Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Polish Horse Ribs

Options
  • 05-11-2015 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭

Just went for a sunny walk at lunch and re-discovered a Polish Supermarket that I had noticed before but never went into. Inside I found some smoked horse ribs. Anyone had these and know what to do with them? If so I might buy them. Seems to be two monster ribs in a pack. Being smoked means they could be eaten straight out of the pack? Or would I need to do more with them?

http://www.picpaste.com/L3M4xYNJ.jpg

Any advice other than "stop biting your nails" from the picture above? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Being Polish it is first time I see horse (??) ribs being offered. Also the company name GERMES is not the one I heard of earlier.

This, German site, says the ribs are hot-smoked which means you're OK to eat them straight off the packaging:
    https://www.fleisch-teigwaren.de/de/artikel/kazi-ca-600g-pferderippen-geraeuchert

Might taste better if you heat them up a bit in a microwave (bringing the 'hot' into hot-smoked).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Yea I was surprised by how little in the shop actually appeared to be Polish. And since a lot of the packaging had German, Polish and English on it in the shop.... I somewhat suspected it was mostly stock from some German company that package what they imagine Polish to be.... but market it to a wider audience. I was not convinced.

But the ribs intrigued me so just thought I would ask what people in here would do with them.

For this product to be directed at the Polish customers it should write: "żeberka końskie wędzone".

What would I do?
    Heat them up a bit. And get a pickled gherkin to go with.

Or boiled them in water to made a soup-base for Żurek.

I also do not know what THESE are but I am about to find out, and I rather suspect they will be worth every sent of the 79 cent they cost me :)

http://www.picpaste.com/rp42XB4a.jpg

Definitely not a Polish marking on them.

Little Russian I have allows me to suspect you've got yourself a pack of Gingerbreads (possibly of caramel taste).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yes, known as Pryaniki using the Latin alphabet.

Not bad a little like german lebkuchen a bit. Be nicer with ginger as well as the caramel.

Will try the ribs then and get back about it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I also do not know what THESE are but I am about to find out, and I rather suspect they will be worth every sent of the 79 cent they cost me :)

http://www.picpaste.com/rp42XB4a.jpg

Yep those biscuits are Ginger. You see them in most Polish shops having been imported from Russian speaking countries.

They are cheap and really tasty. They have a nice texture and go well with a cup of tea/coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

If ribs have been cooked (you'll know by looking at them and the texture), they've most likely been slow cooked and should be tender and juicy.

Re-heat in a warm (not too hot) oven and then pop under the grill for a couple of minutes to crisp up the skin on the top. Serve with a nice bbq sauce, or whatever takes your fancy.

Where is this shop by the way, I'm intrigued by it now !

F.

Yep those biscuits are Ginger

These ones are not, they are some caramel flavor variant. There was a Ginger option there too though you are correct. And a Vanilla option. And a few others but I did not look further. They are very much like German Lebkuchen. Carmel AND Ginger would be nice I think. Perhaps if I purchase one package of each and alternate.

I am actually travelling home to Dublin over the Xmas period should you want a pack :)
    twerg_85 wrote: »
    If ribs have been cooked (you'll know by looking at them and the texture), they've most likely been slow cooked and should be tender and juicy.

They appear to have been "hot smoked" whatever that means :) I guess it means smoked, but at a temperature that cooked them too.
    Serve with a nice bbq sauce, or whatever takes your fancy.

That is actually why I started the thread. I guess "ribs" most people make and then cover in sauce are Pork. And Horse is very different to Pork, so I was assuming the kind of BBQ sauce we most associate with Pork Ribs would not transfer so readily to Horse.

So I was wondering what the difference in sauce recommendations would be. I guess the sweeter more red sauce would be more the Pork, while that heavier dark brown BBQ sauce would be more for Horse?

There is a Dark HP BBQ sauce made with Whisky in it. I found myself suspecting that might be the way to go with this.
    Where is this shop by the way, I'm intrigued by it now !

Ah sorry, I said I found it during a lunch time walk without making it clear where I am. I live in Germany, in a city called Aschaffenburg, it is a super market local to me.

As I said above I am actually travelling home to Dublin over the Xmas period should you want a pack of ribs :) There is also Horse Sausage there. And a few things I could not identify which I might go back and photo and add to this thread for some of the more knowledgeable (that is to say ACTUAL polish) people.

I was only ever in one other Polish Supermarket before in my life and that was in Dublin, on the south side of the quays, walking towards Tara/pearse street DART station direction from Oconnell Bridge. But this was quite some years ago. NO idea if it is still there.

Certainly do not recall seeing these products there though. I always jump on trying new meats when I can, so I would have noticed. There is a GREAT festival here in Aschaffenburg once a year with food from all over the world. I fell upon a stall doing sausages and steaks from crocodile, kangaroo and a few other similarly weird animals.

• Advertisement

They appear to have been "hot smoked" whatever that means :) I guess it means smoked, but at a temperature that cooked them too.

That exactly. You smoke salmon with cold smoke, only to add that bit of smokiness but most meats are smoked using hot smoke (45 - 55 deg. C) and are then boiled to lock the moisture within the meat.

Advertisement