Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Accounting Technician 2015/16

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭EmmaC88

I'm same Lorr, could be see it in August. What I learned didn't come up still answered everything but not great. Glad they are over now. Results aren't out for a while so gonna enjoy the break. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭lorr27

Oh Emma I'm after about 4 too many already half drowning my sorrows, half celebrating the end of my exams. I'm heading out there now again in an hour to continue "celebrating" even though I can see myself crying come July. I cannot bear the thought of resitting that exam. I actually found it painful and dull. How did all of your class mates find it?

lorr27 wrote: »
    Oh Emma I'm after about 4 too many already half drowning my sorrows, half celebrating the end of my exams. I'm heading out there now again in an hour to continue "celebrating" even though I can see myself crying come July. I cannot bear the thought of resitting that exam. I actually found it painful and dull. How did all of your class mates find it?

Some found it tough, some found it okish. Some didn't sit them at all. I just want 50 in all 4 not looking for anything higher hopefully I will but I know I'll be back in August. Anyway we won't know for a while so have to forget about them haha. Enjoy the celebrations :) You will be fine come July! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 starbear

Hi all, just jumping aboard! I hope you are all enjoying your break? I just completed year 1 and considering doing year 2 online.

Has anyone of you done this? I reckon I will have a tough year ahead with appointments for 2 of my kids medical needs.
    I have been working also and found the year extremely tough finding time for everything and forcing myself into the books when all the kids were gone to bed!

I found most papers fine and doable apart from Law have a feeling I will be repeating that one! Just found it so painful and dull (Ooooo I have shivers thinking of repeating it lol)

I may have a chance with a small practice for 9months intern however they are unsure of how I can work in hours for them and college thats another reason for doing it online!

I just don't want to stop, I am doing this for me to get myself back out there ;D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 325 ✭✭tanit

starbear wrote: »
    Hi all, just jumping aboard! I hope you are all enjoying your break? I just completed year 1 and considering doing year 2 online.

Has anyone of you done this? I reckon I will have a tough year ahead with appointments for 2 of my kids medical needs.
    I have been working also and found the year extremely tough finding time for everything and forcing myself into the books when all the kids were gone to bed!

I found most papers fine and doable apart from Law have a feeling I will be repeating that one! Just found it so painful and dull (Ooooo I have shivers thinking of repeating it lol)

I may have a chance with a small practice for 9months intern however they are unsure of how I can work in hours for them and college thats another reason for doing it online!

I just don't want to stop, I am doing this for me to get myself back out there ;D

After my first year I found a job and did the second year on evening classes two nights a week. Classes were in the evenings and I had plenty of time to go to them. Most offices will close at 5.30 and my classes started at 6.15 pm. But you need to have the time to do the commute to them.

It's doable but it gets very tiring working and studying, I passed my exams in May and I was working full time.

This year at Chartered Accountants I met a couple of girls that followed the Online route the second year and they talked wonders about it, they said it was great and they didn't have any problems passing the exams in May either. As far as I know the tutorials were online, they have support systems and there were workshops you could attend.

From their point of view was also doable and great.

So whichever way you want to go should be fine. Just consider whether you are good at keeping with the lectures if everything is online. Unfortunately in my case if everything is online, I tend to not do anything until the end and that's when things go wrong. I need to go to regular classes every so often to keep up with the syllabus. If that's your case too, I recommend you to go to evening classes but if you have no problems with everything online and sufficient willpower to set yourself time to study weekly, you can easily do it online, the materials and support are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 starbear

tanit wrote: »
    After my first year I found a job and did the second year on evening classes two nights a week. Classes were in the evenings and I had plenty of time to go to them. Most offices will close at 5.30 and my classes started at 6.15 pm. But you need to have the time to do the commute to them.

It's doable but it gets very tiring working and studying, I passed my exams in May and I was working full time.

This year at Chartered Accountants I met a couple of girls that followed the Online route the second year and they talked wonders about it, they said it was great and they didn't have any problems passing the exams in May either. As far as I know the tutorials were online, they have support systems and there were workshops you could attend.

From their point of view was also doable and great.

So whichever way you want to go should be fine. Just consider whether you are good at keeping with the lectures if everything is online. Unfortunately in my case if everything is online, I tend to not do anything until the end and that's when things go wrong. I need to go to regular classes every so often to keep up with the syllabus. If that's your case too, I recommend you to go to evening classes but if you have no problems with everything online and sufficient willpower to set yourself time to study weekly, you can easily do it online, the materials and support are great.

Thank you so much for all that info Tanit! Where did you do the evening courses? Realistically I think it will be online for me! Husband works shifts and no great support network with kids..I'll be burning the midnight oil lol
    Have any of you guys got "Information systems" for CPA? Was hoping to this along with next year and sit this exam in August!
    How are you doing yourself? Have you many more exams to sit?

starbear wrote: »
    Thank you so much for all that info Tanit! Where did you do the evening courses? Realistically I think it will be online for me! Husband works shifts and no great support network with kids..I'll be burning the midnight oil lol
    Have any of you guys got "Information systems" for CPA? Was hoping to this along with next year and sit this exam in August!
    How are you doing yourself? Have you many more exams to sit?

I went to Griffith College. But unfortunately I have read in other threads in this forum they no longer seem to be offering evening classes outside Dublin. In Dublin their classes are Tue and Thu 6.30 to 7.30 pm. Accounting technicians have a list of locations where you can find approved colleges to study if you go to numbersindna.ie/locations/ and they also offer themselves evening classes.

Regarding having children and doing it this way I know what you mean. I don't have children myself but I remember a girl in my class and the first weeks I noticed she always had a face that was in the middle of angry and extremely tired. I couldn't understand her until someone told she had two rugrats (two small children) one of them could barely walk and the other one just a bit older so I'd say 2 or 3 and 5 year old. After knowing that I totally understood her: she was exhausted ALL the time, but she managed to pass all the exams in May. So expect to have a very tired/angry face during the year but again is doable.

Hi, does anyway know what time the exam results be out online next week. Dreading looking at them, hoping I did it enough.. Just want to know at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

10am, Monday morning. You need both your registration number and exam number to access them.

10am, Monday morning. You need both your registration number and exam number to access them.

Thanks.. So scared already!!

• Advertisement

What will be will be! I just want to know one way or the other at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Hope no one minds me asking a question, I'm starting this course in September.

I understand that you have to do 2 years work experience in order to be fully qualified - does that mean that when I'm finished the course I won't be eligible to apply for accounting technician jobs because I won't be qualified? Or must I work unpaid for 2 years?

My other question is that I've seen people talk about working after year 1 and doing year 2 by night/online. Will I have any sort of qualification after 1 year that will allow me to work in this sector after a year while continuing my studies by night? Basically, am I employable after a year?

I have zero background in accounting and my previous studies haven't been remotely in this field at all so I'm trying to find out as much as possible about the course and my employment prospects before starting!

TIA for any replies, and good luck to anyone getting results! :)

You should be able to get part qualified accounting technician work, there seems to be a lot of positions available on the accounting technicians recruitment page that they email out every weekend and then do the course by night. That's how I do it. Or try local accountants, they take on trainees constantly and might even pay your fees in the meantime.

How did you all get on today? I am thrilled. I got much better results than I was expecting!

You should be able to get part qualified accounting technician work, there seems to be a lot of positions available on the accounting technicians recruitment page that they email out every weekend and then do the course by night. That's how I do it. Or try local accountants, they take on trainees constantly and might even pay your fees in the meantime.

How did you all get on today? I am thrilled. I got much better results than I was expecting!

Got on great I'm so delighted.. Got a distinction. Thought I would be back repeating at least one but no passed them all good. Haha stress for nothing. Looking forward to this time next year & it all behind us.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭juncert

Your placements are up in touchpoint now.

Does it say anywhere on the site how many people did the exams?

If you go in to the exam paper it will tell you how many sat the exams its usually 800 approx.

Its 1196 for Fin Acc. All others had people doing different papers.

I'm 2nd year so its 700-800 for most papers.

• Advertisement

juncert wrote: »
    I'm 2nd year so its 700-800 for most papers.

Can I ask a question about placement? Must u wait till u pass 2nd year to start filling out the form?

Placement, she means where you placed in the exams, 1st, 2nd, 3rd ..... 1196th.

There is no reason why you can't start filling in the work experience form but they charge you to submit it to them so might as well wait till the end.

Placement Im talking about is where you came in the exams.Are you asking about work experience?Im not sure if you can do it in first year, I know its about 200 euros for them to sign it off. Im only getting mine done now.

Placement Im talking about is where you came in the exams.Are you asking about work experience?Im not sure if you can do it in first year, I know its about 200 euros for them to sign it off. Im only getting mine done now.

Lol thanks blonde moment didn't know they do that where u placed! Oh ya coz girls in work were saying to fill it out as I go as it be a lot to fill out next year but don't even know how to get it & dunno if I could face it want summer off haha

it can be printed off the iati web site,put work experience in the search box.

it can be printed off the iati web site,put work experience in the search box.

Ok thank you :)

• Advertisement

Thanks juncert for the update. I scored 175th, delighted with that. I'm so relieved yr 1 is all behind me. I can't wait to get stuck in to yr 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 kkk.ie

Hi is there anyone who is going to pass law and ethic in August? Any ideas what we can expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Gerrymandering reborn

Hi all,
    I hope you don't mind if I ask a question.

I thinking of starting this course in September. What would be my options after obtaining a Higher Certificate at the end of year 1?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ainedon

Hi I'm just curious is it important to be savage at maths to take this course thanks

ainedon wrote: »
    Hi I'm just curious is it important to be savage at maths to take this course thanks
    No you only need to be decent. The maths used are not very difficult and you make do with a basic calculator with a square root function (you only need that the second year in Management)

• Advertisement

Hi all,
    I hope you don't mind if I ask a question.

I thinking of starting this course in September. What would be my options after obtaining a Higher Certificate at the end of year 1?

Thanks.
    If you pass Year 1 one with a believe Merit in your subjects you can go directly to Chartered Accountants CAP1 and go directly to becoming a chartered accountant. I don't think you could get exemptions anywhere else with only year 1 but I could be wrong.

From the working point of view you are better off finishing both years. You have the certification. I believe it's a very good one at its level and prepares you very well for the specific job and tasks you would be doing in an office. And I wouldn't be surprise if you can actually find a job after you first year. It becomes harder studying and working but it's very doable

I hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ainedon

Thanks Tanit for the speedy reply much appreciated.

Are we all set for second year? ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭mayo pixiebell

EmmaC88 wrote: »
    Are we all set for second year? ðŸ˜

How are u finding year 2?? I think it's very fast pace compared to last year ... (Well the year before!)
    I left a year between both years so maybe that's why I'm finding it tough

How are u finding year 2?? I think it's very fast pace compared to last year ... (Well the year before!)
    I left a year between both years so maybe that's why I'm finding it tough

Ya I am finding the same. They really went straight into it. I not in the swing of it yet so hopefully when I do ill be fine. Don't wanna end up panicking in May again like last year haha. I don't really like management accounting, think that will be my hardest subject this year. :o

Ya I am finding the same. They really went straight into it. I not in the swing of it yet so hopefully when I do ill be fine. Don't wanna end up panicking in May again like last year haha. I don't really like management accounting, think that will be my hardest subject this year. :o

Our tax tutor is still going through 1st year stuff with us. Yeah management is very different but seeming the exam has no surprises as such. Like if u get a question on labour costs it will be the exact same as the labour questions asked previously. Not sure though. I want to fill in my work experience before we get much further in to the course. It looks very complicated though

Well how are you all getting on? I'm finding it tricky enough and started studying these last few weeks as I'm starting to panic already. What are your plans once you finish this course, are you going on to ACCA/CPA etc?

Well how are you all getting on? I'm finding it tricky enough and started studying these last few weeks as I'm starting to panic already. What are your plans once you finish this course, are you going on to ACCA/CPA etc?

Hi
    We are almost finishe our course material and then on to revision. Starting to look for placement and it's hard to get. I would like to do advance taxation or further my studies in that direction but I'm looking to get a job first. I need to get back working

Have no plans as such, just want to pass. I'll see how second year goes. I wasn't going to go on but I did well in first year that my options opened. This year could be shocking then thou. Finding it so much tougher this year then last year. I feel I have no time to study as well, I get caught up on one thing & that's it. Can't wait for the IAS exam to be over.

It's very tough this year alright. I'm getting tired from it all now and can't wait to be finished. I've taken a break from study this week and chilled out. I'm feeling a bit sick with nerves with the thoughts of IAS in a few weeks. At least we're nearly finished, we can draw a line under it in another couple of weeks and burn the books lol.

• Advertisement

It's very tough this year alright. I'm getting tired from it all now and can't wait to be finished. I've taken a break from study this week and chilled out. I'm feeling a bit sick with nerves with the thoughts of IAS in a few weeks. At least we're nearly finished, we can draw a line under it in another couple of weeks and burn the books lol.

I know me too, I think if we keep practicing we should be ok. What gets me is the mircopay & all the working out. Think the only part I can do is excel that's really from doing it at work. I think panic will start setting in soon. Feel like I haven't done any study this year compared to last year.

OMG the amount of theory in advanced Financial accounting. Starting to panic now so much to do & hardly any time.

OMG the amount of theory in advanced Financial accounting. Starting to panic now so much to do & hardly any time.

There's a fair bit alright. I read the book cover to cover this last week and just wrote list of what definitions to learn over the next few days. I did the 3 sample papers in management accounting today and I'm burned out from it. I got 5 loads of washing done as I had to keep getting up and walking away from it. Hopefully it'll all fall into place in the end!

There's a fair bit alright. I read the book cover to cover this last week and just wrote list of what definitions to learn over the next few days. I did the 3 sample papers in management accounting today and I'm burned out from it. I got 5 loads of washing done as I had to keep getting up and walking away from it. Hopefully it'll all fall into place in the end!

Any idea what kind of theory will come up in management accounting? :P

Any idea what kind of theory will come up in management accounting? :P

Oh God, I've been working on all of the past papers and learning it as I've been going along. I'll be avoiding the full theory question like the plague. I'm a more practical, computational person. I hate trying to ramble on and wasting time looking for the proper terminology to use. To be fair I'm much better at it this week with all of the studying I've been doing but I think that it's much harder to get full marks in theory than in the computations. At least with the computations you're right or wrong, no fluffing about.

I am the same I rather computational questions too. Are u only doing sample papers in management accounting or past papers as well?

How u getting on in rest of them? I think ill be ok in financial accounting granted the theory question is ok. I'm allergic to the ppe question but it came up in summer & autumn so I doubt it will come up again? What u think am I taking a big chance.

Tax is a mine field. If I learn all rules for capital gains I hope that question be ok.

I am the same I rather computational questions too. Are u only doing sample papers in management accounting or past papers as well?

How u getting on in rest of them? I think ill be ok in financial accounting granted the theory question is ok. I'm allergic to the ppe question but it came up in summer & autumn so I doubt it will come up again? What u think am I taking a big chance.

Tax is a mine field. If I learn all rules for capital gains I hope that question be ok.

I'm doing past papers as well as sample for FA and MA but just sample for tax.
    I hate the ppe question too, I didn't look into it much and seem to be studying more partnerships, ratios and theory. Last night I went over standard setting process 8 steps, it's so boring thus making it more difficult to retain. I feel confident enough in financial and management accounting but like you, tax is very tricky still. I studied tax throughout the year and all of last week but I still get most of the questions wrong for some reason. I seem to fall for every "trap" as I'm doing the tax computations too quickly. I really need to slow down and highlight dates and things like that. Like I always fall for the capital allowances one, using the full year instead of the few months if it was the first year in operation. I hate disposals of mv's, finding the bal charge/allowance. I hate doing maximum relief in the CGT and I die a death when I see sale of home where they moved out for a number of years. VAT is lovely enough, CGT is handy enough once I cement in the above. I can do the addback adjusted profit grand, still get a bit stuck with other income.
    I'm really looking forward to just getting stuck in to the exams now, I'm sick of study at this stage!

Can't believe the exams are next week. I'm so off with tax too just hoping and praying for nice papers. I just want them over at this stage.

Ya Lorr I'm same I just run with question in tax. It's all about financial accounting this weekend thou. Theory wise where do u start. I have a feeling internal & external auditors will come up with government grants! Haha I could be all out hope I am not thou.

• Advertisement

God I'm wrecked from a long day of study today. Theory is a dose. I got it more or less covered tonight hopefully it will stick. Did your lecturers advise to write loads or keep short and sweet, mine said just do a couple of lines and no fluffing and waffling as in my management accounting lecturer then told us to keep writing for the full 35 mins allotted for the question. im contemplating leaving the theory q to last

Advertisement