Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transfer to new course after YR1

Options
  • 04-11-2015 9:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm currently studying Law in DCU but after visits to the Four Courts, I think it may not be for me. I'm thinking about transferring to something in the medical field or business related courses in UCD, Trinity. I got 435 in the LC so obviously I cannot apply with respect to points. I think I read somewhere that you can transfer to any course once you have completed YR1 in a Higher Education Institute but you have to pay the Government's share of the fees. Has anyone done this? And can I really transfer to any course I want? Seems to good to be true.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Elemonator wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'm currently studying Law in DCU but after visits to the Four Courts, I think it may not be for me. I'm thinking about transferring to something in the medical field or business related courses in UCD, Trinity. I got 435 in the LC so obviously I cannot apply with respect to points. I think I read somewhere that you can transfer to any course once you have completed YR1 in a Higher Education Institute but you have to pay the Government's share of the fees. Has anyone done this? And can I really transfer to any course I want? Seems to good to be true.

It's utter nonsense for multiple reasons.

Firstly medicine is a restricted course - you cannot transfer into medicine.
    Secondly to transfer into any course you must meet the original entry requirements (ie. CAO points, languages, etc)
    Thirdly - to transfer into the second year of a course after completing year 1, there has to be substantial overlap in the material taught for the college to allow transfer to happen.
    You also need to pass all of your exams.

If you want to do medicine you have the following options:

Drop out, repeat your leaving cert and do the HPAT and get a place through the CAO.
    Complete your current course and get your degree - do the GAMSAT and apply for graduate entry medicine.

You may have a much better chance of transferring into business related courses.

Advertisement