Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anything on in Dublin on Sunday (traffic-wise)?

Options
  • 04-11-2015 7:13pm

Hi folks,

I do a small bit of work that every now and again takes me into the heart of the capital. Effectively, I'm darting around Dublin non-stop, against the clock, zig-zagging around. Like a post man of sorts.

Anyway, I usually head to dublin to do my deeds on Sundays, as traffic is usually non-existent and you can get about the place much quicker (especially if you're an early bird, although the winter mornings, and me needing daylight (photo work) means I can only get there as early as 7:30).

Anyway, I know the web summit is on at the moment, and I know the marathon was last week, so Im not sure if there's something on at the weekend (sunday specifically) or not.

Was wondering if anyone knows? I'm a bit against the clock, so if it's gonna be road closures galore for an event that's on, I'd rather go up tomorrow or Friday, but if it's a normal sunday, It'd make life a lot easier to do things then.

Was wondering if anyone knew of anything I should be aware of?

Cheers for the help :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Dubwat

http://www.theaa.ie/AA/AA-Roadwatch/Dublin.aspx

AA Roadwatch for Dublin might be worth a look Sat night?

Dubwat wrote: »
    http://www.theaa.ie/AA/AA-Roadwatch/Dublin.aspx

AA Roadwatch for Dublin might be worth a look Sat night?

Not sure what the link is, but it won't open for me?

Thing is I'm kinda looking for more advance notice than that, though (the night before). Effectively, I take photos of different landmarks (sketching around the truth there a bit). I've to photograph a fair few places in dublin, but only have a day to do it.

Normally Dublin is quiet on sundays, so you can zoom around the place without much hassle (rather than sitting in traffic, looking for parking spots, getting in peoples way etc. during the week). So I'd like to head up on Sunday, but if there's an obvious issue with that that I'm not aware of (ie; event organised or such) then I'd rather head up on, say, friday (though sunday, assuming there's nothing on, would massively be my preference).

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭robjones1981

FAI Cup Final in the Aviva - 3.30 kick off - could be 20,000 at it

FAI Cup Final in the Aviva - 3.30 kick off - could be 20,000 at it

Would i be correct in guessing that the city will function as normal, traffic-wise, except the immediate surrounding area of the Aviva? From around 2:30ish? (I don't care about afterwards as I'll be leaving the city around 5ish and plan to be on the M50, so gonna work from the city centre outwards).

Is there no official Dublin calendar of events or such online? would be fairly handy?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

For the FAI Cup final, there's talk of about 8,000 coming up from Cork and 10,000 down from Dundalk. That would be the M1 then M50 around to Dublin Port being heavy with traffic coming from Dundalk and then M8 through Tallaght, Terenure and along the Canal from Cork, every year I usually walk down the canal to the Final and it's always like a car park. Throw into the fact that the Womens Cup Final is on at 12.30, you'll probably have a small crowd coming up from Wexford and a bit of a crowd coming from parts of Dublin for Shelbourne.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

Would i be correct in guessing that the city will function as normal, traffic-wise, except the immediate surrounding area of the Aviva? From around 2:30ish? (I don't care about afterwards as I'll be leaving the city around 5ish and plan to be on the M50, so gonna work from the city centre outwards).

Is there no official Dublin calendar of events or such online? would be fairly handy?

Google the Garda Traffic twitter.. always update and will tell you where to avoid around the Aviva etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭omicron

Metropolis festival in the RDS Saturday and Sunday, will add to traffic around D2/D4.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

omicron wrote: »
    Metropolis festival in the RDS Saturday and Sunday, will add to traffic around D2/D4.

Yeah but that's evening time, OP plans to leave by 5pm

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭omicron

Yeah but that's evening time, OP plans to leave by 5pm

Starts around 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

omicron wrote: »
    Starts around 2.

Oh, sorry presumed it was starting later.:o

• Advertisement

Well I've worked out the places I need to be, and what with the metropolis thing on and the sport, too, I decided to try and break it into two days, and did a small bit today. According my satnav, my route (which has 12 different places left on it) will take me about 2.5 hours. So with stopping, taking photos, etc. i reckon it'll realistically be about 3.5-4 hours.

So I hope, all going well, that if I can get in to the first spot for 7:30am (sunrise), i'll hopefully, all going well, be on the way home for 11am-ish. Most of my stuff is in the centre of the city, but north of the river, and then I've a few small bits south of it (near the aviva/etc) so I'll aim to start at the most southerly point and work north from there, hopefully meaning that as the buses and such arrive to the RDS/Aviva, etc. I'll be elsewhere (fingers crossed!).

I appreciate the heads up in the thread about the few bits on.

Relatedly, here's a quick question for ye more knowledgeable than I: what's the bus corridor at college green? Have nightmares of the sat nav sending me somewhere that I cant go and getting stuck in traffic for ages, trying to divert from it (im not too familiar with the ins and outs of dublin. Could find Parnell st, Stephens green, etc., but wouldn't know names of most places). anyone able to point out on a (google) map where the bus corridor is that private cars can't travel?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Dodge wrote: »

Thanks for that. Is it just the area in the red circle? Just trying to familiarise myself with (as i know the aim is to make it permanent/24 hours) so if i ever see the satnav bringing me through it i can divert it. :)

Cheers again for that link :)

Well I know ye're all sitting at home, panic-stricken wondering how I got on, and I was grand. Got into Dublin at 7:15am and left at 5:00pm (lot longer than I'd hoped, but such is life, was all work related).

Scheduled my route so I started in the City Centre, went south towards/past the Aviva/RDS and then curled back up along the M50. Didn't see any major traffic at all (with the exception of one stretch of road with roadworks, but can't for the life of me remember the name of it. Was north Dublin anyway). If only Dublin was that easy to manoeuvre around all the time :P

Cheers for the help, guys. I appreciate it. :)

Advertisement