Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pointless buying the xbox 360 ?

Options
  • 05-11-2015 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

My son age 7 is looking for an xbox and is interested in Lego Dimensions. So I see that this game is made for the 360 and the xbox 1. If he were to get the 360, has he many choices with games? Will games cease to be made for the 360?

I'd really prefer NOT to get him a console at all, but his heart is set on one :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,335 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Support for the 360 is drying up but for a 7-year-old, I still think it'd be your best bet. There are hundreds of games that would be perfect for him and at this stage nearly all them would be available for a fraction of the Xbox One cost. The big games that a kid of that age would be keen on - Lego, Minecraft, Skylanders, Disney Infinity etc are all on the 360 and are all likely to continue to be supported/released on that console for the next while.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭GBX

As above, my nephew (6) gets great mileage playing the Lego/Disney demo's. Serious amount of games out there for kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭richardw001

Couple of things to bear in mind - my nephews got 360 back in the day when it was more expensive - and continue to get great value from it even though they are in their teens. Its definitely not end of life yet.

However just bear in mind

Based on yours sons age - you have to ask yourself is he still going to want to play with it with friends in 3 years time. Or are you going to end up with a 360 and a next gen console like the Xbox one anyway (which isn't a bad thing for most people in this subforum - however I get the impression you dont want a console at all :-) )

The xbox one is actually very good value for the hardware you are getting - If it pans out the same way as the 360.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Hello123

Thanks!

Could someone explain the memory requirements? Are there big limitations to getting a console with just 500MB?

if possible get the later model slim one - it has wifi built in and is much more power efficient than the early models and takes up less space. it's more reliable also (some early models were prone to dying - the red ring of death - although if an old one is still working at this stage it's probably ok).
    having a hard drive is better for installing games so that they load better.

here's a slim model one with 250gb hard-drive for €75. (no games with it)
    http://www.adverts.ie/xbox/xbox-360-slim-250gb/9213968

you can buy games for cheap on adverts, in CEX shops, on ebay etc.
    you can get a lot of decent games for a a few euro these days. up to €15 / €20 for the last big releases but that price will drop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Hello123 wrote: »
    Thanks!

Could someone explain the memory requirements? Are there big limitations to getting a console with just 500MB?

If you're not in a major rush, wait until november 12th and see what the backwards compatibility list looks like. if its pretty good, you could futureproof by getting the newer console but give yourself access to plenty games that can be picked up on the cheap now.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

In Fairness, there are some amazing deals going for xbox one. I am not sure if financially it makes sense buying 360 anymore. 360 games will work on xbox one in November too.
    I would just bite the bullet, get xbox one and be sorted for future.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

If there's people around Cork that want to get an Xbox 360 for their kids for Christmas, or whatever, I still have my old one. Gave away a wired controller to somebody on here a few months back, but think I still have two wireless controllers for it.

Not sure if I traded in the games or not, but the console I still have anyway.

So yeah, instead of going out and spending 70 or 80 quid on a 360 console for your kid, send me a PM and I can give you mine. Put the money towards the Lego games, or whatever else.

Console was in perfect condition when I last played it, 8 months or so ago, before I got the Xbox 1.

Not looking for anything for it, so even if you know of a friend who it might be suitable for, let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

Knex. wrote: »
    If there's people around Cork that want to get an Xbox 360 for their kids for Christmas, or whatever, I still have my old one. Gave away a wired controller to somebody on here a few months back, but think I still have two wireless controllers for it.

Not sure if I traded in the games or not, but the console I still have anyway.

So yeah, instead of going out and spending 70 or 80 quid on a 360 console for your kid, send me a PM and I can give you mine. Put the money towards the Lego games, or whatever else.

Console was in perfect condition when I last played it, 8 months or so ago, before I got the Xbox 1.

Not looking for anything for it, so even if you know of a friend who it might be suitable for, let me know.

This guy....We need more people like this guy! <3

• Registered Users Posts: 11,422 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

This guy....We need more people like this guy! <3

It's probably haunted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭creedp

If you're not in a major rush, wait until november 12th and see what the backwards compatibility list looks like. if its pretty good, you could futureproof by getting the newer console but give yourself access to plenty games that can be picked up on the cheap now.

Interested in these views. My kids (9 & 7) have a 360 since last year and are mostly happy with it. To be honest they don't play online and mostly play FIFA at present. I was wondering if there is any benefit to upgrading to an xbox 1 or PS4 in this context? If I did could I use the 360 for anything other than gaming, eg using the 500g hardrive for storing TV or running Netflix?? I'm sorry if this is complete tosh as you must excuse my extreme ignorance around these issues so all comments bo matter how basic are welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

creedp wrote: »
    Interested in these views. My kids (9 & 7) have a 360 since last year and are mostly happy with it. To be honest they don't play online and mostly play FIFA at present. I was wondering if there is any benefit to upgrading to an xbox 1 or PS4 in this context? If I did could I use the 360 for anything other than gaming, eg using the 500g hardrive for storing TV or running Netflix?? I'm sorry if this is complete tosh as you must excuse my extreme ignorance around these issues so all comments bo matter how basic are welcome.

You can use the 360 as a Netflix player, rte player, DVD player and a sky go box if you pay the extra fee to sky.
    You can't save tv programs to it though.

You can use the 360 as a Netflix player, rte player, DVD player and a sky go box if you pay the extra fee to sky.

You can add All 4 to that list, works well on 360. Think they have Three player too, I know it's on the One.

The Plex app went free on the 360 a little while ago so might be a good alternative to storing stuff on an external drive etc, it's easy as pie to set up a server on a laptop/desktop and the interface is nice enough. The only thing that can be a bit of work is making sure the files themselves are named correctly on the server.

Thanks. I went into xbox life for the 2nd time in a year and after I sat through the inevitable updates. I found the Netflix app and downloaded it. However when I tried to access I was told it was subject to family control and asked for password which I didn't know as I never set one up. I was the given the option to change it by answering the Q what my favourite food which I don't know as I didn't set that up either. Is this a default setting or will I have to contact Windows support to sort it? Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

I was the given the option to change it by answering the Q what my favourite food which I don't know as I didn't set that up either. Is this a default setting

They don't really publicize it but the default answer is 'Burgers' Capital 'B' whichis important to keep out the hackers. Capital letters catch them every time :)

Only messing.

You should be able to reset the security if you log in on your PC and follow the steps. I had a similar problem with security at one point and it was a bit of a pain to sort if I can remember correctly. Worth checking if anyone else has changed the settings on the Xbox too.

amadablam wrote: »
    They don't really publicize it but the default answer is 'Burgers' Capital 'B' whichis important to keep out the hackers. Capital letters catch them every time :)

Only messing.

You should be able to reset the security if you log in on your PC and:) follow the steps. I had a similar problem with security at one point and it was a bit of a pain to sort if I can remember correctly. Worth checking if anyone else has changed the settings on the Xbox too.

Good job I didn't rush off to try Burger before I read to the end if your post!

Will try the PC route. I'm just not clear how the password/question was set in the first place as its only me or my wife could have done it and certainly either of us didn't even know of its existence until today. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,425 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Good job I didn't rush off to try Burger before I read to the end if your post!

Will try the PC route. I'm just not clear how the password/question was set in the first place as its only me or my wife could have done it and certainly either of us didn't even know of its existence until today. Thanks again.

Off topic, but one of my biggest bugbears is security questions that have vague and variable answers

"What is your favourite food' What kind of muppet thought that was a good question. If you ask me that 5 days in a row, you might get 5 different answers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

I think its a solid invesment, especially for a kid so young he might not know the difference. If you get him a xbone you will have the 300~ euro outlay plus pay 40-70 euro per game. Get a 360 and you could get the console pre owned for 100 quid, possibly with games on adverts, and pay 5 to 30 quid per game.

Once he is older he the PS4 could be flavour of the month anyway and either console will be a hundred quid cheaper.

Akrasia wrote: »
    Off topic, but one of my biggest bugbears is security questions that have vague and variable answers

"What is your favourite food' What kind of muppet thought that was a good question. If you ask me that 5 days in a row, you might get 5 different answers

Agree very vague Q and unless I taped the answer to the front of the console I would have difficulty answering the Q each time. I know off topic but any view on whether there is some default password installed by MS for this control as I don't know how else it could have been installed?

Looking at posts I agree that for young kids the 360 is good value and will probably hold off going for the xbox1 for another year or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,425 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Agree very vague Q and unless I taped the answer to the front of the console I would have difficulty answering the Q each time. I know off topic but any view on whether there is some default password installed by MS for this control as I don't know how else it could have been installed?

Looking at posts I agree that for young kids the 360 is good value and will probably hold off going for the xbox1 for another year or so.

I'm sorry mate. I know that MS are a bit awkward with these things. Once my xbox live gold expired, but they left my account run on a few days extra past the expiry date for some reason, and then when I got around to renewing it, my account was locked and it took ages to get it back.

You're probably better off giving their support team a call and they'll probably unlock your account over the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Xbox 360, Lego and Minecraft. He won't care what console he's in as long as he's playing Minecraft . Fact.

Akrasia wrote: »
    I'm sorry mate. I know that MS are a bit awkward with these things. Once my xbox live gold expired, but they left my account run on a few days extra past the expiry date for some reason, and then when I got around to renewing it, my account was locked and it took ages to get it back.

You're probably better off giving their support team a call and they'll probably unlock your account over the phone.

Went onto xbox online support and once I supplied the console reference number I was taken through the process of resetting password via an online chatroom discussion. Good service especially at 2am!

Advertisement