Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Printing a file using CutePDF

Options
  • 04-11-2015 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭

I have found a book in pdf on Google. The book has some 300 pages but I only need 40 of them so I re-printed it as a new pdf file using only the pages I need, from 245 to 280.
    I used CutePDF to do that.
    The resulting file is much larger than the original full book, the original being 6.5 MB, the new one being 8.4 MB.
    Any suggestion on how I can reduce the file size? I don't think that zipping the file would help, the problem is that the new file should be about one seventh of the complete file.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

It depends what is on each page. An Aer Lingus boarding pass is 65K. I have a 32 page technical brochure which is 7MB. 6.5 MB for 300 pages seems small.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭aoh

Try PDFsam instead - it's free. I've used it a few times and it's simple. Don't remember file sizes but it might be worth a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

FSL wrote: »
    It depends what is on each page. An Aer Lingus boarding pass is 65K. I have a 32 page technical brochure which is 7MB. 6.5 MB for 300 pages seems small.

Alright, the content of the pages makes the difference, but why is it that a full document of 300 pages is 6.5 MB and about 40 pages extracted from them is 8.4 MB when processed by CutePDF?
    The pages are text, but it's a scanned book from the Google archives.
    aoh wrote: »
    Try PDFsam instead - it's free. I've used it a few times and it's simple. Don't remember file sizes but it might be worth a go.

Thanks, I will try it and let you know in about two hours :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Alright, the content of the pages makes the difference, but why is it that a full document of 300 pages is 6.5 MB and about 40 pages extracted from them is 8.4 MB when processed by CutePDF?
    The pages are text, but it's a scanned book from the Google archives.

Thanks, I will try it and let you know in about two hours :)

It's something to do with the original processing of the scans. For example if I create a 10 page PDF in with Adobe using 300dpi TIFFs as the source, the resultant file is significantly smaller than if I used smaller filesize Jpegs as the source files. Don't ask me to explain how (if might be that compression of lossy formats is not as efficient as lossless?)

aoh wrote: »

OK, I downloaded and installed it, it also required a Java installation, it took about 20 minutes in all.
    I haven't found it very intuitive, it doesn't have an "open" item in the menu, it has an "add" button, but it was way too slow to open the full file and after about 5 minutes I closed it...

• Advertisement

It happens the same thing with Adobe Acrobat, same pages, same final size.
    There's no escape from this... that's bad... :(

Advertisement