Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stone Roses 2016 - The Fourth Coming

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

We moved from the left to the centre to get better sound, sound was dire along the left

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Sometimes I . . . . . . . . . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

We moved from the left to the centre to get better sound, sound was dire along the left

We were along the right...Sound was ****teee going to give up on that venue now. Could be good but its not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Good gig. Sound was dodge where we were but not the worst.
    Very edgy on way in to gig and queue to get in was a joke.
    Trying to get to m park via public transport a joke too.
    Several fights where I was and saw riot police wading deep into crowd at some stage , whatever happened.
    Lots of English hooligan wannabes .
    Guy chanting in English accent in queue on way in and when he started talking it was a Midlands accent. Utter tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 powreturn

pm1977x wrote: »
    Enjoyed the gig, sound was great.

The bar queues were mental, just didn't bother, wasn't worth it.

Crowd were a weird mix, loving the first few bars of their favourite songs, singing the choruses and then barely noticing/clapping by the end of the song - 100s left early, maybe down to the transport nightmare?

Very bad crowd management on the way in, we were stuck for 15-20 mins in a huge crowd with next to no movement, then suddenly let up to the barriers/frisking area en masse, didn't make sense and could have been a crush considering how many people were pissed/off their faces and getting antsy.

I could have written the exact same, except I did queue at the bar and it wasn't worth it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,657 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Were yis all queuing for the Heineken bar? The queue there was huge but down at the Orchard Theives cider bar it wasnt too bad, about 15 mins in and out the two times I went

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭q2xv9rjei4awgb

Band were great....
    Reni is the best drummer I've seen over the last 30 years.
    Brown sang very well tonight, by his own standards.
    Gig was badly organised
    Sound wasn't great at certain locations
    Too many people there who weren't real fans of the band and just turned up wearing bucket hats
    Nightmare venue to get out of

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

powreturn wrote: »
    I could have written the exact same, except I did queue at the bar and it wasn't worth it

Transport/bar stories on here don't bode well for Longitude next weekend.

WTF is it with the massive bar queues at events this year compared to last few years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Not overly impressed. The crowd was aa bit messy IMO. Saw a couple of bloody faces. Lots of people chatting during the songs etc.
    The stage in the middle of the field is not good, much better at the bottom or top of the field.
    Sound was not good.
    Queue to get in was 15 mins and the bar queue was nuts.
    I thought the band were not that in to it. After T in the park on Friday they could have been a bit wrecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Bladeserver

I thought they were horrendous. The queues for the bar were +1 hour. The queue on the way in was also a joke but I think it was down to everyone just arriving later and skipping the support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Really enjoyed that, managed to get VIP pass through a work mate so was able to have a few pints with no ques and wander up to the front which probably made my experience all the better, agree with the comments about the crowd, I sold my Pheonix park tickets after being to see them in Heaton park last time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Really enjoyed myself by have to echo what some people said. The sound wasnt great. Seemed way way too low. Seems like the guys were just going through the motions as well.

Didn't see any trouble or anything but nearly everyone I talked to was giving out about how to get back after. Seems a bit of a mess transport wise. Had a couple of thousand people waiting for taxis at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Bulmers

We got Marathon coach up around 5pm so was in the venue just before 6,no hassle.

soak hadn't started so handy enough getting few pints at that stage.

We were at front to right, sound was fine and crowd decent enough around us but found early part of the Roses set, people bit dis interested and talking.

I enjoyed the Roses set,Reni defo seemed to be enjoying it and was great, Mani looked off his tits and not sure where he was,I noticed in the corner beside Mani off stage another guy with a guitar,wonder was Mani even playing,Brown was standard,still has the presence and thought Squire on form but felt going through the motion a little, possibly them having a gig night before catching up on them.

Bar during the gig was a joke,went up halfway through R&G but turned back.what is it with gigs in Ireland and trying to get a pint..

The marathon coaches were great though,my first time in marlay and dont know how would have got home.

All in all enjoyed it but think €80 was a bit steep for ticket considering the support.

I'm a big Roses fan and seen them 4 times now (imcluding Feile 95)..I think now that's me done seeing them but still a great band.

I've come to conclusion no matter what gig thread you read on here after the gig it's always full of moaners.

If the sound wasn't great where you were then move some where else that's exactly what we did and sounded great. We used Marathon buses, there was a long queue after it but it moved quickly enough considering the numbers, would definitely use them again for Marley Park.

Really enjoyed the gig especially the last 6-7 songs, highlights for me were made of stone and this is the one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Would love to try to get to see them indoors before they call it a day again, Brown's voice in NY during the week was supposed to have been way better, which is understandable

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Agree with Bulmers' assessment of the performance. Brown still owns the stage and has a presence, thought his voice was great apart from maybe Resurrection. Squire definitely going through the motions but tight with no complaints. Ditto Mani. And Reni..? The guy is just amazing.

No issues soundwise for me. Actually thought it was perfect. Was to left of stage a bit.

Didn't bother with beer queues. Five minute queue for bottle of (off the back of a lorry from Eastern Europe) Prosecco worked for me. Crowds in and out were mental but expected. Had a couple of designated drivers with us and parked at a friend who lived 30 minutes walk away so no idea about buses in/out.

Crowd - I posted earlier that there were a serious amount of shady characters around and witnesssed what looked like an organised football hooligan fight. But once inside the crowd were grand. Maybe some not very interested but most got into it for the big singalong anthems.

Overall, good day. Weather helped. Band seemed to go through the numbers and felt they ripped through the set but music was perfect so happy enough.

Third time seeing them since the comeback and will go again if they do another tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

threein99 wrote: »
    If the sound wasn't great where you were then move some where else that's exactly what we did and sounded great.

The point is, you shouldn't have to do this when you've paid €80 for a ticket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Exactly. They skimp on the sound system at lots of these gigs, you hear the same reports about the smaller stages at electric picnic, that the sound systems are not good enough to deliver decent sound further away. There is no excuse for it after paying 80 quid a ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

Soak - sound was terrible - heavy bass completely overpowered the fragileness of her act and her performance was washed away in it's wake.

Rodrigo y Gabriela - had forgotten how good they were, strongly entertained the crowd for a lot of their set although as it went on I think the crowd started to bore a bit until they finished strongly with Tamacun.

The Stone Roses - sound was excellent in the central pit area. Thought they put in a great set, first time seeing them, the show lived up to my expectations, really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,309 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Exactly. They skimp on the sound system at lots of these gigs, you hear the same reports about the smaller stages at electric picnic, that the sound systems are not good enough to deliver decent sound further away. There is no excuse for it after paying 80 quid a ticket.

There is. It's atmospheric. Sound waves propagate through air. On a relatively hot and humid day outdoor sound is notoriously difficult to regulate. Now add in the delay towers. And wind. I live about a mile from Marley. Couldn't hear a thing. Some gigs there would deafen you. On other days a moderate breeze completely insulates you.

Engineers will do their best, but with sound checks taking place sometimes the day before, there's little that can be done on an outdoor gig bar fine adjustment once the rig is up and running. If you want decent-ish sound at an outdoor gig, stand close to the sound desk, where you'll be hearing things from the engineer's POV.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Thought Squire's guitar was a bit on the low side for a lot of songs. Could barely hear it over the rest and I was in the pit, left of centre. Other than that I thought they were excellent. Zero bull****, just got on with the gig.

Some amount of youngsters about. They definitely have a new generation of fans that will keep Stone Roses pockets ticking over.

Loved Rodrigo y Gabriela, my fourth time seeing them and probably their best performance thus far. I was worried a lot of their sound would be lost in the open air but surprisingly everything sounded great. Loved the usual little section in their set list dedicated to Rage Against the Machine, Megadeth and Metallica. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

We got there early enough so had no hassle getting in and had easy access to the bar. Didn't bother with the bar once the place started to fill up. 40000 people trying to get to 40 bars is never going to work.

Went up towards the pit barrier on the sound stage side at first and it was carnage. Moved to the back of the pit against the barrier and had a load of space. Sound was great from there but we were dead centre. We all know Ian Brown can't sing but it didn't take from a great stage performance. Man they have some great tunes!

The car park exit was a farce. They left the corner from bus exit too sharp so each bus had to roll into the car lane meaning that the cars weren't moving and inch. Only got sorted once the cops arrived and relieved the idiot stewards of their duties.

All in all a really good gig except for the car park. Much better than Phoenix park

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

endacl wrote: »
    There is. It's atmospheric. Sound waves propagate through air. On a relatively hot and humid day outdoor sound is notoriously difficult to regulate. Now add in the delay towers. And wind. I live about a mile from Marley. Couldn't hear a thing. Some gigs there would deafen you. On other days a moderate breeze completely insulates you.

Engineers will do their best, but with sound checks taking place sometimes the day before, there's little that can be done on an outdoor gig bar fine adjustment once the rig is up and running. If you want decent-ish sound at an outdoor gig, stand close to the sound desk, where you'll be hearing things from the engineer's POV.

I'm sure it's not easy, but I've never seen it be much of an issue at outdoor gigs I've been to in other countries, so it's very doable. Usually with more speakers at there were last night. As far as I remember, there were speakers at the stage and then a ring roughly in line with the sounddesk to cover the rest of the crowd. Elsewhere, I've seen at least another row of speakers halfway between the sounddesk and the back.

The problem is that people (myself included) keep going to these gigs and paying their money, so there's little incentive for MCD to improve the set-up they use.

Fair point but outdoor gigs can be dodgy sound wise. It was quite windy at times too which probably didn't help

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Really enjoyed it, much more than Finsbury Park on the last tour.

Did have issues with the volume on Squire's guitar as some others have said but other than that was happy enough. Brown had one of his better signing nights and the crowd was really good where I was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

endacl wrote: »
    If you want decent-ish sound at an outdoor gig, stand close to the sound desk, where you'll be hearing things from the engineer's POV.

We were beside it yesterday and the sound was perfect. Really enjoyed the gig. Thought the band were much tighter than last time in Phoenix Park. Reni looked like he was having the time of his life

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Really enjoyed the show.

Yes there were some issues with the sound but these were minimal as I was standing in between the two speakers to the right of the control tower.

I've seen Ian a good few times but never seen the full band. I thought his vocals were better than they had been in years.

Poor Mani looked fooked and a few people around me were joking that they must have had first aid back stage for him.

Reni was on fire and Johns playing was really tight

Didn't see any trouble and thought the crowd was good

The Orchard Thieves bar was slow but not horrendous except it closed at ten to ten which was rubbish.

All in all delighted to have seen the Roses. Marlay Park is a terrible choice of venue and I doubt I'll be returning

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Thought it was a great gig. Ian Brown's live voice is better than it's ever been - now that's not saying much but he really looks like he's enjoying himself.

Marlay Park is not suited to a one-stage set-up and at times everything felt claustrophobic, nevermind trying to get a drink. It's much better for Longitude where things are spread out and there's not everyone at the one stage. Not sure I'll be back for a single stage gig there again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Arrived about 7.45 and had to endure Rodrigo y Gabriela worst support act ive ever seen everyone was like wtf get off the stage.

Eventually the Roses come on just after 9pm and what an amazing performance,no issues with sound here myself i thought it was perfect, great to see so many flares being lit as well adds to the atmosphere which i nay add was brilliant, everyone was out to have a great time and everyone did, the after party in Hangar was equally as good, amazing night and paying for it today.

Advertisement