Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pain in my H***

Options
  • 05-11-2015 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭

Long story so only read if you're bored or have a masochistic side to you.

Doing triathy back in my I felt my left knee get sore. toward the outside and top of the kneecap. happened about halfway through the 10k run.

Never had problems before.

Was out for few weeks after with illness so thought it'd be grand, one of those little aches that come and go.

Went for a run and after 5k felt a pulling sensation in my knee. Walked home. Did a few more races, only 2 oly and suffered the last 2k of the run on both.

While on holidays I felt that stretching the glute and IT band helped and I didn't really have any pain running or biking.

So, heres where trouble starts.

Went to physio. She said obvious ITB issue. do loads of squats/lunges etc. cleared me for running so long as didn't hurt.

5-6 weeks of constant S&C still felt exactly the same. no worse better.

Went to another physio. Highly recommended. He said dynamic rest loads of stretching..

Since then I feel more of an issue in my hip than my knee. Left glute is constantly sore now and just feels weak.

I haven't ran or cycled in a month and after around 1k in the pool my left hip starts to feel pain.

Has anyone dealt with this before? Depending on the day its pain between the hip and the outside of the knee.

I'm not looking for med advice just interested if anyone has shared similar pains/life stresses/drama.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Your description is really unusual. I would seek another opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭shansey

Don't think I've ever had a straight forward problem in my life!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

shansey wrote: »
    Long story so only read if you're bored or have a masochistic side to you.

Doing triathy back in my I felt my left knee get sore. toward the outside and top of the kneecap. happened about halfway through the 10k run.

Never had problems before.

Was out for few weeks after with illness so thought it'd be grand, one of those little aches that come and go.

Went for a run and after 5k felt a pulling sensation in my knee. Walked home. Did a few more races, only 2 oly and suffered the last 2k of the run on both.

While on holidays I felt that stretching the glute and IT band helped and I didn't really have any pain running or biking.

So, heres where trouble starts.

Went to physio. She said obvious ITB issue. do loads of squats/lunges etc. cleared me for running so long as didn't hurt.

5-6 weeks of constant S&C still felt exactly the same. no worse better.

Went to another physio. Highly recommended. He said dynamic rest loads of stretching..

Since then I feel more of an issue in my hip than my knee. Left glute is constantly sore now and just feels weak.

I haven't ran or cycled in a month and after around 1k in the pool my left hip starts to feel pain.

Has anyone dealt with this before? Depending on the day its pain between the hip and the outside of the knee.

I'm not looking for med advice just interested if anyone has shared similar pains/life stresses/drama.

To be honest thats why a physio is useless for ITBS. Going to get that no one laid a hand on you? No one looked at the state of your TFL and released the glutes and it?

S&C isn't going to fix ITBS, hands on massage is. (provided bursa not inflamed).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

So many ligaments, tendons and muscles all into connected some of these issues can take time to unravel bit like the Christmas lights, just when you think you have it there's another knot and then there's bulbs gone too.

Issue could start in the hip, manifest in the knee and only through release that it appears in the hip while all the time you were accomodating the original problem in your back (for example).

Another opinion would not hurt and you are not committed to x20 session or anything like that.

S&C, foam rolling etc will be of help freeing and maintaining looseness so a physio / sports therapist can uncover the root cause.

tunney wrote: »
    To be honest thats why a physio is useless for ITBS. Going to get that no one laid a hand on you? No one looked at the state of your TFL and released the glutes and it?

S&C isn't going to fix ITBS, hands on massage is. (provided bursa not inflamed).

The last guy was pretty hands on in fairness. The first physio didn't touch me.

In relation to the last guy, he came recommended on here and while I believe he is most likely good I felt everything was rushed and he was throwing me around without actually listening to what I was saying.

I took two weeks off all exercise and felt no improvement, he'd stretch me out and when I straighten the leg the knee cap would click. "ah don't worry about that"..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

I have something similar.... Tight ITB, weak glute and this materialised to an issue with my calf when running. It'd break your heart.

Recently I've noticed that concentrating on lifting my knee and rolling through my right foot resolved the calf issue and my ITB and hip is a lot looser. There's a thread on Boards with glute firing exercises that I would recommend, will search for it later and paste.

My other recommendation is find a good physical therapist. There's a fella in the Leisure centre in Rathmines that drove into my hip and it was very relieving. I don't find physios are that helpful. €50 for a list of stretches and a lecture where the therapist guys do the same and get stuck in.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

Have you had a scan on it?

Only reason i ask is that i had an issue with ITB few years back. Would flair up after a few km. Initially it may have been 7-8km before i felt anything but after a few weeks this came down to 2-3km. Had no issues at all when cycling.
    Spent a lot of time with a physio i trusted - he couldn't solve. Think he was more frustrated than me as he couldn't figure it out.

Send me for scan and turned out to be a slight tear of ITB. No way he was going to be able to tell that.

Few weeks rest and eased very slowly back into it solved problem.

Might be worth a try?

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

Seanie_H wrote: »
    ...... There's a fella in the Leisure centre in Rathmines that drove into my hip and it was very relieving. I don't find physios are that helpful. €50 for a list of stretches and a lecture where the therapist guys do the same and get stuck in.

Just reread that... In-your-endo!

Glute Board
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=93891939

• Registered Users Posts: 13 prince_buster

Do you get a burning sensation in the knee? It sounds a bit like what I have been dealing with. Only solution for me was dry needling in the QL, glute and hamstring area. It still flares up from time to time but at least it is manageable.

Do you get a burning sensation in the knee? It sounds a bit like what I have been dealing with. Only solution for me was dry needling in the QL, glute and hamstring area. It still flares up from time to time but at least it is manageable.

I get a tingling in the knee when I'm on the bike..

I'm starting to veer away from the ITB issues as I can pinpoint the injury to a very specific time and not a build up over months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 TriWazza

Absolutely terrible fear inducing advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

TriWazza wrote: »

Aye it is a bit general with a swipe at physios. I think the point is that hands on is the old school way to do it and generally gets the results.

All too often its scan this MRI that when a good releasing massage is all that is needed. Somethings are clearly flexibility issues and addressing that is far more effective than reaching for an ultra sound device or similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

Had the exact same problem for the best part of 9 months in 2013. Started at the outside of my knee and was incredibly painful for 3 months before moving up to my hip after that, running was much less painful when it was my hip hurting.

Went through some amount of work to get it sorted. I agree with tunney about stretching the tfl, the band itself cannot be stretched as it's connective tissue and has the tensile strength to hold a car in the air. The pull you feel at the knee at first is just where the pressure is loaded from tight muscles in the hip which is mainly the tfl which is pulling on it, that's your sore muscle now.

S&C is not useless though as a tight tfl is only is only an effect and not the cause. The reason for it being tight is because it's overworked and picking up the slack from a weak glute med which is not firing properly. In most cases, this leads to narrow gait(stepwidth) which loads on the on tfl as the knee doesn't track correctly.

Strengthening the glute med and stretching the tfl is the way to go. I'd also take a test to see if your psoas is tight as this can a big effect on posture and tracking as a hip flexor. Lie down on your back with your whole body flat on the floor, if there is an arch in your lower back and it's not touching the floor, your psoas is tight as well.

To release that, you need to get a tennis ball and place it about 2 inches to the side of your belly button and roll deep into into there and down into the inside of your hip. Since I done all of the above, I haven't had pain once in two years.

Had the exact same problem for the best part of 9 months in 2013. Started at the outside of my knee and was incredibly painful for 3 months before moving up to my hip after that, running was much less painful when it was my hip hurting.

Went through some amount of work to get it sorted. I agree with tunney about stretching the tfl, the band itself cannot be stretched as it's connective tissue and has the tensile strength to hold a car in the air. The pull you feel at the knee at first is just where the pressure is loaded from tight muscles in the hip which is mainly the tfl which is pulling on it, that's your sore muscle now.

S&C is not useless though as a tight tfl is only is only an effect and not the cause. The reason for it being tight is because it's overworked and picking up the slack from a weak glute med which is not firing properly. In most cases, this leads to narrow gait(stepwidth) which loads on the on tfl as the knee doesn't track correctly.

Strengthening the glute med and stretching the tfl is the way to go. I'd also take a test to see if your psoas is tight as this can a big effect on posture and tracking as a hip flexor. Lie down on your back with your whole body flat on the floor, if there is an arch in your lower back and it's not touching the floor, your psoas is tight as well.

To release that, you need to get a tennis ball and place it about 2 inches to the side of your belly button and roll deep into into there and down into the inside of your hip. Since I done all of the above, I haven't had pain once in two years.

Thanks for that, pretty informative.

I think its the way to go alright.

Ive started working on the glutes now. How did you stretch the tfl?

Did you run at all while you were working on these things?

Going to book myself in for a deep massage on the lower limbs.

not being able to run/bike is doing my head in. even if I could get out for a quick 5k once or twice a week would keep me sane.

shansey wrote: »
    Thanks for that, pretty informative.

I think its the way to go alright.

Ive started working on the glutes now. How did you stretch the tfl?

Did you run at all while you were working on these things?

Going to book myself in for a deep massage on the lower limbs.

not being able to run/bike is doing my head in. even if I could get out for a quick 5k once or twice a week would keep me sane.

Its more about releasing the TFl than stretching.

TriWazza wrote: »

Somehow missed this.

What physio practice are you affiliated with?

Advertisement