Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car hire in Vegas

Options
  • 05-11-2015 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭

Have to organise car hire for someone going to Vegas in a couple of weeks. Any ideas of the best sites to book?
    • Picking up & dropping off at the airport.
    • 10 Day hire.
    Any discount coupons?
    Better to book ahead or arrive & get?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

OU812 wrote: »
    Have to organise car hire for someone going to Vegas in a couple of weeks. Any ideas of the best sites to book?
    • Picking up & dropping off at the airport.
    • 10 Day hire.
    Any discount coupons?
    Better to book ahead or arrive & get?

Do they need a car for the entire trip? If it's only for say five days they might be better renting at whatever resort they are staying at. Most hotels have a hire company desk.

There is no picking up and dropping off at the airport, there's a massive rental area about four miles south that you need a shuttle to get to and from. All the big players are there, and it's really just a matter of doing your homework for the best deal.

https://www.mccarran.com/Go/RentalCars.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭OU812

Thanks backwards man. Didn't know they couldn't pick up there.

They pretty much do need it for the trip, it's all business

• Registered Users Posts: 10,164 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

If its company related, make sure that you take all of the available insurance so that if something happens you just walk away.

I remember one business trip, 3 of us in Arizona, one stated that his credit card covered the insurance, so we could save money and not take all of the insurance offered by the agency, he then complained about every stone chip for 2 weeks, bloody annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

The rental area at the airport is a 5 minute shuttle bus away from the terminals.
    If they're not going there during a busy time I'd wait and book at the counter. You can walk around and get prices from everyone while playing them off each other. Plus you'll know all the final charges there and then and won't have surprises.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

What backwards said. A lot of folks go to Vegas, rent a car to drive the two miles to the strip, park the car for a week, and drive back. Rental companies love Vegas, they get lots of money for very little mileage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭OU812

He's got some considerable mileage to do while there. Several meetings in Vegas as well as driving out of state for a number of days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

I always use rentalcars.com in the states. The price you pay includes everything you need so no nasty shocks when you pick up your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Vegas nearly always has over capacity in the rental market. Shop around in advance and you'll nearly always pick up good deals, especially on non-luxury models.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

The extras can be frightening. Recently my parents went to Florida, booked and payed for a small SUV online at a good price for two weeks but at the rental desk they were talked into taking the maximum insurance, plus ten dollars a day for a booster seat , GPS and airport charge (11%). Add tax on top of all that and it more than doubled the outlay. Rentalcars.com is good, also take a look at turo.com (I think I have a discount coupon for th if you're interested).

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Lima Golf

Another vote for rentalcars.com I used them on the last trip for an SUV and was straight forward. I paid an extra €50 for a package for the week which included a full tank of fuel and 3 additional drivers (there were 5 of us so was nice to share the driving) they did try to up sell at the desk telling us we wouldn't all fit in the jeep with luggage and to hire a bigger one, take out extra insurance etc but I declined and we fit comfortably into the jeep with our luggage. Also there's a huge Walmart about a 3 minute drive away which I bought a garmin sat nav in for $80. It was cheaper than renting one and I have it for future trips.

• Advertisement
Advertisement