Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop screen black

Options
  • 05-11-2015 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭

Hi all unfortunately having trouble with my laptop the screen just stays black when i turn it on...power light stays on but doesnt make any sounds etc like it normally would...thought this might be the screen so connected it to the tv which normally works fine but no picture on that either :confused: any ideas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭kodistar

Hi there

If your laptop has black screen and you can hear fan first thing take out the battery start it from the mains,if that works faulty battery,take out ram see if it starts,finally open up laptop,if you dont know how youtube it and clean fan at cpu could just be aload of dirt if none that works try plug your laptop into a monitor with blue cable and check if it give you picture if it does you need a new grapics card,hope i helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Hi all unfortunately having trouble with my laptop the screen just stays black when i turn it on...power light stays on but doesnt make any sounds etc like it normally would...thought this might be the screen so connected it to the tv which normally works fine but no picture on that either :confused: any ideas

Same issue with my Dell at the moment. GPU is borked.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

What make and model is the laptop? May be loose RAM or GPU failure

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

I had a problem like that with my toshiba satellite pro, it would turn on, the fan would start, the power light would turn on, but no screen, I ended up sending it to Toshiba in Germany, and they said there was nothing wrong, sent it to a local freelance repair guy, he couldn't find a problem, a guy in a branded repair shop in dun Laoghaire said it was the screen backlight and the guys at "know how" in pc world said it was the motherboard, finally, it was fixed- and they didn't have to even open it up! One look at it and they knew what was wrong.
    Get a few views before you jump and spend an arm!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Happens to my acer all the time now, shes over 6 years old.

I take her apart and stick the MB in the oven for 5 minutes @ gas mark 9. This "reflows" the MB

GPU is toast I reckon. Dont want to give up on her just yet, we've been through a lot together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

Hi all thanks laptop is tesco iqon m66je don't judge hehe approx 7 years old regards brian

Advertisement