Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lathering problem

• 05-11-2015 11:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭

I bought a Semogue 2020 Badger Brush a good while ago. I used Arko soap and could get a nice lather up. I bought a Omega 6735 last week and i am stuggling to get a lather up. It just seems thin and ghostlike.

How should I change my lathering technique given the change in brush?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Could be one or many factors -

* The new brush may be holding more water than the old brush
    * The new brush may have a different packing of hair density
    * The new brush could be a lot softer

You may need to experiment with the new brush. Best thing would be to start with a very dry brush and keep adding water/soap as needed until you hit that sweet spot.

Do you face lather or bowl lather?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Could be one or many factors -

* The new brush may be holding more water than the old brush
    * The new brush may have a different packing of hair density
    * The new brush could be a lot softer

You may need to experiment with the new brush. Best thing would be to start with a very dry brush and keep adding water/soap as needed until you hit that sweet spot.

Do you face lather or bowl lather?

It does hold more water. It is different density. It is softer.

I face lather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Practice. You can always lather in your palm if you really want to. Get in 5 or so sessions and you'll have it sussed.

A softer brush may be picking up less soap. And if it's holding more water as well no wonder your lather is rather ghostlike. You can use a small pool of very hot water on top of the soap for a minute, pour it off, and then swirl to ensure good soap loading.

It's just a balancing act at the end of the day. When I was new I squeezed almost all water out of my brush. Face lather and distribute the soap. Then dip the brush tips lightly and face lather again; repeat until it builds up like you want. Eventually with practice you'll figure out the right ratio and can start nearer the soap:water ration you need with the given equipment so the whole process will speed up significantly.

Advertisement