Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Travelling with pet dog - belgium to Ireland

• 04-11-2015 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi there, I am travelling with a pet dog from Belgium to Ireland in December with aerlingus. I am a little confused with the aerlingus website - they seem to suggest using an external courier company to bring the pet over, that company has quoted me 700 euros for bringing the dog to Ireland.
    I'm wondering if anyone has travelled from Europe to Ireland with aerlingus and with a pet and is this how you did it. I expected that maybe the dog would simply go in the hold of the aircraft on the same flight as me.
    As it is 700 euro it would be cheaper to leave the dog in Belgium with a dog sitter for the 2 weeks.
    Thanks in advance for your help.
    -Pat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭alltacht

Hi there,
    While I haven't actually made the journey I've heavily researched it as we were wanting to bring our dog to Spain next year.
    First of all she will need to have had her rabies shot 6 months previous to your travel dates, as well as her passport etc.
    We got quotes a lot higher than 700 for the external courier service. It was about 1000 each way!
    So it works out prohibitively expensive for most people I'm afraid. We are going to drive instead as she always travels with us.
    Is driving an option for you? Otherwise a good petsitter would be the least stressful for you both!
    All the best

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Vancity

We are bringing our dog from Canada to Ireland in December as we are relocating home permanently. I don't advise doing it unless it's a permanent relocation as there is so much work involved and it can potentially be traumatic for the dog.

For some reason (it seems to stem from Ireland being a rabies free island) dogs must travel into Ireland as manifest cargo rather than in the cabin or the hold of an airplane. So essentially you are getting a quote for an overnight "package" to be delivered to Ireland. After a lot of research and stress we decided to fly to Paris with our dog in the cabin of the plane with us (she is small enough) and travel overland to London (Eurotunnel) where we'll stay with relatives for a couple of days and then on to Ireland via train and ferry from Holyhead to Dublin. It's a crazy journey but worth it to avoid having her travel as cargo because I would just never forgive myself if something went wrong.

Just on the shots requirement - we have gotten everything approved at this point and the rabies shot is only required 21 days or more prior to travel and must be administered after microchip implantation. So perhaps Spain requires a 6 month rabies requirement but I don't think so - from what we were told by the Canadian and UK authorities and online research, the requirements to come into the EU are uniform other than both Ireland and UK requiring an additional tapeworm treatment.

I can't post the link as a new user but if you google "bringing pets into the EU or UK or Ireland" you will find the regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 home1

Ah okay - good to hear the same thing from other people. I think it makes sense to just leave the dog here in Belgium - 2 weeks with a dog sitter should be okay for the dog - financially of course it makes much more sense.

Advertisement