Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LPT letter in my name only!

Options
  • 05-11-2015 1:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

Received notification of LPT payment today for a house we bought this year. Mortgage is in my name and my wife's name but the letter is only addressed to me. Is this normal? How can I get her name added to the bill?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Received notification of LPT payment today for a house we bought this year. Mortgage is in my name and my wife's name but the letter is only addressed to me. Is this normal? How can I get her name added to the bill?

We are the same mortgage in joint names but it's my wife's name on the LPT bill I've never given it a second thought. I say give them the call to have it changed.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I think it's fairly normal. My hubby and I have had our apartment together since 2006, and the LPT bill is just in my name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

I think they just put one name on as it linked to PPS no

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Are you jointly assessed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 miss luce

We just bought a house too, and lpt came in post the other day addressed to just me. Found it strange as my husband is the sole earner in our house, so it must just be a random thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, I'd say they probably pick one person to send it to rather than cause confusion by sending out two letters. The letter came to me, but my wife's online Revenue profile does show her as owner of the property (as does mine).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Thanks for the replies folks. Why would they have to send two letters? Could they not just address the letter to both people? Is it because it's a 'private' tax letter?

Just seems so damn stupid when both of us are on the mortgage and it doesn't seem to be related to the person who was assessed or the sole earner in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Is it because it's a 'private' tax letter?
    I think this is basically it. The tax affairs of spouses are for all intents and purposes private and individual. Even if you elect for joint assessment, the liability is split based on who owes what.

When my wife first started working self-employed, her returns were small enough that our joint assessment would yield a tax refund. But it would be a refund to me, paid to me.
    If she tried to ring up to find out where it was, she was told that it was a private matter between me and Revenue, even though the refund was triggered by her tax return.

All very complicated altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Same with mine - mrs name is on it but funny thing is it seems to go to her family home (previous address)

Can anyone explain this, I assume as the house was previously rented it might have something to do with it

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

Same with mine - mrs name is on it but funny thing is it seems to go to her family home (previous address)

Can anyone explain this, I assume as the house was previously rented it might have something to do with it

Lots of people assume that changing their address with their employer is enough for revenue to know when in actual fact you are required to notify revenue yourself.

Your wife hasn't informed revenue of her address change so they'll continue to correspond with her there, regardless of where LPT liability might lie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Jen44

Just wondering why does it bother you? Why would you want it addressed to you both? Im not being smart just wondering

Advertisement