Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

should I have reported the safety of a derelict building?

Options
  • 05-11-2015 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭

the other day I noticed a very run down badly neglected building at the back of the Quayside Centre in Sligo - I have often driven past it and thought that it looked old and neglected and had grass growing out of the gutters and windows well on Monday I got a lift into sligo and got out at the back of the quayside centre car park and walked past the building. looking at it close up on foot I could not believe how unsafe the building looked. The chimney stack was/is leaning, the motor is missing and grass is growing out of it and looks like at any moment possibly a gust of high wind is going to bring it crashing down on someone walking past or a car driving past as well as other loose bricks and mortar on the property.

I couldnt get this off my mind/concious clear that this could cause an accident or fatality to someone and very soon unless something urgent was/is done to either make the building/structure safe or even bulldoze it altogether so I reported it to Sligo County council saying that I feel it posed a danger to the general public.

That evening I put it up on facebook local group with my concerns about it being unsafe and to tell people to look out for it and dont walk anywhere near it because it looks like the whole place will fall down any minute or at least the chimney stack looked like it was going to topple at any minute.

I cannot believe then the amount of barrage I got of abuse that there was actually a tennant who actually lives in the house! (I didnt know that, I cant believe anyone could / would be allowed to live in such a dangerous property these days) and apparantly 2 people complained to the admin and the admin of the facebook page removed my post! - all this for me trying to be helpful to help save someone life or save them from being badly injured from falling rubble or loose mortar from the walls. There is a pedestrian pavement underneath and the road and anyone could walk past not noticing the extent to the decay of the building and could be knocked out by falling bricks where the mortar in between the bricks has worn away. It might even kill someone. I am a person with a concious and if I read somewhere soon that someone was injured or killed by this property and I would have seen what I saw and turned a blind eye I wouldnt have been able to live with that.

Was I right to report it to the council for it being unsafe?

IMG_20151104_233331.jpg

house_sligo.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Absolutely, 100%!. Well done for doing so. It's a potential death trap waiting to happen.

You did the right thing regardless of the consequences.

Edit. The chimney design makes it look worse as it narrows. But it its warped and cracked, so it and the whole building should be safety checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

That's an absolute disgrace OP, a genuine danger to the public.
    Those people that abused you on Facebook are the same people that would have a field day if an incident occurred. Attention seekers who would just follow the most popular opinion so they feel accepted and part of a group.
    Your well within your rights to report it to the authorities and I would have done the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Yes that chimney had certainly failed and is one severe weather event away from partial collapse. There are also clearly bits of the structure of the house falling away.
    I certainly wouldn't park beside that building.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭whatswhat

I am speechless that someone lives there??? How???

You did right to raise the issue, I for one will not be parking there and I have in the past. So Thank You!

• Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

that chimney is a disaster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

could you imagine if you wanted to get planning permission these days to build a structure that close to the road these days in that dangerous conditions - it would never be allowed in a million years! - so why this has been allowed to be in this state for so long (and it must have been) yet not condemned or made safe or cordoned off is beyond me

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

You were definitely right to report this, it looks like it's gonna collapse any minute!

well sligo county council has forwarded the matter to the roads department for their attention - but to be sure/safe i would advise people to steer clear of the building dont even walk near it or park there just in case! :eek:

jaysis the chimney looks way worse in that pic

Very Blustery today with the remnants of hurricane Abigail - and didn't hear of chimney falling down today. Maybe its more stable than it looks ...

• Advertisement

i get nervous just looking at it

i'll report it as well tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Sliros

You were right to report but maybe not have posted on FB or if you were posting maybe not being so detailed about who possibly lives there or not.

hmmmm, I dont really know. One half of me is saying I should have just reported it but then the unsuspecting people would still carry on park there and walk past it , then the other half of me is saying well at least I highlighted the public to the danger of this property and so at least if some bricks or mortar fell on someone then at least I feel like I have done as much as I can to warn people - I do have a conciouse - its like if I saw a live wire sticking out of a socket in a cafe or supermarket I would warn the public too (most probably by fb and twitter) as well as the owners. Just unfortunate, would never have thought that it was still occupied - what must the person living inside think about if it falls in on them one day!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Agreed. Information about the car of the person living there should not have been shared. It might be used to determine when the property is occupied.

Also had a look today and I think the issue with chimney was fixed a while ago. The bottom left looks like it has been rebuilt.

If i saw a live wire in a shop. I would wait at the wire. Ask someone passing to get the manager and relay my comcerns.

Facebook and tweeting would be of no assistance as it might encourage someone to seek out the wire and hurt themselves.

Having worked previously with the ESB it would amaze you the number of people who approach fallen cables to see if they are alive.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

That Chimney, when it comes down, it won't injury someone, it will kill them. The area in front of the house will have to be corr-ended off. It won't be a case of patching it up, but knocking it and rebuilding it.

I appreciate that you are making people aware of potential risks but you also highlighted that that person may potentially be living there alone. Also there are two houses there.

that chimney was either built on a monday morning or a friday evening

cowboys ted

Sliros wrote: »
    I appreciate that you are making people aware of potential risks but you also highlighted that that person may potentially be living there alone. Also there are two houses there.

I dont know myself whether there is a person living alone or otherwise - I know it sounds cold but I am very concerned about general public walking by and/or parking their car near that unsafe building. And of course I feel for the tenant(s) safety if indeed someone does live inside it. - god forbid a fire broke out in that building, I bet the firemen wouldnt be able to go in it due to unsafe structure and health and safety... but someone says its occupied!! - the mind boggles!

I am only saying that discussions on public boards like this could potentially jeprodise the safety of a person living there if they are and I'm not talking from a fire perspective. If they are living there I don't think we should be the ones the prejudge as life is not always straight forward. I appreciate you also want people to be safe but you have reported it to the council so have done something constructive.

on the other hand i dont want any harm to come to the tenant who lives there (if there really is a person living in it) I'd be happy to hear they would be moved out and into somewhere safer but would be sad if it caused them distress through having to move out, say if the council decided to demolish it, or make them move out whilst work was being carried out to make it safe, especially if they are old and lived in it all/most of their life. - Its a tough conundrum!

However - if the said occupier has been onto the council or authorities to make the house safe for years or to move them out of there ... and they get their wish I will be very happy at that outcome.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I am only saying that discussions on public boards like this could potentially jeprodise the safety of a person living there if they are and I'm not talking from a fire perspective.

How would it jeopardize the safety of a potential resident. if not from a "fire perspective".
    If they are living there I don't think we should be the ones the prejudge as life is not always straight forward. I appreciate you also want people to be safe but you have reported it to the council so have done something constructive.

I don't think this thread was created to determine if the house was occupied or not. If it is occupied, yes, more can be done to ensure the privacy of the tenants.

As you can see from the photo, as everyone else can, the chimney is perched at an angle and looks to be in a state of disrepair. The North West in particular will be subject to considerable winds over the coming weeks, which will make it considerably more dangerous to the occupiers of the residence or others in the area. We're not talking about a bump on the head and a migraine, we're talking about something that could potentially cause death or considerable disability.

I do agree that the privacy of any resident who may occupy the residence should be protected, that also goes for their safety and the safety of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

I think what they are trying to say is that by bringing up that someone lives there on a public forum, could potentially mean that some unsavory characters might take it upon themselves to go to the house when the car isn't there.. sees it as an easy target etc

Thanks Sammy. I was just thinking the photo depicting the chimney only should be on display and nothing else just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Well this has blown up all out of proportion

Well this has blown up all out of proportion

Any more high winds like of late and the chimney will be blown out off the roof!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Any more high winds like of late and the chimney will be blown out off the roof!

And if that does happen, then there'll not be too many people worrying about mentioning who may or may not be living in the house and what car they may or may not drive just in case someone of a nefarious persuasion may or may not be reading it.

And if that does happen, then there'll not be too many people worrying about mentioning who may or may not be living in the house and what car they may or may not drive just in case someone of a nefarious persuasion may or may not be reading it.

yep - well done that puts it into perspective :) - never mind about a dangerous building that can collapse at any moment on unsuspecting member of the public or the owner (if its occupied) or parked cars - lets worry about other details that might never ever happen!

Advertisement