Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hands flaking and getting wrinkled quickly when washing

Options
  • 05-11-2015 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,744 ✭✭✭✭

My hands have recently started getting wrinkly after approx 30 seconds while having a shower. The sort of level of wrinkling you would imagine after submerging them in water for 5 minutes!

I was abroad last week and the water was very hard so it possibly triggered this as it was never this bad before.

After washing my hands normally the skin is getting pretty flaky.

What I'm doing now is regularly applying SOS hand concentrate moisturiser that you can get in Lidl (like Neutrogena). Is it worth getting a Hydrocortisone or possibly use Emulsifying Ointment instead of hand soap when washing hands?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭raemie10

mrcheez wrote: »
    My hands have recently started getting wrinkly after approx 30 seconds while having a shower. The sort of level of wrinkling you would imagine after submerging them in water for 5 minutes!

I was abroad last week and the water was very hard so it possibly triggered this as it was never this bad before.

After washing my hands normally the skin is getting pretty flaky.

What I'm doing now is regularly applying SOS hand concentrate moisturiser that you can get in Lidl (like Neutrogena). Is it worth getting a Hydrocortisone or possibly use Emulsifying Ointment instead of hand soap when washing hands?

There is no hand cream on the market that will work any better than normal oil..

Here's a super easy (and cheap) tip.

Warm some olive oil/coconut/avocado etc, add some (freshly grounded if possible) black pepper and massage into your hands. Pop on some pure cotton gloves/socks and go to bed.. do this as many nights as you need until your mitts are back to normal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,744 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I've read about the cotton gloves thing, what purpose do they exactly serve?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

When your skin is warm the oil can penetrate more, also, it's keeping the oil from being wiped off.

It seems to not be as bad today. I was at a water park all day about 6 days ago while abroad, and the water would have been highly chlorinated.

I'm wondering if it was an allergic reaction to the chlorine, although I've never had this problem before as I used to swim in pools all the time (albeit last time was about 3 years ago)

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭LinF

mrcheez wrote: »
    It seems to not be as bad today. I was at a water park all day about 6 days ago while abroad, and the water would have been highly chlorinated.

I'm wondering if it was an allergic reaction to the chlorine, although I've never had this problem before as I used to swim in pools all the time (albeit last time was about 3 years ago)

It could be. I have started using Vit E Oil (bought from Naissance/Amazon.co.uk) on my hands morning and night as a moisturiser. Very good results so far and very reasonably priced, a little goes a very long way.

• Advertisement

The Cien SOS Hand cream from Lidl and cotton gloves seems to have sorted it, but I definitely think it was a reaction to chlorine.

Advertisement