Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solicitors fees

Options
  • 04-11-2015 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Hi
    im a bit confused and want to see am i right before i start asking my solicitor

recently bought a house and got the following quote from a solicitor
    Professional fees for purchase 1'660
    if Land registery
    registeration application fees 700
    registration of mortgauge 175
    new filo 40
    legal searches 120
    commissioner of oaths fee 50
    postage and petties 30

Where i am getting confused is that i was told our new 2nd hand house is anew style folio contract, so why are i being charged the full amount in fees.

can someone give me a quick explaination

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

tippgod wrote:
    recently bought a house and got the following quote from a solicitor
    Professional fees for purchase 1'660
    if Land registery
    registeration application fees 700
    registration of mortgauge 175
    new filo 40
    legal searches 120
    commissioner of oaths fee 50
    postage and petties 30
    it's something I'd like to know the full cost of as well or near enough. I've 2500k and others less then 2k love a breakdown of what they actually charge

• Registered Users Posts: 68,910 ✭✭✭✭L1011

1,600 is VERY high for professional fees, even if a VAT inclusive cost.

L1011 wrote:
    1,600 is VERY high for professional fees, even if a VAT inclusive cost.
    what can we expect? Hopefully going to be going through the process of buying in the next 6/9 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

€1660 is on the high side. You should get it for €1000 to €1200 plus vat. I've seen some people quote on here €900 plus vat.
    The important thing is to get a good proactive solicitor. Don't base your decision just on the cost.

Santy2015 wrote: »
    what can we expect? Hopefully going to be going through the process of buying in the next 6/9 months.

I managed to get it for 800 ex VAT (and including postage/sundries) but I believe that to be the low end of the scale. I wouldn't want to pay more than 1000 ex VAT.

• Advertisement

I've seen some quoted around the 800 mark. But what else is involved? Is there a breakdown?

Santy2015 wrote: »
    I've seen some quoted around the 800 mark. But what else is involved? Is there a breakdown?

All the other bits in your quote are fixed or related to the price of the house and will be charged by everyone.

L1011 wrote:
    All the other bits in your quote are fixed or related to the price of the house and will be charged by everyone.
    ah right I see. This all whirlwind stuff. Saving is hard but buying the house will be harder haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

€1600 isn't bad IMO, we used to quote €1500 fee ex vat for purchase and mortgage, couldn't really do it for less. I'd be worried that a Solicitor who would do work like that for as little as €800 wouldn't be giving it the time and attention it deserves.

€1600 isn't bad IMO, we used to quote €1500 fee ex vat for purchase and mortgage, couldn't really do it for less. I'd be worried that a Solicitor who would do work like that for as little as €800 wouldn't be giving it the time and attention it deserves.

Two/three years ago you'd have been laughed off the phone quoting €1500 to someone. Nothing has changed on that front other than a few more people buying - the other fees are charged regardless.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    Two/three years ago you'd have been laughed off the phone quoting €1500 to someone. Nothing has changed on that front other than a few more people buying - the other fees are charged regardless.

No one ever "laughed me off the phone." Most people recognised that figure as being quite reasonable.

No one ever "laughed me off the phone." Most people recognised that figure as being quite reasonable.

Considering I didn't get a single quote of over 1000, I wouldn't have considered it even approaching reasonable.

Unless you were exclusively practicing with clients in D4, I think you might have selective hearing loss...

L1011 wrote: »
    Considering I didn't get a single quote of over 1000, I wouldn't have considered it even approaching reasonable.

Unless you were exclusively practicing with clients in D4, I think you might have selective hearing loss...

nope and nope. Several clients commented that it compared very favourably with other quotes they had received, maybe you're in a different location. Lots of solicitors will offer cheap conveyancing as a sort of loss leader to get people on their client list. We stopped doing that as it wasn't really effective at generating revenue. As I said a house purchase requires time and attention, I doubt any solicitor could charge in the region of €800 and actually give it the time it needs.

nope and nope. Several clients commented that it compared very favourably with other quotes they had received, maybe you're in a different location. Lots of solicitors will offer cheap conveyancing as a sort of loss leader to get people on their client list. We stopped doing that as it wasn't really effective at generating revenue. As I said a house purchase requires time and attention, I doubt any solicitor could charge in the region of €800 and actually give it the time it needs.

I didn't restrict myself to solicitors from my location, due to there realistically being no need for them to be local.

Got one or two quotes of 1,000 (ex VAT, professional fees only). Didn't get any above. Would consider anyone quoting above that too expensive to use for any business, tbh.

Advertisement