignment for free so I give him the go ahead however when I got the gun home the side wheel for distance parallax would not work. I loosened the mounts and it allowed the wheel to work slightly.

Where do I stand here? The scope is about 3 years old but was working perfectly until it was placed in the new mounts too tightly. I will be calling in with him at the weekend

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Never let anyone do something if you want to do it yourself, for this exact reason. You're going to have to prove that he damaged it as more than likely he'll tell you it was not damaged or at least not by him.

As no one here can say who is at fault all you can do is go back to the dealer, give your side, and talk.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Best way to approach this is with a level head. Stay calm and talk to him he might come round on your side. Don't accuse him at the start. You won't get anywhere if yes butt heads.

But if your sure I wouldn't be happy is expect something done about it.

How do you know the mounts where to tight and that's what done the damage. Did you buy the scope with the rifle or was it always yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭pf85

Best way to approach this is with a level head. Stay calm and talk to him he might come round on your side. Don't accuse him at the start. You won't get anywhere if yes butt heads.

But if your sure I wouldn't be happy is expect something done about it.

How do you know the mounts where to tight and that's what done the damage. Did you buy the scope with the rifle or was it always yours.

Its my own scope that I bought brand new about 3 years ago and it was only ever fitted to my other rifle. It has been meticulously cared for and was in full working order when I gave it to him.

I know it was over tightened as when I loosened the mount screws it took quite a lot of turns before the scope showed any signs of loosening. When I had it loosened the side parallax started working but would only focus from 10 yards to 50 yards - the tube must be slightly bent and it isn't able to focus any further. Beforehand it used to focus the whole way out to 300 yards and then infinity

You're in a tough position if the dealer is at fault. By loosening the rings you've undone anything he might have done. They should have been left in as tight as they were and the rifle/scope returned as it was when you collected it so that he could see the problem.

Go back and have a chat.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Cass wrote: »
    You're in a tough position if the dealer is at fault. By loosening the rings you've undone anything he might have done. They should have been left in as tight as they were and the rifle/scope returned as it was when you collected it so that he could see the problem.

Go back and have a chat.

I know but I had to investigate before I went back to him again with it just encase it was something stupid which could be easily rectified. I'm going to go back to him this weekend and see what can be done

Thanks for the comments, I'm just itching to get out with my new rifle

• Advertisement

I get where you're coming from, but my comments are out of personal experience not criticism.

I've been in the same position. I thought i'd "sort it" myself. When i found the problem was worse than expected and brought it back i got the line of "well how do i know it was something i done and not what you done".

Now when i have a problem i just bring it back. Would rather look like a noob than get caught that way again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Welli hope it works out for you. I've a funny feeling if he is stupid enough to over tighten it in the first place he might be stupid enough to deny it

Hopefully you won't have to pull him out over the counter.

Is the scoped marked at all.

There is some very light marking where the mounts are but they might maybe come out with a good cleaning.

I think he will probably claim innocence as the scope was second hand and he didn't try to see if it was working beforehand but I'll find out when I see him tonight. I'm frustrated because although it wasn't a top of the range scope, it was one which I really liked and have gotten very familiar with. I don't fancy throwing money at a new one either right now with all the other expenses I have

Have you gone back to the RFD or planning to?

Cass wrote: »
    Have you gone back to the RFD or planning to?

I will be going back tonight/tomorrow morning

I cant see him being able to fix it so best case would be a discount off a new scope I would think

• Advertisement

Well as said above go in with a calm head, make no accusations and see what can be done. I wouldn't go in "bald headed" as it'll only serve to get the RFD's back up and you'll get nowhere.

Let us know how you get on.

Called in today and left it with him to check over. Rang back this evening and he said the scope looks good with no marks and isnt sure why its broken. Said the mounts can't be overtightened which I don't believe.. And that it was probably recoil which broke it but the rifle is only a 22-250 which has very little recoil. Looks like im not going to get anywhere and will have to fork out for a new scope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭lakesider

pf85 wrote: »
    Called in today and left it with him to check over. Rang back this evening and he said the scope looks good with no marks and isnt sure why its broken. Said the mounts can't be overtightened which I don't believe.. And that it was probably recoil which broke it but the rifle is only a 22-250 which has very little recoil. Looks like im not going to get anywhere and will have to fork out for a new scope.

what kind of scope is it?

It's a Besonder Optisch 10-40x50 Gen5

Its by no means a top end scope and from what i read online the company is no longer trading I think they were bought over by Leupold

Said the mounts can't be overtightened which I don't believe.
    They can be. It's rare as most rings will give the scope a gentle grasp rather than crush, and those rings that can crush a scope are usually mounted by a person withe the due care and knowledge to know what they are doing and not overtighten.
    And that it was probably recoil which broke it but the rifle is only a 22-250 which has very little recoil.
    It can happen. Regardless of recoil level.
    It's a Besonder Optisch 10-40x50 Gen5
    I know the scope. Went to buy one years ago, but changed my mind after reading reviews on them. While some have used it on the lower centrefire calibers, most seem to use them on rimfires or air rifles.

They are, and i mean absolutely no offence by this, a cheap scope. The quality and manufacturing process would not be on a par with more expensive makes and as such the scope could become damaged by recoil or by every day use with no relation to recoil.

I had an AGS scope years and years ago. Pretty much when i started shooting. I knew nothing about scopes, and bought what i thought would do. It was on a .22lr, but within a month was knackered. Got a replacement and it went belly up. Never touched one since as they were and as far as i'm concerned still are a cheap scope that will only cause stress.

Plus i've had scopes such as Nightforce, Sightron and other high end makes go belly up. There are lemons in every brand.

I am thinking about purchasing this scope for the value for spec, what are your thoughts?

http://opticswarehouse.co.uk/product/nikko-stirling-targetmaster-4-16x44-1-inch-mildot-riflescope/

I just can't afford to be splashing out on a big brand right now

I had one on a .22lr a while ago. A decent little scope and like yourself i hadn't much to spend so the budget was good.

I've seen lads on the range using them on rifles up to .223, but i will not give an opinion on whether you should go for it as i've no personal experience on using it on anything other than a rimfire.

I have found over the last few years that Hawke are a great brand for the money. I have and still use them on rifles from .223 to .308 for years. Like all scopes i had issues with a couple but they were replaced immediately. As is aid no make is immune from failure, but the more you pay the less frequent the problems should become.

If you have around €250 in a budget i'd stick up a wanted advert for one. The sidewinder or Sidewinder 30 are good. Have a look here for their features.

Advertisement