Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How far will €100,000.00 go?

Options
  • 04-11-2015 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

Hypothetically speaking, if one was to (self) build a ~ 2000 to 2300 square foot dormer house (5 bedroom) block house in the north west (co. Donegal) how far would 100,000 go?

Rough figures:

Planning, architect (just to design house and take care of planning), site clearance, water & ESB connection and foundation poured/installed €15,000

Building of blocks up to wall plate level, including insulation and materials and labour €35,000

Roof including material and labour €30,000

External plastering €15,000

Windows and door €15,000

Approx. for 100/110k would it be possible to have a house weather tight ?

Builders are plentifully and would be delighted for a bit a work in my area.

Or am I way out on my figures? :-D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭The Cuban

€15,000 just for external plastering of a Dormor bungelo :eek: more like €5000

All your pricing looks very strong, you should be able to get a builder to complete the house to within 2nd fix carpentry, plumbing and Electrical for that

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭josephsoap

The Cuban wrote: »
    €15,000 just for external plastering of a Dormor bungelo :eek: more like €5000

All your pricing looks very strong, you should be able to get a builder to complete the house to within 2nd fix carpentry, plumbing and Electrical for that

Thanks Cuban, yes I kind of thought I over priced the work alright if I got that far for €80,000 it wouldn't be to bad.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

2300sqft, 300k no change, probably 350k, hypothetically speaking of course

BryanF wrote: »

Please provide a breakdown of costs to how you arrive at 350k.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

josephsoap wrote: »
    Hypothetically speaking, if one was to (self) build a ~ 2000 to 2300 square foot dormer house (5 bedroom) block house in the north west (co. Donegal) how far would 100,000 go?

Rough figures:

Planning, architect (just to design house and take care of planning), site clearance, water & ESB connection and foundation poured/installed €15,000

Building of blocks up to wall plate level, including insulation and materials and labour €35,000

Roof including material and labour €30,000

External plastering €15,000

Windows and door €15,000

Approx. for 100/110k would it be possible to have a house weather tight ?

Builders are plentifully and would be delighted for a bit a work in my area.

Or am I way out on my figures? :-D

I'm not sure how far 100k would go tbh, but I do think "Planning, architect (just to design house and take care of planning), site clearance, water & ESB connection and foundation poured/installed €15,000 is way underestimated.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭delfagio

Again as others posted, I wouldn't be 100% where 100k would get you but here would be some typical costs to get outta the ground;

1). Architect, planning - 10,000euro total, this would be roughly costs for arch fees and doing drawings to get planning permission, and including approximately 6-7k euro for architect acting as Assigned Certifer

2). 2300sq ft house, would probably chew up approximately 12-15k euro for stripping driveway and house of topsoil, storing topsoil, digging and pouring foundations, rising walls, radon barrier, hard-core backfilling and pouring concrete subfloor. This would not be allowing for any bad ground conditions, which may effect foundations design, garage not included either. Again just approx costs, also assuming an even relatively level site that's clear, i.e. no muck away haulage or digging into sloping site.

3). ESB connection - 1851euro

4). Water connection - approximately 1500-2000euro, assuming the watermain is in a grass verge. However again depending on location of the watermain, if it's in the road you would need reinstatement of the road. If doing a well I'd say allow 6-7k euro for drilling well, pipework, pumps, treatment and testing etc.

5). Council Contribution Fees. This usually varies between County Councils but could be between 5k - 25k. Would be best to check this first with your architect

6). Solicitor fees for signing over and site, purchasing site and whatnot could be approx 1500-2000euro

So from above you would chew into your 100k by 30000euro upwards, but that's just rough working out, you would need a QS or someone like this to do costings for you to give you a more accurate guide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭Isaiah

Would it be cheaper to go with one of those Scandanavian style prefab houses?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Wegian

delfagio wrote: »
    Again as others posted, I wouldn't be 100% where 100k would get you but here would be some typical costs to get outta the ground;

1). Architect, planning - 10,000euro total, this would be roughly costs for arch fees and doing drawings to get planning permission, and including approximately 6-7k euro for architect acting as Assigned Certifer

2). 2300sq ft house, would probably chew up approximately 12-15k euro for stripping driveway and house of topsoil, storing topsoil, digging and pouring foundations, rising walls, radon barrier, hard-core backfilling and pouring concrete subfloor. This would not be allowing for any bad ground conditions, which may effect foundations design, garage not included either. Again just approx costs, also assuming an even relatively level site that's clear, i.e. no muck away haulage or digging into sloping site.

3). ESB connection - 1851euro

4). Water connection - approximately 1500-2000euro, assuming the watermain is in a grass verge. However again depending on location of the watermain, if it's in the road you would need reinstatement of the road. If doing a well I'd say allow 6-7k euro for drilling well, pipework, pumps, treatment and testing etc.

5). Council Contribution Fees. This usually varies between County Councils but could be between 5k - 25k. Would be best to check this first with your architect

6). Solicitor fees for signing over and site, purchasing site and whatnot could be approx 1500-2000euro

So from above you would chew into your 100k by 30000euro upwards, but that's just rough working out, you would need a QS or someone like this to do costings for you to give you a more accurate guide.

I concur with all of the, it may even be a bit conservative

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭play it again

What planet do you live on , or are you only involved in building lavish houses within a 20 drive of the spire in Dublin :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

Depending on where it is...

Most places outside of Dublin €275k max (ex site purchase) for 2300sq.ft house, im pricing these things on a daily basis for several contractors in the Munster and Connacht region

That will get you, builders finish plus timber flooring, tiled bathrooms, tiled kitchens, low spec carpet in bedrooms, stoned driveway, all connections etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Damiencm

EUR80 + per sq ft would be a good guide to final fitted finish..

Outside the large urban centres I would imagine it would be far cheaper to buy a house than build at the moment. Thats provided you see something you like of course 😀

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭play it again

100 grand will probably get you plastered externally , depending on site works etc , you might get first fix electrical and or plumbing depending how you do your raft , but I don't think much more than that and of course it depends how much you can do yourself or if you know anyone in the trades

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

Damiencm wrote: »

Fitted out? as in more than builders finish?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭castle

What planet do you live on , or are you only involved in building lavish houses within a 20 drive of the spire in Dublin :rolleyes:

I think this guy must have got stung by a builder when Celtic Tiger was roaring but now I think 120ish K will get you fine house, do you really need a house twice the size of the average house in Ireland, cost more to heat,maintenance etc, you be able build a lovely house with a size of about 1900 SQ ft just saying as I know many people who have built similar and bigger and regret it .

castle wrote:
    I think this guy must have got stung by a builder when Celtic Tiger was roaring but now I think 120ish K will get you fine house, do you really need a house twice the size of the average house in Ireland, cost more to heat,maintenance etc, you be able build a lovely house with a size of about 1900 SQ ft just saying as I know many people who have built similar and bigger and regret it .

I'll disagree with you on this. House built to todays standards building regulations, particularly Part L, are very little to run on heating costs generally.

But building to today's building regulations does cost. A Rated is the requirement nowadays. You can't get a Ferrari for the price of a Ford. It means more insulation, a lot more, better windows and doors, airtight envelopes, renewable energy's, HRV units etc. etc.

You can't build cheap houses like what was going up 10years ago, and why would you want to. If a new build house is going to be your new family home, personally why wouldn't you spend the money to get the best you can.

Cheers for all the replies folks,

I plan on installing a stove with a back boiler to heat the house and radiators, and also an oil burning central heating system it might be a bit 'old school' these days,

but being a farmer I have ample amount of firewood and turf to heat the house cheaply. A timber frame house heavily insulated should also hold the heat than say a house built 10 years ago.

Any idea what to plumb a said house be ?

My rough figures again

Stove €2,500
    Radiator say 20 @ €200 each €4,000
    Fittings,labour,pipe work cylinder etc. €5,000.00?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 west79

josephsoap wrote: »
    Cheers for all the replies folks,

I plan on installing a stove with a back boiler to heat the house and radiators, and also an oil burning central heating system it might be a bit 'old school' these days,

but being a farmer I have ample amount of firewood and turf to heat the house cheaply. A timber frame house heavily insulated should also hold the heat than say a house built 10 years ago.

Any idea what to plumb a said house be ?

My rough figures again

Stove €2,500
    Radiator say 20 @ €200 each €4,000
    Fittings,labour,pipe work cylinder etc. €5,000.00?

Have you got a provisional BER cert with that passing. You need to get some advice all the above is just pure guess work. You need some sort of specification to go by or you could get into a s##t load of trouble

Hi Joseph soap,

I would as another poster mentioned get a Provisional BER done. Number 1, you have to have this done in order to see if your house will comply with building regs and Part L. From the Provisional BER, you can work out with your BER Assessor and Architect, the type of design required, insulation levels and WHAT heating system AND Renewables you will need.

Oil alone and a stove would not meet Part L. This is a definite. You will need to add some solar panels either for Thermal or PV to help make up the 10kwh/m2/year that is required in Part L. Or you would have to scrap the oil and go with airsource heat pump or geothermal. This is what you would need to work out with your BER Assessor.

Plumbing costs can vary depending on spec and system sizing.

Oil burner could be approx 1000-2000euro. Oil tank and fill of oil approx 1000euro. Radiators, pipework and fittings could be up to 3000euro approximately or bit more. You would also have to look at room stats, boiler controls, etc.

Plumbing labour could be maybe 4k. As I said it's really hard to out a figure in it as we don't know specifics of your design, layout, heating demand etc.

How many bathrooms, ensuites do you plan on having. You would need to add in toilets, sinks, showers, shower trays and doors, wet room floor gullies, baths, taps, waste traps, waste pipe, soil stacks, pvc waste pipe fittings for various sizes, shower mixing values, shower heads, really the list goes on and on, so it's hard to give a cost.

castle wrote: »

Nonsense. €120k won't go anywhere near building a house to current regs & standards. Minimum cost is €120 sq ft with basic spec.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Damiencm wrote: »

Outside the large urban centres I would imagine it would be far cheaper to buy a house than build at the moment. Thats provided you see something you like of course 😀

€80 ?? Not a hope. Minimum is €120.

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

galwaytt wrote: »
    €80 ?? Not a hope. Minimum is €120.

I full agree with galwaytt on this being from the Northeast where labour is as cheap as anywere €120 per sq ft for a basic design house is the absolute bare minimum.

For plumbing of a house that size including a stove to meet part L your looking more like 20k than 10 IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Know you want to build your own but have you considered buying a house already built? Work it much cheaper and I'm sure there's no shortage in Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Wegian

kieran. wrote: »

For plumbing of a house that size including a stove to meet part L your looking more like 20k than 10 IMHO

The pricing i have done in the past few months tells me that this figure is closer to 30K than 10 or 20, unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Doorcase

Thinking of building next year....trying to do a bit of reading to get a idea of prices. Reading some of the prices here theres not a hope anybody would be able to build..125 euro per sq/foot minimum. It would be helpfull if some one who has build in the NW could comment on what they have actully spent and what it included. Its scary some of the prices been stated

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Doorcase wrote: »
    Thinking of building next year....trying to do a bit of reading to get a idea of prices. Reading some of the prices here theres not a hope anybody would be able to build..125 euro per sq/foot minimum. It would be helpfull if some one who has build in the NW could comment on what they have actully spent and what it included. Its scary some of the prices been stated

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057359777

...now I know this is completely off the end of the spectrum, but it does illustrate the gap there is between what people think they will do something for sometimes, and what they actually (sometimes) get (frankly) stung for: http://connachttribune.ie/family-hit-with-e7000-bill-for-water-connection/

Ode To The Motorist

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 144 ✭✭THE DON FANUCCI

haha i'd love to know what this guy is smoking

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

haha i'd love to know what this guy is smoking

Attack the post not the poster

I Recommend you Read the forum charter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

@the don
    im nearly finished a self build and I can guarantee your in for some shock when start, forget all the nonsense you hear from local guys that built (the rubbish housing stock) in the last 10 years, or anyone that quotes figures below €100/sq ft it just won't happen. Once you get into Airtightness, renewable energy, part L compliance, council fees, connections, solicitor, engineer, planning fees, there won't be much of a budget to build let along furnish the house.

Id safely save the labour cost will only be about 20/25% of your budget, at best you'll only be able to save a small percentage of this because you'll have to pay someone to build the house. The rest is eaten up by material costs and as much as lads tell you to haggle (and trust me I have) there's only so low the hardwares will sell a product. I've seen about 4/5 price increase on timber, 2/3 on insulation the list goes one.

While I think Bryan's figure of €350k is off for a 2300sq ft house don't cod yourself into thinking it can be done for €150k.
    I've seen someone build near me around the same time and cut every corner possible and trust me I wouldn't be living in that place for the rest of my life.

The lads on here were a great help when I was building and far closer to reality than the local Johnny down the pub who was spouting labour so cheap lads were working for free or deals he'd done with hardwares where they paid him to take the materials out of the yard.

I see you've posted across multiple threads now and the joy of the Internet is eventually someone will be on to tell you it can be done for €50sq ft but have a wonder why everyone else is saying it can't be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,978 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I'd be pretty confident that if you handed me €350k cash, I'd hand you back 2x3500sqft houses in a years time.

In fact, the most expensive house to buy at that size in Donegal on daft.ie is €295k
    and the cheapest being €155k which makes your figure all the more ridiculous.

Advertisement