Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

While away a few hours in Dublin...

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

Dont forget the junkies

Op, take the DART out to Howth, its far nicer than Dun Laoghaire

The steel toe cap, sir, the steel toe cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Botanic Gardens, it's a lovely walk around if it's dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Try Funland, I hear the the Tunnel of Goats is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

Airfield is pants, unless I missed something.. Don't get the hype at all

Go to the Disney store and buy really cute expensive stuff for the baby.

Glasnevin cemetery is good, great during the summer when you can sit on the field outside the gravediggers with a pint.

Botanic gardens? Never been myself but heard good things.

The zoo is great these days, I always enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

Wander round merrion square and the natural history museum

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Thanks. Was wondering would the tour add much to just heading around to see the main ones, I kinda like guided walking tours though and think we'll go with that...weather permitting.

They now have an entrance to the botanic gardens from the cemetery. Head over to the Addison lodge for something to eat

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

...Saturday afternoon, with wife and a buggy.

Have done Kilmainham Jail. No interest in Guinness Storehouse. Was thinking Glasnevin Cemetery, or if raining National Gallery and Natural History Museum.

Any suggestions?

Imaginosity The Childrens Museum.

I have heard very good things about this place, only a 5 minute walk from the nearest Luas stop. Open till 6 on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

supermacs, you'll feel at home, before you head home

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 323 ✭✭emigrate2012

Buy two caramellos, and 6 Dutch gold. Eat the chocolate, save the foil wrappers(they'll come in handy later...)

Go the boardwalk, drink a few tins.
    Get talking to the regulars,buy a q bag.
    Next, scorch the gold from the foil with your lighter. Roll one into a tube, fold the other into a channel, chase the dragon.
    Day will be done before you know it(missus and buggy will definitely help ya fit in.) ðŸ˜

Joking aside though, glasnevin tour is the way to go, well worth it. Botanic gardens afterwards, free, a lovely stroll with sculptures dotted around the place. Should be lovely now as the leaves are turning and haven't yet all dropped.
    Also the gravediggers for a pint or two of Guinness, it's pure cream.

Boardwalk is an option though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Count the Junkies on the liffey boardwalk.

Im not sure if the kid can count that high yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Collins Barracks museum (can never remember its proper title ... history and decorative arts, is it?) - have taken adults and children of all ages there and never had a wasted day. Most of them want to go back again because they can't do it all in one visit.

Chester Beatty library is good for adults or mature teenage children, but you've got to be into the fine arts.

Took three children to the new Dún Laoghaire library about ten days ago, thinking it'd be a good way to waste a wet morning. I thought it was great, eldest child (10) got stuck in straight away, youngest (5) was overwhelmed by the size of it and didn't know where to go, so (literally ;) ) stood in one spot for about half an hour while I sorted his sisters out ...

Back in Dublin - window shopping in the Georges Street Arcade, then continue through to the Powerscourt Townhouse Centre, wander up Grafton St. to catch a few buskers, then back through Temple Bar and the Essex St area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

biko wrote: »
    Get sauced in Temple Bar

OP asked how to while away a few hours, not his entire bank account.

Moved to Dublin City forum, please read their charter before posting.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Thanks. Was wondering would the tour add much to just heading around to see the main ones, I kinda like guided walking tours though and think we'll go with that...weather permitting.

Aside from seeing the well known graves (after you find them :D), the tour will add the history of the cemetery itself, political history behind the main figures (though you may be well versed in that already) and you will be brought inside Daniel O'Connell's crypt which is below the Round Tower - you can't get into it any other way, tour guides let the groups in with a key and lock it after them. Well worth getting in there in my opinion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

Collins Barracks Soldiers and Chiefs exhibition.
    Protip : walk up to Arbour Hill church afterwards and check the graves of the 1916 leaders round the back.
    Afterwards walk through Grangegorman , wow at the new Campus being built, walk down to Smithfield and enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

...Saturday afternoon, with wife and a buggy.

Was thinking ... Natural History Museum.
    Avoid the dead zoo if you have a buggy in tow. It can get very crowded and the exhibits leave little aisle space.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Stheno wrote: »
    Little museum of Dublin?

http://www.littlemuseum.ie/

This place is excellent, and if you buy your ticket online they're nearly half price, well worth a visit

21/25

Went to Glasnevin. Too late for last tour. Went to Museum. Meh. Not great. Half closed down because they are setting up some new exhibition, so for €12 saw a 10 minute video about the place that was mildly interesting.

Got map and took off to find graves of the usual, Barry, Casement, Parnell, de Valera etc.

Was about to leave when a fellow swigging a can of cider and reeking of drink came up and started asking us where were we from. He then said he would show us some interesting graves. Was obviously very guarded at first, but as his story unfolded it was fascinating. His twin brother who died at 2 months was buried there, along with a 17 year old sister who drowned. He spends days every week there, he started by showing us graves that were not on the map we bought at the Museum, the Manchester Martyrs cenotaph, a victim of the Bachelor's Walk massacre, one of the main catalysts of 1916 etc. But it was the personal stuff that really grabbed him, unusual inscriptions, carvings etc. He scuttled from grave to grave, only pausing to open another can of Bulmers foaming from the jogging. His enthusiasm was infectious, made it one very memorable and lovely afternoon.

Advertisement