Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How far will €100,000.00 go?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

120k will build you a house no problem..And plenty of good trades men knocking about doing nothing that will work for a days pay look around you will gets trades men for 60-80 quid a day...

Agree with above about keeping the house build smaller ,insulate better and when you are older and its only you and the missus in the house you will be glad of a small easy run house..
    Well insulated house is so important currently my house is costing me at the very most about 15 euro a week to heat

Can you pm me these "tradesmen" who will work for €60 - €80 a day? I'll send them to work and take the cream.

Not a chance are decent tradesmen working for that money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Malcolm600f

mfceiling wrote: »
    Can you pm me these "tradesmen" who will work for €60 - €80 a day? I'll send them to work and take the cream.

Not a chance are decent tradesmen working for that money.

Why would tradesmen not work for that .Remember there is a high unemployment rate in Donegal so people are happy to be working and getting a wage..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭893bet

Why would tradesmen not work for that .Remember there is a high unemployment rate in Donegal so people are happy to be working and getting a wage..

You mean fella drawing dole and working for 60 quid a day?

I wouldn't trust them on my house personally. Pay peanuts you get monkeys!

893bet wrote: »
    You mean fella drawing dole and working for 60 quid a day?

I wouldn't trust them on my house personally. Pay peanuts you get monkeys!

So the tradesman who is on the dole of no choice of his own but due to living in a low employment area is just a monkey..Possibly the same lad who built or plastered your house in Dublin durning the boom..Was the work any better then just because he was on 15 euro a hour .. Wise the hell up with the stupid dole bashing comments ..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭893bet

So the tradesman who is on the dole of no choice of his own but due to living in a low employment area is just a monkey..Possibly the same lad who built or plastered your house in Dublin durning the boom..Was the work any better then just because he was on 15 euro a hour .. Wise the hell up with the stupid dole bashing comments ..

Good tradesmen are never idle and don't work for 60 euro a day.

I would be ashamed to pay a fella that to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

893bet wrote: »
    Good tradesmen are never idle and don't work for 60 euro a day.

I would be ashamed to pay a fella that to be honest.

Plenty of good tradesmen idle in Donegal, there is no construction here. Most have to travel for work and many head away for months on end but when they're back home with family, yes they are idle.
    I don't know any working for 60 a day, but I'm sure there are some who would take it to make ends meet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I don't believe €60 -€80/day tbh.

I had a small roof job done on my garage lately in Galway. Took 3 guys the guts of a day- €125 each.

I've had a small plumbing repair done and one day's labour cost me €140.

I had wiring repaired on my gates in August - a half day cost me €90.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »

I had a small roof job done on my garage lately in Galway. Took 3 guys the guts of a day- €125 each.

As you said Galway..And as I pointed out high unemployment rate in Donegal ..
    Lower pay is better than no pay...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

galwaytt wrote: »

Big difference in someone quoting for one days work and someone quoting for a job that could last weeks/months. Still not saying 60 is realistic, but one days work will always be higher in these times.

As you said Galway..And as I pointed out high unemployment rate in Donegal ..
    Lower pay is better than no pay...;)

...and if they happen to be drawing UB in which case they're getting 2 x pay.... ;);)

...and pricing others out of work...........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Troy2013

I don't know how cheap labour is in donegal but we have just had work quoted- 3 builders- for a renovation and extension job in Cork and it seems €100k won't get very far at all!! For builders finish (i.e. no flooring, kitchen, doors, skirting, painting, landscaping etc.) we are looking at figures between €130-€145per square foot. This was for a very basic design although with an emphasis on insulation and air tightness.

I think if you know enough to go direct labour and are not too hung up on air tightness or elaborate design you can build cheaper than the figures we were quoted but I still would doubt €100K would get you to water tight stage.

The prices we got are far outside our budget so we are back to the drawing board. However, if anyone who knows someone building at €80 per square foot in Cork then I am all ears :)

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

Troy2013 wrote: »
    However, if anyone who knows someone building at €80 per square foot in Cork then I am all ears :)

In Kerry you might get someone to quote €1,100/m2 for builders finish right now. Prices are rising steadily, partly due to demand exceeding supply, and partly due to rising materials costs. If you want a builder who is capable of building to near passive house standard without daily supervision then you will pay even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭kyeev

I built a house outside Galway in 2011 (moved in Jan 2012) for about 60 euro per square foot, so it is (was) possible... Post 87

kyeev wrote: »
    I built a house outside Galway in 2011 (moved in Jan 2012) for about 60 euro per square foot, so it is (was) possible... Post 87

Whilst you did well, then, that was 5+ years ago.

Different landscape (sic) now, and materials likewise.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭nantony98

I have toyed with the idea of building a holiday home in donegal, even a very small home but the cost to comply with the regulations makes it totally impractical.

Essentially I would be forced to build a super insulated home which would be useless to me when I'm there almost exclusively in the summer.

At the same time people fix an existing property and they are financially incentivised to do any work to their house. It doesn't make sense.

One poster said he had a plentiful supply of wood and turf but that doesn't matter , he has no choice, he has to spend his hard earned money to build an energy efficient house. Why , so he can save money on free fuel.

I agree that we should build as efficiently as possible but it should be up to the home owner to decide the level of insulation they need.

Just an opinion, rant over, drops mic, leaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Doorcase

Hi, I am in this position. Building a new house this year and would like to put in oil, solid fuel back boiler with solar as renewable and it is wrecking my head. I have free turf and wood to burn so would not be even using oil that often, only as a back up. I am finding it hard to get this with solar as it will take 10000 euro to install amount of solar required and this is with a wood burning stove without a back boiler. So it looks like ill have to spend 30k or above to get a pump and then pay high electricity bills for rest of my life while i struggle to pay a mortgage. It is very frustrating and at this point in time i am just about to say the hell with it and do my own thing

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Doorcase wrote: »
    Hi, I am in this position. Building a new house this year and would like to put in oil, solid fuel back boiler with solar as renewable and it is wrecking my head. I have free turf and wood to burn so would not be even using oil that often, only as a back up. I am finding it hard to get this with solar as it will take 10000 euro to install amount of solar required and this is with a wood burning stove without a back boiler. So it looks like ill have to spend 30k or above to get a pump and then pay high electricity bills for rest of my life while i struggle to pay a mortgage. It is very frustrating and at this point in time i am just about to say the hell with it and do my own thing

Start a new thread, as you are wayyy off topic

And research 'log gasification boilers'

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭sheff the ref

Your €15,000 for planning, architect, foundation etc. is well underestimated, even with a direct labour build and since March 2014 you cannot self build, you have to have a project manager. The Council contribution is likely to be a significant 4 or 5 figure sum

There are factors to take into account.

1.You may be happy to live in 3 rooms and not finish the others for a period of time.

2.You may have a relatively level site needing minimal groundworks

3.You may have personal expertise or access to voluntary expertise and machinery for the different tradeswork that needs to be done.

I have seen houses built by direct labour with minimal groundworks, very little internal work done and a long way from final finish, but people are living in two rooms, bedroom, ensuite bathroom and kitchen cum livingroom and tipping away at the house from then on. It is not everyone's cup of tea to have constant work going on when they live in the house but sometimes needs must. A lot comes down to the terms of the mortgage for drawdowns but for a self build person who has either cash or a short term loan you can be more flexible about how long a house takes. However you have to ensure the engineer signs it off.

Building a house is a learning process even if you have had a line into previous projects, every house is different, some throw up less costs, some throw up more costs.

Some people do not like the idea of people building houses for less money with voluntary labour etc. as it creates a perception that houses can be built for good value with significant prudence

A hymac costs X amount per hour, but if your brother has one and is willing to do it, then the €120 per square foot price is not accurate in your case. If your father is a retired carpenter looking for a hobby then the chances are that you might have a roof and internal carpentry looked after. Again €120 per square foot does not apply. There is no right or wrong answer
    josephsoap wrote: »
    Hypothetically speaking, if one was to (self) build a ~ 2000 to 2300 square foot dormer house (5 bedroom) block house in the north west (co. Donegal) how far would 100,000 go?

Rough figures:

Planning, architect (just to design house and take care of planning), site clearance, water & ESB connection and foundation poured/installed €15,000

Building of blocks up to wall plate level, including insulation and materials and labour €35,000

Roof including material and labour €30,000

External plastering €15,000

Windows and door €15,000

Approx. for 100/110k would it be possible to have a house weather tight ?

Builders are plentifully and would be delighted for a bit a work in my area.

Or am I way out on my figures? :-D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Your €15,000 for planning, architect, foundation etc. is well underestimated, even with a direct labour build and since March 2014 you cannot self build, you have to have a project manager. The Council contribution is likely to be a significant 4 or 5 figure sum

There are factors to take into account.

1.You may be happy to live in 3 rooms and not finish the others for a period of time.

2.You may have a relatively level site needing minimal groundworks

3.You may have personal expertise or access to voluntary expertise and machinery for the different tradeswork that needs to be done.

I have seen houses built by direct labour with minimal groundworks, very little internal work done and a long way from final finish, but people are living in two rooms, bedroom, ensuite bathroom and kitchen cum livingroom and tipping away at the house from then on. It is not everyone's cup of tea to have constant work going on when they live in the house but sometimes needs must. A lot comes down to the terms of the mortgage for drawdowns but for a self build person who has either cash or a short term loan you can be more flexible about how long a house takes. However you have to ensure the engineer signs it off.

Building a house is a learning process even if you have had a line into previous projects, every house is different, some throw up less costs, some throw up more costs.

Some people do not like the idea of people building houses for less money with voluntary labour etc. as it creates a perception that houses can be built for good value with significant prudence

A hymac costs X amount per hour, but if your brother has one and is willing to do it, then the €120 per square foot price is not accurate in your case. If your father is a retired carpenter looking for a hobby then the chances are that you might have a roof and internal carpentry looked after. Again €120 per square foot does not apply. There is no right or wrong answer

Since September 2015 SI365 allows self build on one off houses through an "Opt Out" option.

Advertisement