Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This forum seems to be loosing steam

Options
  • 05-11-2015 3:34pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41

Hi All,

Long time reader of this forum. Over the past few months in particular I have noticed that it really seems to be running out of steam.

Really knowledgeable posters like PeterDalkey and Hammertime are long gone, threads don't seem to get many responses any more and the stickied threads have very little volume.

Has anyone any ideas how to get it going again ?

Not within my scope but this place can be a great place to ask questions and I'd hate to see it get even less traffic.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

EIREX wrote: »
    Has anyone any ideas how to get it going again ?

Now that's not very entrepreneurial... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Its the run up to Christmas you would hope this place would be quiet right now. For us next two weeks is when the rush really kicks off normally see a 50% jump in volume so not as much time as normal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

PeterD still posts, but under a different name.

Opening posts and responses vary, sometimes there are posts that do not merit a response ("I've 30k - Dazzle me" :rolleyes: ) and at times there are those who profer "advice" without the faintest idea of the topic under discussion.

IMO any question that is valid deserves (and usually obtains) a response; stupid questions get ignored by the better posters, many of whom are lurking and will post when their expertise can help.

It also has become apparent that some posters do not like correct advice being given in a somewhat blunt manner and want everything to be politically correct and cuddily. Tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

There are several other forums around that are more welcoming IMO.

Blunt advise is necessary - particularly when someone is asking for all their problems to be solved for free by strangers on the internet, or when someone clearly needs a reality check and refuses to accept initial helpful advice.

However, internet forums are communities. And you'll notice that online communities only thrive when there's an atmosphere of cooperation and helpfulness as opposed to snarky put downs and territorial elders.

From an Irish stand-point, this place is good for asking questions about a TR1 form or how to import iPhone cases from China. That's about it I think. It's a shame because two years ago it was very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭fits

Fukuyama wrote: »
    However, internet forums are communities. And you'll notice that online communities only thrive when there's an atmosphere of cooperation and helpfulness as opposed to snarky put downs and territorial elders.

This. Dont come here often but find it unnecessarily narky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

There are several other forums around that are more welcoming IMO.

Can you share?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41 EIREX

Can you share?

Would also be keen to hear about other forums !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

....internet forums are communities. And you'll notice that online communities only thrive when there's an atmosphere of cooperation and helpfulness as opposed to snarky put downs and territorial elders.

From an Irish stand-point, this place is good for asking questions about a TR1 form or how to import iPhone cases from China. That's about it I think. It's a shame because two years ago it was very different.

Ignoring the fact that you are not in a strong position from which to argue (just three posts here in the last six months), I sort of agree.

As I'm a poster who has been accused of bluntness I’d point out that a brusque retort is not necessarily a “snarky put-down” if the OP has not even bothered to use the forum “Search” function and/or posts rubbish. There has been some very apt & valuable advice given on this forum by sector experts and that info. often benefits many others, which is why “regulars” post and others read – just look at the ‘View’ count.

Also, it should be remembered that the title of the forum is “Entrepreneurship and Business Management”. That IMO is what is missing from the forum, because yet another “me too” copycat coffee shop/ cupcake / webshop / app developer is not ‘Entrepreneurship’ and a query on how to get a grant/BTWEA is not ‘Management’! Sadly the forum of late (generally) tends to have a surfeit of lazy posters with no cop, no idea of the search function/Google, no notion of the difference between a sole trader and a company, no intention of even considering a SYOB course yet want quick-fix advice because they are intent on getting rich overnight from a part-time operation selling tat from China on eBay. (And they expect someone with experience to write a business plan for them, now, for FREE!)

Post blunt advice like “That idea is not a runner because you indicate you have no concept of what is involved” and one gets the mother hens (not necessarily female) cluckclucking and saying its “snarky”. Annoying when one has already refrained from writing “Look, that is a totally stupid idea which you would quickly realise if you had got off your ar$e and carried out some basic research (or even thought about it!).”

So, if you want to improve this forum, post something original yourself, start a debate, argue your corner. Raise the tone a bit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 311 ✭✭Silverbling

A group of small businesses are going to take on the giants, we are organising Green Thursday the day before Black Friday to promote our offers and discounts

I bought the domain and built a website hoping to promote my 2 businesses plus all of the other entrepreneurs that are trying to get their name out there.

If you see any posts will you share or retweet please, lets keep some money in Ireland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

Somebody posts a new thread about once a week asking about importing from China. If they bothered searching previous threads 99.99% of all questions were answered already.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Maybe because that's all everyone seems to do these days. Buy a load of sh1te from China then kick back, feet up on the table, telly on, beer in hand and watch the money roll in.

Then of course there are the startups who are perpetually launching non-functional iPhone apps to be integrated with hardware that hasn't been developed beyond a 3D model for the brochure and Joomla site that some unpaid intern whipped up in 5 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

Other than many rather pathetric/repetitive queries, the single biggest problem on here is the inexperienced/unqualified offering their opinions. Proper information, with advice from those who know and have proper experience is the currency of this forum. How it is delivered is irrelevant to a real entrepreneur. If the nail is not going in, hitting it harder/bigger hammer normally works. The Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Nails then scream blue murder. This needs to be knocked on the head!

Business is not about fair/nice/warm/fuzzy/a business for every one in audience, it is about smart and hard work. Which is why so few survive and propsper. Those put off by blunt reality have been done a huge favour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 388 ✭✭Atomico

First of all...not the grammar police but I do wince whenever I spot this thread and see 'loosing' instead of 'losing'. 'Loosing' is not an English word. 'Lose => losing'. There! That's better. Might save you using it in a business plan sometime :)

I remember years back this forum used to be a more interesting and friendlier place for sure. You would have threads on very interesting topics that ran for pages and pages, and newbies or people with less experience or expertise would generally not get jumped on for demonstrating same. Don't forget that sometimes you don't know what you don't know - aside from the odd chancer most people just pop on to ask a question, hope they'll get one or two replies, and go from there. If sarky replies have become the norm don't be surprised if the forum goes downhill - would be the same with any online community.

Plus it shouldn't be just about experienced people only answering questions - the forum should have more variety than that. There used to be more variety anyway - interesting topics rather than just 'how do I / what do I do' type posts where often-times the OP doesn't even bother their arse to go back and thank those who gave advice.

A lot of irony in the OP's post relating to Peterdalkey

The only sad thing about this forum is that so many people have gotten so soft recently and keep bringing up the same crap again and again. Entrepreneurs whining about getting blunt advice is ridiculous. Pull yourselves together people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

Perhaps there is a demand for a more " never mind the quality, feel the width" modus operandi to it. I, for one, am not game to play by that measure. For younger readers, see this : http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=never+mind+the+quality or Google the phrase

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

My take on blunt advice is that someone with knowledge and experience is giving you free advice in a straight and to-the-point style. The advice has value - some of it is pure gold dust - but if you want the comfy, purty report version with references and other helpful add-ons, feel free to PM for rates.

Another thing that gets my goat is some of us give out some great advice and pointers then find them simply ignored, thus inclining us more towards a why bother attitude. (more the website help stuff in my case)

And +1 for not searching, obviously. (Self help, help yourself)

Advertisement