Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time renter - my rights ?

Options
  • 04-11-2015 9:00pm

Hi just need a few pointers as to what my rights/responsibilities are in regards to renting a room in a property.

I'm paying the deposit next week - I am paying by check. The landlord has asked if I'm going to be paying rent by this payment method every month - is a check payment the norm? I'm reluctant to pay cash.

Do I have the right to a rent book? Do I put down what bills I pay in this, as well as rent?

How do I pay the bills? I presume they will vary slightly each month so a direct debit of a specified amount each month would make no sense.

I'm sure I can go through all of this with landlord next month but I'd just like to have a general idea before I meet him! Anything else I should know? Also, upon moving out and looking for deposit back, will the amount I get back be based just on the condition of my bedroom? The bathroom and kitchen areas are shared with 3 other people.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Make sure you get a dated receipt for the deposit! I'd ask if paying by bank transfer/standing order is possible going forward. Cash is inconvenient and potentially risky.

Bills you would usually take care of yourself (either by arrangement with the provider, or in cash at a post office).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

If sharing are you a tenant or a licensee? Ensure you know the difference and which you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Pay electronically if possible; easy to prove if you've missed a month or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

triangles wrote: »
    How do I pay the bills? I presume they will vary slightly each month so a direct debit of a specified amount each month would make no sense.

There are two approaches to regular payment:

Standing order is when you tell your bank "Please pay Joe Bloggs X amount on the nth day of every month"

Direct Debit is when you tell your bank "Joe Bloggs may ask for as much money as he wants from my bank account every month" (sometimes you can put extra rules in, eg up to E100 at a time).

Standing orders are good for paying rent, where it's a fixed amount. Direct debits are good for when the amount varies, because the company can tell the bank how much they want each time.

You need to be careful who you allow to do a direct-debit: it's usually ok for big companies like power and phone companies - but a bad idea for gyms and other more dodgy operators who might "accidentally" ask for the wrong amount just before disappearing

The other option is for you to receive a bill each month, and then pay it in each at An Post or Payzone, or by a bank transfer that you do manually. Most utility companies will not like this, eg ESB allow it, but ask for a E300 deposit up front if you want it. If you do choose to use this approach, always keep and carefully file the receipt you get from the bank/AP/PZ etc for the payment.

Cheques (note correct spelling :) are rapidly going the way of the dodo, because they're a pain: you have to write them, the LL has to take them to the bank. It's far quicker all around for you to just electronically do a transfer.

triangles wrote: »
    Also, upon moving out and looking for deposit back, will the amount I get back be based just on the condition of my bedroom? The bathroom and kitchen areas are shared with 3 other people.

Thanks.

Are all four people signing the lease? If so, you are all "jointly and severally" liable for the rent and for the condition of the whole house.

It's not so clear-cut if you sign individual leases. But even then, you will have at least some liability for the common areas.

Advertisement