Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DELL T5610 failure after BIOS upgrade

Options
  • 05-11-2015 12:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭

Hello,

My sweet T5610 has decided to go dead.
    2 x Xeon CPUs and 32 Gb of RAM...lost.

I've upgraded the drivers and lastly, I did a BIOS upgrade with the file from DELL web site. PC restarted, completed the 3 stages of the upgrade but...at the restart I get lights 3 and 4 ,pc restarting itself 3-4 times than a continuous series of beeps.
    Checked DELL manual, indicating faulty RAM ! Which and how, kind of strange as I did a software upgrade not hardware.

I've reset BIOS / CMOS, swapped RAM, disconnected all the cards, power on /off... now I'm losing patience...

More insult...called DELL tech support and given the tag, been told that they cannot find it in the system. Checked again myself online, and same, cannot be found. "Bought" PC second hand, from a third party, no warranty given / as it is.

Anyone in similar position please share the experience please.
    Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19647980 - Seen that? NB: Also mentions a tag issue

Without a bios flashback option you may have to buy a new mobo aftermarket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

ED E wrote: »
    http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19647980 - Seen that? NB: Also mentions a tag issue

Without a bios flashback option you may have to buy a new mobo aftermarket.

Thanks,no joy !
    I've done those steps and same lights,beeps.

Crazy thinking that Dell can supply public BIOS file updates that can render a top spec workstation to no use !!

Going to call them as I cant open any sort of E_communication due to no tag been accepted...

Hmmmm....called DELL and they couldn't find the tag or serial number.
    Also, their tech support is closed now.

Wondering if is there any legal basis to sue them and ask for compensation or free support if found that their BIOS installed fried my Workstation !??

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭kodistar

Hi there,

Either your ram is fried r ypu have faulty psu,try another psu and different ram might be that without all other info i cant help you out more hope i helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

rolion wrote: »
    Hmmmm....called DELL and they couldn't find the tag or serial number.
    Also, their tech support is closed now.

Wondering if is there any legal basis to sue them and ask for compensation or free support if found that their BIOS installed fried my Workstation !??

LOL good luck with that. BIOS updates are always a risk, and the utilities warn you. Before or by downloading you agreed to the dell disclaimer, they're totally covered.

It happens, c'est la vie.

• Advertisement

kodistar wrote: »
    Hi there,

Either your ram is fried r ypu have faulty psu,try another psu and different ram might be that without all other info i cant help you out more hope i helped.

Thanks.
    I don't think is the RAM or PSU as I did a software BIOS upgrade !
    I've swapped RAM in % out, CPU 1 / CPU 2,with no RAM inserted mobo detects and display the appropriate error LED1.
    I would not afford to buy a PSU, i will rather move away from DELL completely...

ED E wrote: »
    LOL good luck with that. BIOS updates are always a risk, and the utilities warn you. Before or by downloading you agreed to the dell disclaimer, they're totally covered.

It happens, c'est la vie.

Thanks.
    I know, but as I got the workstation second hand, along with other PCs ,I need to check with DELL, based on the express tag, if the warranty still applies.
    I have registered on DELL community and there are other users with similar issues...don't think is a user fault when supplier "supplies" bad/corrupted files. When I presses run, it did a check of the system and prompt me to press OK, started firmware upgrade with no warnings that are any incompatibility present with current system.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭kodistar

Hi there,

The reason i said psu cause sometime if there is a fault in psu it keeps giving you loop and 4 beeps,it will still start but will go in loop stay on for bout 5 seconds and then rest and continue to do that.

If you have run all tests,like ram run memtest,hardrive run crystal disk see what they say otherwise just give in buy new one.sorry best i can do with info provided.

SO...thanks to DELL now I have a single CPU workstation !

Problem half fixed...How ?
    I've entered in per "panic mode" ...unplugged all parts, stripped down to bare bone. When I have left only CPU1 installed, the PC started working. Inserted back CPU2,no joy... Swapped CPU2 with CPU1 just in case, both CPUs are ok.
    Tried reverting the BIOS to all previous versions, with same result: the workstation will not recognise, boot, work with the CPU2 installed.

Then, i remembered that when I flashed A10,there was an additional step (third) during the flash...some Intel Management Upgrade fware. It looks like that part compromised my system board to don't work fine with CPU1 and CPU2 along each other. So, it may have been that my mobo got an older hardware and/or somehow. Not working with Intel's Management Engines !??

Dunno...what I'm for sure, every time I'm passing the Cherrywood round about, I will beep the horn and two fingers up on my left hand for CPU1 and another two fingers up for CPU2. And, the PC for sale on adverts...

kodistar wrote: »
    Hi there,

The reason i said psu cause sometime if there is a fault in psu it keeps giving you loop and 4 beeps,it will still start but will go in loop stay on for bout 5 seconds and then rest and continue to do that.

If you have run all tests,like ram run memtest,hardrive run crystal disk see what they say otherwise just give in buy new one.sorry best i can do with info provided.

Don't worry, been there myself, trying all the logical and illogical variable... Thanks

Advertisement