Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dampness - shower dome

Options
  • 05-11-2015 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

Has anyone tried installing a shower dome to reduce the condensation in the bathroom.

In my case the en suite has a lot of dampness- it's been painted, fan replaced etc and it keeps coming back.

So bit of googling and came across this as a possibility. My shower is floor to ceiling so not sure if it can still be fitted but firstly interested if anyone has installed one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Do you have a timed fan? I my experience its the different between having a mouldy bathroom and a mould free bathroom

You can also buy a chemical to prevent mould growth from Igoe in Glasnevin Industrial estate. Its an Australian product and it prevents mould from growing. I also know of some painters who swear by using weathershield indoors. Its designed for higher moisture levels as its for the outside. But the fumes of it when painting are horrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭what2do

You can also buy a chemical to prevent mould growth from Igoe in Glasnevin Industrial estate. Its an Australian product and it prevents mould from growing. I also know of some painters who swear by using weathershield indoors. Its designed for higher moisture levels as its for the outside. But the fumes of it when painting are horrific.[/quote]

Thanks for the response- is using these paints not just masking the problem... I'd like to get rid of it?!

And it is a timed fan... Well it runs for a while after you turn it off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

what2do wrote: »
    You can also buy a chemical to prevent mould growth from Igoe in Glasnevin Industrial estate. Its an Australian product and it prevents mould from growing. I also know of some painters who swear by using weathershield indoors. Its designed for higher moisture levels as its for the outside. But the fumes of it when painting are horrific.

Thanks for the response- is using these paints not just masking the problem... I'd like to get rid of it?!

And it is a timed fan... Well it runs for a while after you turn it off?[/QUOTE]

It wont stop the dampness. But it will prevent mould from growing. You can buy insulated paint or powdered stuff to add to insulate paint from Igoe too. Which will stop condensation on the walls.

Yeah. So when you turn off the light. The fan will run for an additional 15 mins(on some of them you set it for 2-30 mins, it all depends on the which of the several brands of fan you buy). You can also buy fans that have a built in moisture level monitor and only turn off when the moisture is below a certain level. They are fairly expensive about €100-150 versus €15 for a timed fan. You might not have the correct wiring for the fan though

Honestly the difference between a timed fan and no timed fan is pretty big

Advertisement