Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How far will €100,000.00 go?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

Quazzie wrote: »
    I'd be pretty confident that if you handed me €350k cash, I'd hand you back 2x3500sqft houses in a years time.

In fact, the most expensive house to buy at that size in Donegal on daft.ie is €295k
    and the cheapest being €155k which makes your figure all the more ridiculous.

No offence intended but if you don't know the difference between the price of building and buying your not capable of contributing to the argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,978 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

hexosan wrote: »
    No offence intended but if you don't know the difference between the price of building and buying your not capable of contributing to the argument.
    I know plenty about the difference between building and buying. What a stupid statement to make. It's pretty safe to say though that if it costs twice as much to build a house than buy one then there would be absolutely no building trade in Donegal at all. I've built a 3000 sqft turnkey house for €200k so I'm well aware of what can and can't be built.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭RupertsHabit

Isaiah wrote: »
    Would it be cheaper to go with one of those Scandanavian style prefab houses?

This is a good option. I wonder why its so under used here.

I know plenty about the difference between building and buying. What a stupid statement to make. It's pretty safe to say though that if it costs twice as much to build a house than buy one then there would be absolutely no building trade in Donegal at all. I've built a 3000 sqft turnkey house for €200k so I'm well aware of what can and can't be built.

I could say I built a 6000sq ft house for €150k (turn key) but it doesn't mean much unless you give a breakdown of your costs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Pocoyo

OP my family built a 4 bed bungalow in kilkenny they were so tight it took 4 years to complete but cost 150k its a 4 bed palace with incredible stone work finish and marble throughout. If the project was hurried who knows how much it would of cost probably 250/300k so id imagine you could build a basic house for 80/100k just use the builders during quite periods and allow them to leave the site for a period of time whenever a more valuable job is open to them. Most builders go through quite periods where they dont have enough work for their guys and will do a deal where you will basically just be paying the costs of the onsite builders wage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Malcolm600f

120k will build you a house no problem..And plenty of good trades men knocking about doing nothing that will work for a days pay look around you will gets trades men for 60-80 quid a day...

Agree with above about keeping the house build smaller ,insulate better and when you are older and its only you and the missus in the house you will be glad of a small easy run house..
    Well insulated house is so important currently my house is costing me at the very most about 15 euro a week to heat

Pocoyo wrote: »
    OP my family built a 4 bed bungalow in kilkenny they were so tight it took 4 years to complete but cost 150k its a 4 bed palace with incredible stone work finish and marble throughout. If the project was hurried who knows how much it would of cost probably 250/300k so id imagine you could build a basic house for 80/100k just use the builders during quite periods and allow them to leave the site for a period of time whenever a more valuable job is open to them. Most builders go through quite periods where they dont have enough work for their guys and will do a deal where you will basically just be paying the costs of the onsite builders wage.

Told you if you wait long enough someone would be along.

Told you if you wait long enough someone would be along.

Arrogance paints you in a bad light sir,It seems you are hurt as you have been shown up i was unaware of your previous post,But i can tell you that all that assured nonsense you were spouting was incorrect.

120k will build you a house no problem..And plenty of good trades men knocking about doing nothing that will work for a days pay look around you will gets trades men for 60-80 quid a day...

Agree with above about keeping the house build smaller ,insulate better and when you are older and its only you and the missus in the house you will be glad of a small easy run house..
    Well insulated house is so important currently my house is costing me at the very most about 15 euro a week to heat

If they've no work and are willing to work for next to nothing I'd be questioning their ability. A good tradesman isn't short of work.

If they've no work and are willing to work for next to nothing I'd be questioning their ability. A good tradesman isn't short of work.
    Well maybe not where you are but sadly thats not the case in Donegal..;)

• Advertisement

A statement that indicates you indeed know not what you speak of.
    This conversation is over good day sir.

A statement that indicates you indeed know not what you speak of.
    This conversation is over good day sir.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Good point - pity I didnt think of that when building.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

josephsoap wrote: »
    Hypothetically speaking, if one was to (self) build a ~ 2000 to 2300 square foot dormer house (5 bedroom) block house in the north west (co. Donegal) how far would 100,000 go?

Rough figures:

Planning, architect (just to design house and take care of planning), site clearance, water & ESB connection and foundation poured/installed €15,000

Building of blocks up to wall plate level, including insulation and materials and labour €35,000

Roof including material and labour €30,000

External plastering €15,000

Windows and door €15,000

Approx. for 100/110k would it be possible to have a house weather tight ?

Builders are plentifully and would be delighted for a bit a work in my area.

Or am I way out on my figures? :-D

I think you are under estimating here. Otherwise reasonably ok though I am not sure about the quality of all windows and doors for €15k.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I honestly can't think of a single house being built in my area of Donegal, i'm sure there's one somewhere but construction in Donegal has all but stopped.
    Everyone here considering building just has to look at the cost compared to buying an existing house, and building just doesn't make sense.

Senna wrote: »
    Everyone here considering building just has to look at the cost compared to buying an existing house, and building just doesn't make sense.

Do agree buying a house now is cheap alot of bargains to be got ..
    Houses near me priced at 450k durning the "boom" sold not long ago for 150K.
    150K for nice stone clad 4 bedrooms 2 story big newbuild with sea views not bad to be honest...lol

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭893bet

100k will get a simple house 2000 sq ft airtight and maybe the first fix plumb, Electrics done.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,526 ✭✭✭✭fits

Do agree buying a house now is cheap alot of bargains to be got ..
    Houses near me priced at 450k durning the "boom" sold not long ago for 150K.
    150K for nice stone clad 4 bedrooms 2 story big newbuild with sea views not bad to be honest...lol

Thing is there are very few well built houses available in our area anyway. I think we are going to have to build ourselves for quality reasons alone.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

fits wrote: »
    Thing is there are very few well built houses available in our area anyway. I think we are going to have to build ourselves for quality reasons alone.

And that why you have to be prepared to pay the extra.

kceire wrote: »
    And that why you have to be prepared to pay the extra.

But people are forgetting It is in Donegal where the building cost will be alot cheaper than what the square mtr cost of building in lets say dublin..
    Would imagine materials are most likely cheaper too..

• Advertisement

But people are forgetting It is in Donegal where the building cost will be alot cheaper than what the square mtr cost of building in lets say dublin..
    Would imagine materials are most likely cheaper too..

Materials won't vary that much. Material price is governed globally. If anything in small counties with less competition material prices may be higher. Quality is also sometimes an issue also due to slower turn over, e.g my local merchants timber leaves a lot to be desired as turnover is slower so it's left stacked often out doors for a few weeks before the delivery is gone through.

893bet wrote: »
    Materials won't vary that much. Material price is governed globally. If anything in small counties with less competition material prices may be higher. Quality is also sometimes an issue also due to slower turn over, e.g my local merchants timber leaves a lot to be desired as turnover is slower so it's left stacked often out doors for a few weeks before the delivery is gone through.

Be inclined to disagree about cost difference,.,I know for a fact the difference between 2 Building supply yards where I am is massive and they are only 15 miles apart..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Would definitely agree there is an over supply in Donegal but if the house isn't constructed well enough or in the right locations, then the oversupply is irrelevant.

I could say I built a 6000sq ft house for €150k (turn key) but it doesn't mean much unless you give a breakdown of your costs.
    There is a thread on here on it that goes into massive detail of what was spent where. Feel free to search yourself. The house that boards built.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭overshoot

Senna wrote: »
    I honestly can't think of a single house being built in my area of Donegal, i'm sure there's one somewhere but construction in Donegal has all but stopped.
    plenty building, just the speculative stuff hasnt returned. harder to see a 1 off in the countryside than an estate in a town.
    I would agree (as an architect in sth donegal) that it is cheaper to buy then build however people have not yet come to appreciate the sheer difference in quality/running costs of a house today v boom or earlier... and that difference isnt visually obvious. Part L (basically your heating/insulation) jumped massively in 2011. It will cost you more now but in terms of comfort/running costs you will make it back and then some.

op we recently finished a c2200q.ft 2 story house, came in at 150k including air to water and all the basics (floors, kitchens, painting, tiling, bathroom fittings etc) installed but i dont believe that includes design/supervision costs / site / solicitor etc costs.
    now this was self build with a simple plan and there were family members in construction. that price would be hard to replicate without a severe amount of time from yourself in terms of project management.

Be inclined to disagree about cost difference,.,I know for a fact the difference between 2 Building supply yards where I am is massive and they are only 15 miles apart..

Absolutely. Assuming you shop around a little in Donegal in Dublin you will get the lowest price available to you and there won't be a huge difference in the lowest price in each county.

There is a thread on here on it that goes into massive detail of what was spent where. Feel free to search yourself. The house that boards built.

A lot has changed in 7 years.

893bet wrote: »
    A lot has changed in 7 years.
    I 100% agree (even though I only move in just over 4 years ago) but
    to say you couldn't get a 2300sqft house watertight for under €300k is mental no matter what the year.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I 100% agree (even though I only move in just over 4 years ago) but
    to say you couldn't get a 2300sqft house watertight for under €300k is mental no matter what the year.

Big difference between watertight and complete.
    Didn't the poster that quoted the 300k figure allow for fit out, contributions, professional fees etc?

• Advertisement

kceire wrote: »
    Big difference between watertight and complete.
    Didn't the poster that quoted the 300k figure allow for fit out, contributions, professional fees etc?
    No. The OP asked could get his house watertight for 100k and was then told it'd take 300-350k/

Advertisement