Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man dies from his parasitic worms' cancer

• 05-11-2015 2:58pm
    Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Saw this and thought it was incredibly interesting

HIV positive man doesn't follow his medication regimen as strictly as he should, allows his white blood cell (CD4) count to drop to dangerously low levels.

Is infected by the parasitic worm Hymenolepis nana, usually cleared by the immune system but his immunocompromised state they are able to flourish.

Here's where it gets interesting, the worms develop cancer, which appears to metastasise into the host. He dies riddled with cancerous growth originating from the worm

Link

Paper

First time anything like this has been observed apparently.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

It would seem that, although rare, this isn't quite the first time such tumours have been identified. It's certainly a very interesting case from a parasitology point of view as well as immunological.

http://www.nature.com/news/the-tapeworm-that-turned-into-a-tumour-1.18726
    Here's the summary I had read earlier.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Cheers for that, fascinating. A nightmare for doctors I would assume, how do you fight an unfamiliar cancer in an already fragile patient?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭josey_whale

I know this is somewhat off topic, but there seems to increasing interest in the role microbes and parasites play in cancer.

There is some evidence of bacteria preventing cancer (eg probiotic bacteria preventing colorectal cancer). Of course, viruses such as Human Papilloma Virus (HPV) and Epstein-Barr Virus are known to be involved in the development of cancer, but not a lot is known about what if any role bacteria or parasites might play in the development of cancer.

I came across a paper recently... Distinct microbiological signatures associated with triple negative breast cancer. [Nature.com]. They found specific bacterial and parasite genetic signatures in the tumors of patients with TNBC. They pose an interesting question .... Are they causative of cancer or does the tumour just provide a nice environment for these organisms to grow?

I suspect it's the tumour micro environment. However, like everything in biology, you can bet that it's highly com
    plex.

Advertisement