Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Methods of Acquiring Curreny

Options
  • 05-11-2015 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭

hi everyone. I am looking for different ideas to make money, preferable in the technology sector but all are welcome. I am currently doing Computer Science and business in college so that will help with any business ventures I may embark on. My reason for asking is not out of laziness or lack of creativity, more so that I may not know of some things even being possible to make money off due to lack of knowledge. These ideas dont necessarily have to be realistic, just trying to become aware of different areas I could get into. Any ideas dont have to be tailored towards my needs, but the type I am looking for are low investment ventures.
    Some of the ideas I have/might do are:-

- Phone fixing: have created a phone fixing business. Business is slowing down atm, profit margins are slim enough and it can be quite time consuming and stressful.

- app development: Wont have the ability to make apps for people due to lack of knowledge. Create my own apps, stick adds on them and hope for the best I suppose is the only option.

- Web development: same as apps really

- bitcoin investment: Risky business, with the recent spike of btc I have made a few hundred but highly unlikely it will happen again.

- binary options: risky stock gambling. Have friends that currently do it and arnt doing too bad. With enough research could work out. I could also program my own indicators.

- computer nixers: Could help people install OS, get programs for them, help clean computer up. Build/upgrade computers. Customers however most likely wouldnt expand past people I know well.

extras:-
    Gambling of sorts is there obviously. Poker and sports would be options. Managing bankroll and all that of course.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

All those have been done to death the margin is gone. Its when you get in first you make the money.

There are people posting here about doing phone repairs every few weeks thinking it is easy money.

Apps can be worth a shot is amazing how basic some of the top selling games are just seems you have to just make something catchy. Put in funny songs and cute cats and fill it with adverts!

Bitcoin seems as punty as sports betting as a money making excersize these days. Probably is some money to make somewhere but not much.

The Pokerstars changes next year are going to be the final nail in the coffin for a ton of rake back pros. To get to the level needed to make even $50k a year is a huge learning curve. When Timex can't beat 500zoom it's time to look elsewhere! Getting SNE was the only thing that made it possible as a career for most people. Obviously there other options but let's be honest PS is where the new players tend to go.

If you like tech maybe start a new websummit there's a gap in the market opening up for one here soon! Sell it at €1200/pp or whatever it is then €20 for a burger and get the Government to pay for a lorry to carry all the money to the bank!

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RoRo979

Indeed I understand all these ideas have been done, hence the reason for this post. There must be other ways that I have not thought of.
    There are people posting here about doing phone repairs every few weeks thinking it is easy money.

It was perfect for me when i was in school, I quickly became knows as the phone fixer and pupils and teachers would all come to me. Made a name for my business, stuck an add on adverts. All was going well then with the leaving cert I though id take a break and never had the motiviation to go back.

Nevertheless I will go for apps but I dont want it to be my primary concern as imo it is so hit and miss.

poker isnt really an option for anything serious, just for a bit of money here and there. My college and local GAA clubs all do poker nights which might be worth my while.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

RoRo979 wrote: »
    Indeed I understand all these ideas have been done, hence the reason for this post. There must be other ways that I have not thought of.

It was perfect for me when i was in school, I quickly became knows as the phone fixer and pupils and teachers would all come to me. Made a name for my business, stuck an add on adverts. All was going well then with the leaving cert I though id take a break and never had the motiviation to go back.

Nevertheless I will go for apps but I dont want it to be my primary concern as imo it is so hit and miss.

poker isnt really an option for anything serious, just for a bit of money here and there. My college and local GAA clubs all do poker nights which might be worth my while.

Everyone is after the undiscovered profit making scheme why would anyone who had a way to make money no one else had thought of share it on a random Internet forum? Most people end up making money from doing what they know and just doing it slightly better in some way or slightly more efficiently rather than coming up with some killer completely original idea. It's normally a good idea to stick to what you know.

Those local poker events are heavily raked unless you have 30 people playing for the first time it's going to be next to impossible to have a decent hourly long term.

Advertisement