Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of buying a house in East Wall

Options
  • 05-11-2015 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

My other half has just got a really good job in Yahoo.
    We're looking at buying a house in East Wall, it's walking distance to his office.
    I'm 4 months pregnant and will be giving up work for five years (mutual decision).

I know it's not the most salubrious of Dublin areas.. but it's of good distance to city centre, the luas etc..

It's a good price for a family hone and the street doesn't seem 'rough'
    Wondering if anyone from East Wall or who has recently bought property there thinks of the area?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

iirc there is a large East Wall thread on Boards somewhere, I think it is in the Accomodation & Property section.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭subpar

Its an area on the up. East wall has mostly houses and a strong community ethic whereas the Docklands area is made up of apartments with less of a sense of community.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Muahahaha wrote: »
    iirc there is a large East Wall thread on Boards somewhere, I think it is in the Accomodation & Property section.

There's loads in this one too, take your pick: http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?subforums=1&forum=474&query=east+wall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

rustyzip wrote: »
    My other half has just got a really good job in Yahoo.
    We're looking at buying a house in East Wall, it's walking distance to his office.
    I'm 4 months pregnant and will be giving up work for five years (mutual decision).

I know it's not the most salubrious of Dublin areas.. but it's of good distance to city centre, the luas etc..

It's a good price for a family hone and the street doesn't seem 'rough'
    Wondering if anyone from East Wall or who has recently bought property there thinks of the area?!

I know the area well. It's heavily policed and very safe. Strong community and lots of young professionals and Polish in the apartment blocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 BomberBuckley

Hey Rustyzip!

My wife, nearly 2 year old daughter & I moved here in the last 6 months. We bought a house on one of the quieter streets and it's been great so far. I had some reservations before buying and did a lot of research as well as asking friends who knew the area. Also called into neighbours for a chat. We couldn't find any reason not to buy so went for it. Daughter is now in the creche in the Sean O Casey centre which is great and she loves it. There's real community here and we talk to all of our neighbours. Some people suggested that not being from East Wall or not being from Dublin would lead to a non welcome on arrival but that definitely isn't the case.

There's not as many pubs, cafes or restaurants as some of the nearby areas but those places also have far bigger house prices. Buses & the Luas are very handy and the Dart at Connolly or Clontarf aren't a million miles away.

As I said we are in one of the quieter streets but we haven't seen or heard of any trouble. I can't see us moving for quite a while - fingers crossed :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Could go fairview too, bit nicer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

RasTa wrote: »
    Could go fairview too, bit nicer

might be but will cost more

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Alicano

Hi OP.
    I bought in East Wall last May. I researched the crap out of the area prior and could not find any proper reason to dismiss it.. It's very much emerging and a real community feel. And great value to those of us on modest wages. Many places up for sale and being done up. It's a nice blend of a grannies who are there 80yrs and younger first time buyers. No trouble at all.
    We split 4 weeks after getting keys so I never actually 'lived' there. But I'm down every now and then and like it, plus the former partner says it's a great spot :o
    I'll give you a Boards.ie rate if I'm selling this year!
    Best of luck anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭RupertsHabit

Like subpar above says 'its on the up'.
    If I was buying there there'd be a little bit of me thinking 'this place must look very very good to a developer'. Right between Clontarf and city, thats a prime spot in the right circumstances.

Advertisement