Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eishtec

Options
  • 05-11-2015 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Had an interview with Eishtec this morning was told to come back tomorrow for an assessment what does that mean and involve and do I nearly have the job

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

you're in! best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 4 kraigybabe

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    you're in! best of luck

Thanks ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭cookie.monster

lets hope ya last longer than most out there!! best of luck you'll need it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭S.O

lets hope ya last longer than most out there!! best of luck you'll need it

Have you ever asked and wondered why a lot of people don't stay there ? I've heard a few things from people that worked there ; when a place has a few walk in interviews in the period of a few months bad impression .

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭JourneyMan8

S.O wrote: »
    Have you ever asked and wondered why a lot of people don't stay there ? I've heard a few things from people that worked there ; when a place has a few walk in interviews in the period of a few months bad impression .

assume quite a few hate the work, my friend couldn't handle been shouted down the phone and jumped ship as soon as he got another job elsewhere.

I'd say alot use it as a stop gap between jobs,.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

The person is after getting a job and all ye can do is talk about how terrible its gonna be. Let them find out for themselves but don't be putting the fear of God into them before they've ever started.

I worked in a call centre before and yes its not for everyone, but once you learn a few tricks and know the right thing to say you can turn very angry people into very appreciative people.

You have to understand that most people are only angry because they either have a problem or nobody is helping them with the problem, if you know what you're doing and properly help them out then that anger will very quickly dissipate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭S.O

assume quite a few hate the work, my friend couldn't handle been shouted down the phone and jumped ship as soon as he got another job elsewhere.

I'd say alot use it as a stop gap between jobs,.

If that is the logic, there is other call centres besides Eishtec in Waterford, people don,t be leaving the other call centres as fast, nor do the others have open day walk in Interviews as much as Eishtec has, if anyone has a friend that might of worked there ask them why they left, as I said in my other post, few things I have heard which Im not repeating .

• Registered Users Posts: 38,348 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

they have eventful xmas partys i heard. its good money for a single person as you would be doing full time hours. best of luck in the new role kraigybabe

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭cookie.monster

S.O wrote: »
    i know exactly why as know a fair few people who have gone and worked there including my cousin, the poor chap ended up nearly having a breakdown from the ****e he had to endure in there. there is so many people going through the place that when you reapply for the dole they give it to ya straight away no questions asked

• Registered Users Posts: 38,348 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

i know exactly why as know a fair few people who have gone and worked there including my cousin, the poor chap ended up nearly having a breakdown from the ****e he had to endure in there. there is so many people going through the place that when you reapply for the dole they give it to ya straight away no questions asked
    i would not blame the guy for finding it difficult its hours of people giving out to you, if youre on the sales side its hours of people ignoring you etc. I never done the job itself. There have been cases of suicides of workers there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Suicides? Jesus I feel sorry for anyone feeling that low from a stupid call centre job. I have heard quite a few stories of unreal pressure and bullying myself though so I definitely think there's no smoke without fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Relative of ours works there part-time in Sales and never has anything negative to say about the place .

I've seen payslips and they are impressive especially the bonuses for reaching targets .

id be interested in hearing back from the op in time to see what the place truly is like

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

PTH2009 wrote: »
    i would not blame the guy for finding it difficult its hours of people giving out to you, if youre on the sales side its hours of people ignoring you etc. I never done the job itself. There have been cases of suicides of workers there

I'm sure they're cases of workers in any industry committing suicide, however trying to in anyway suggest the employer is the causes without solid proof is pretty poor form.

Call centre work like any type of work is not for everyone. I've seen people hack 1hour of the work before getting up and leaving. But at the same time I've also seen this in retail work and office work too.

No job is for everyone, for many people out of college a call centre job can be their first job and it can often be an awful shock to their system when they find out their are required to show up bang on time, its not ok to be out sick/hungover all the time and no its not ok to be 2min past your break time. Being pulled up on such things along with actually having to deal with the joyful public can be awful hard for some people.

Bottom line is for anyone in any job, if it gets you down so much then get out and do something else or find a way of dealing with any stresses in the job if you can't in the meantime.

I've heard good and bad about Eishtec, but then I've heard good and bad about many company's. Some people are cut out for sales and will be good at it and will make money, others will hate every second of it.

Cabaal wrote: »
    I'm sure they're cases of workers in any industry committing suicide....

some very good points there alright but i do think theres something fundamentally wrong with this whole industry not just with this company. ive met many that have done this kind of work and many have developed mental health problems due to the fact. something needs to change in that industry.

p.s. best of luck with the running. impressive stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

some very good points there alright but i do think theres something fundamentally wrong with this whole industry not just with this company. ive met many that have done this kind of work and many have developed mental health problems due to the fact. something needs to change in that industry.

It all comes down to way the company is run and how management treat their staff. When it comes to Eishtec its in the gutter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

Its important to mention the fact that Eishtec has had a lot of walk in interviews and a couple of employees have committed suicide. It's also important to mention that we are talking about one of Waterford's largest employers and one of the fastest growing companies in the south east if not the whole country.

With such size some employees are going to develop mental health issues and 2 employees have even committed suicide out there in the last year. While that is tragic it isn't like people are committing suicide en masse out there. If you are working in Eishtec and have mental health issues then you can avail of confidential and free counselling through the VHI employee assistance programme.

It should also be pointed out that you don't spend all day on the phone dealing with angry people. Most of the customers are perfectly polite and just want to have their problems solved. If you're pleasant and good at your job then you'll get a few angry calls a day and you should be able to defuse those people fairly quickly. Working in a call centre is like working in any low paid job. If you approach it with the wrong mindset or aren't very good at it then you'll probably hate it. The same applies to working in a hotel or in a fast food restaurant.

The biggest problem with the industry is the people on the other end of the phone not the management. If some of the people calling up had better manners and a bit more respect then the work would be a lot more enjoyable. There isn't really a whole lot that can be done to change how the industry works.

Its important to mention the fact that Eishtec has had a lot of walk in interviews and a couple of employees have committed suicide. It's also important to mention that we are talking about one of Waterford's largest employers and one of the fastest growing companies in the south east if not the whole country.

With such size some employees are going to develop mental health issues and 2 employees have even committed suicide out there in the last year. While that is tragic it isn't like people are committing suicide en masse out there. If you are working in Eishtec and have mental health issues then you can avail of confidential and free counselling through the VHI employee assistance programme.

It should also be pointed out that you don't spend all day on the phone dealing with angry people. Most of the customers are perfectly polite and just want to have their problems solved. If you're pleasant and good at your job then you'll get a few angry calls a day and you should be able to defuse those people fairly quickly. Working in a call centre is like working in any low paid job. If you approach it with the wrong mindset or aren't very good at it then you'll probably hate it. The same applies to working in a hotel or in a fast food restaurant.

The biggest problem with the industry is the people on the other end of the phone not the management. If some of the people calling up had better manners and a bit more respect then the work would be a lot more enjoyable. There isn't really a whole lot that can be done to change how the industry works.

theres a lot of serious fundamental problems with this post. i ll respond in time. thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

The fundamental problem is you're competing with Indians on 1 euro an hour and every single thing you do for 8 hours a day is measured down to the last second. They literally measure how long it takes for you to go for a piss and will quickly remind you you cant piss anymore if you took too long the first time.

The human body and mind is not designed to sit on its ass for 8 hours a day being spoken down to by both people on the phones and the sociopath clowns in charge. If you're older than 20 and have any kind of pride in yourself do yourself a favour and pretend it doesn't exist. If you want some motivation and one of those "My arse am i doing this **** for the rest of my life" moments by all means drop in.

Also to anyone who thinks every call center job is a bad job is talking ****. Plenty of very technical, high earning support jobs that require good qualifications and skills where employees are respected and reflect this in the pay and benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

I lasted 6 months, and hated every second of it. They had a system in place when I was there where people coming from unemployment got 2 weeks dole money for their first 80 hours work during training, while people who came from other jobs got 2 weeks wages. They actually got away with this, talk about discrimination in the work place.

It's a stop gap job for most, and to be honest I'd advice anyone to treat it as such too. The majority of people in Eishtec including myself would of took the job because let's be honest Waterford isn't exactly job central.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

I lasted 6 months, and hated every second of it. They had a system in place when I was there where people coming from unemployment got 2 weeks dole money for their first 80 hours work during training, while people who came from other jobs got 2 weeks wages. They actually got away with this, talk about discrimination in the work place.

It's a stop gap job for most, and to be honest I'd advice anyone to treat it as such too. The majority of people in Eishtec including myself would of took the job because let's be honest Waterford isn't exactly job central.

That's the bottom line really.Last job I did in Ireland was in a pharma in Dublin and it was shocking the conditions I experienced. Unemplyment levels were at their peak so it was out of necessity. But people were getting sacked every week there.Still I reckon the call centre industry is demanding (never did it). Its interesting that the VHI thread on the KK forum has similar complaints though not as intense :D

Advertisement