Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

While away a few hours in Dublin...

Options
  • 04-11-2015 8:49pm

...Saturday afternoon, with wife and a buggy.

Have done Kilmainham Jail. No interest in Guinness Storehouse. Was thinking Glasnevin Cemetery, or if raining National Gallery and Natural History Museum.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

IMMA?

Stheno wrote: »
    IMMA?

Was there before, when visiting the nearby Jail. Great building and nice to stroll around...but wasn't overly taken by the art itself, but that's just a personal taste thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

The zoo?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Little museum of Dublin?

http://www.littlemuseum.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Glasnevin Cemetery and Botanic Gardens is great, stop by for one of the best pints of plain in Kavanaghs Gravediggers after it.... :)

• Advertisement

whiskeyman wrote: »
    The zoo?

I remember it being a pretty grim place...kid too young for it but maybe in a couple of years.
    Little museum of Dublin?

http://www.littlemuseum.ie/

Heard great reviews, but seems to be more a cultural than artefacts thing. I dunno, I like museums to have...notable things. Short attention span. So I could run around Glasnevin and tick off famous graves, or go to the National Gallery and make a beeline for the Caravaggio or Picassos.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Have you been to the Dublin forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,469 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Dundrum

then

Airfield farm

then

http://imaginosity.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Massage with happy ending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Count the Junkies on the liffey boardwalk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Chester Beatty Library in Dublin Castle.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I remember it being a pretty grim place...kid too young for it but maybe in a couple of years.

Heard great reviews, but seems to be more a cultural than artefacts thing. I dunno, I like museums to have...notable things. Short attention span. So I could run around Glasnevin and tick off famous graves, or go to the National Gallery and make a beeline for the Caravaggio or Picassos.

Zoo is far from grim these days, it's a wonderful place to visit. A small child will probably get more of a buzz seeing the animals than a lot of things you could do.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭.Henry Sellers.

Why are you going around Dublin with an empty buggy?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

He got it free off the social, or so the story goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭Lights On

Where else do you expect someone to put the shopping?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

He got it free off the social, or so the story goes.

Get the story straight FFS, he found it, carelessly abandoned at a bus stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

IMMA?

No. Avoid like the plague. Grounds are nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

DART to Dun Laoire. Stroll along the pier. Have an ice cream. Go to new library. Admire or complain about architecture. Children's library. Free internet. Free read of the papers. Go to top public floor and sit and look at that miraculous window with a huge stretch of sky falling down to the sea and the boats.

Leave Fleawuss alone: will probably be there looking at local histories.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,067 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Chester Beatty library

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭SpaceSasqwatch

marley park if its dry out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Dundrum

then

Airfield farm

then

http://imaginosity.ie/

Dundrum like the shopping centre? Not worth the hassle on a Saturday. There is a craft shop thing at the south end of the red carpark on level 3 or something that might be worth a look for older kids.

Airfield is absolutely brilliant.

Imaginosity is erm. If the kid's too young for the zoo, he or she is too young for Imaginosity. Last time I was there with kids in tow a fair bit of stuff was very worn which didn't bother the wee ones but made my wallet huff. Kids enjoyed it, though.

Why not take the Dart outside the city limits?

eviltwin wrote: »
    Zoo is far from grim these days, it's a wonderful place to visit. A small child will probably get more of a buzz seeing the animals than a lot of things you could do.

10 months old though.

See a few have referred to the Chester Beatty which I heard is amazing, but again sounds like a place you'd need to get immersed in to truly appreciate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Our Hop-on Hop-off Bus Tour allows you experience all the history and culture of Dublin in one visit.

There are two routes on the tour, the Original route is 1 hour 45 minutes long with 23 stops conveniently located close to Dublin's most popular attractions. You can hop-off at any time to go visit attractions like Dublin Zoo, the Guinness Storehouse or The Book of Kells in Trinity College. Your guide will point out all the most famous landmarks and points of interest along the way, showing you where famous Dubliners like James Joyce, Oscar Wilde and Samuel Beckett (among others) lived and spent their time.

The second route is through Dublin’s Docklands, and takes 35 minutes with 8 stops including The Jeanie Johnston Famine Memorial ship, The Bord Gáis Energy Theatre and The National Convention Centre. You can also hop-off at Stop 7 to take a Dublin Bay Cruise.

Buses start at 9am daily, and arrive at each stop every 10-15 minutes. You’ll enjoy live commentary from our Bord Fáilte Ireland accredited drivers, all native Dubliners who will charm and entertain you. We also provide pre-recorded multilingual tours in 10 languages, which operate every 30 minutes.

Your ticket is valid on BOTH routes. Not only that, but kids go..... FREE too (2 under 14 with a fare paying adult), and you will receive a free Pat Liddy Walking Tour of Dublin, worth €10 with each Hop-on Hop-off ticket purchased. You can also avail of FREE entry into The Little Museum of Dublin at St. Stephen’s Green, worth €7, an offer which is exclusive to Green Bus Tour customers.

Private Bookings email: info@dublinsightseeing.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Get sauced in Temple Bar

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭tigerboon

Dublin bay boat tour to Howth, lunch in one of the seafood restaurants there, and Dart back. Bit expensive but not a bad day out

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Glasnevin is worth doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Get out to Lansdowne Road early ahead of the big match Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

...Saturday afternoon, with wife and a buggy.

Have done Kilmainham Jail. No interest in Guinness Storehouse. Was thinking Glasnevin Cemetery, or if raining National Gallery and Natural History Museum.

Any suggestions?

If you're going to Glasnevin Cemetery my suggestion is to take the tour, its fantastic and you'll be amazed at the stories behind the names on the grave stones.

If you're going to Glasnevin Cemetery my suggestion is to take the tour, its fantastic and you'll be amazed at the stories behind the names on the grave stones.

Thanks. Was wondering would the tour add much to just heading around to see the main ones, I kinda like guided walking tours though and think we'll go with that...weather permitting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Fleawuss wrote: »
    DART to Dun Laoire. Stroll along the pier. Have an ice cream. Go to new library. Admire or complain about architecture. Children's library. Free internet. Free read of the papers. Go to top public floor and sit and look at that miraculous window with a huge stretch of sky falling down to the sea and the boats.

Leave Fleawuss alone: will probably be there looking at local histories.
    Dont forget the junkies

Op, take the DART out to Howth, its far nicer than Dun Laoghaire

Advertisement