Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stone Roses 2016 - The Fourth Coming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭ooter

I was told on Friday there was a fight arranged between supporters of 2 prominent Dublin football clubs (I won't name them but they both have a problem with schooligans so not hard to work it out) so I'm sure the gardai were aware of it and were just waiting for it to kick off.
    Wasn't impressed with the SR, Reni looked up for it and brown to a lesser extent but squire looked disinterested and Mani looked like he'd taken a stroke, did he move from his spot once in the whole gig?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,823 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

jonnny68 wrote: »
    Arrived about 7.45 and had to endure Rodrigo y Gabriela worst support act ive ever seen everyone was like wtf get off the stage.

Don't know about that. RyG were pretty good. Most of the lads I was with were very impressed with them.

Flares don't really add to anything....just poison everyone beside them with acrid smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,007 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Really enjoyed RyG and the Roses.
    Mani was hilarious, looked absolutely FUBAR'd. Felt at times like they were just dialing in a performance but seemed to up it about half way through.

On the venue, I think Marley park is awful. Getting to and from the venue is an epic headache and pain in the hole. Getting into and out of the venue is genuinely dangerous. So many pinch points that it beggars belief how they get away with it consistently.

I'd go see both acts again but shall never set foot in that venue again.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Some great videos on youtube. I even saw myself on one :pac::p.
    I enjoyed every minute of the gig, I thought their performance was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Anyone got a clip of the stand up for the boys in green in the car park? Was brilliant

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

jonnny68 wrote: »
    Arrived about 7.45 and had to endure Rodrigo y Gabriela worst support act ive ever seen everyone was like wtf get off the stage.

Did they put in a bad performance or did you just not like them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Literally every single time I have seen them, or him as a solo act. Not a great singer is putting it mildly :)

He hasn't a note in his head.

A lot of the Roses fanbase are complete scumbags unfortunately so you'll always see a fight at their gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

The Nal wrote: »
    He hasn't a note in his head.

A lot of the Roses fanbase are complete scumbags unfortunately so you'll always see a fight at their gigs.
    Didn't see one single fight or argument. A good few drunk people and a few off their heads but I saw no violence, thankfully.
    Gig was very good, I was towards the back and the crowd around us just seemed disinterested. Reni looked to be having fun, Mani seemed to have stage fright. Thought All For One sounded great live.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭strongback

I thought, like some others, the band seemed a bit tired and lackluster in the 1st hour. Reni seemed the only one really up for it and was having a blast looking for every minute like a man absolutely loving what he was doing, by far the most talented member of the group and the most accomplished playing live. Pure unadulterated joy. All the band wore in ear monitors which sometimes make me think bands are playing to a click track but if Reni was he would have blown up the robot.

Mani since the comeback a few years ago has the look of a man either crapping himself he is going to make a mistake or he's about to have a heart attack and is just about holding it together. Apart from a couple of mistimed notes which is no major crime he was grand.

Brown had the swagger but I didn't see the passion. The songs and the crowd shifted things up for him in the second half of the gig. Of course some of the vocals were going to be sh1te but the NME back in the day didn't call him "Shout in a bucket Brown" for nothing. In general he wasn't too bad for him. A notable low point was She Bangs the Drum, which was already at least a couple of keys lower than the original recording, and he still made a bollix of it. He just shouted his way through it with absolutely no tune or melody to his voice or timing.

Squire has always looked disinterested so nothing new there. On the first album his playing is smart and he really adds to the songs and although it's all fairly simple stuff and nothing too flash he just plays the right notes and it fits perfectly with the times and what the band were about. As a hard rock guitarist he is very generic and the solos he played last night are the stable of any half decent pub covers band player. The guy was just there, I think he was better four years ago and that can be seen in the Made of Stone movie. Still a very over rated guitarist to me, just noting really creative happening when he is playing hard rock which is not what you would expect from a guy as highly rated as he is. He is nowhere near the player Johnny Marr is and when you compare him to the guitarist many worldwide see as one of the best of the last 30 years, John Frusciante, Squire isn't in the same stratosphere.

The sound was ok where I was, I was standing directly to the right of the sound booth as you look at the stage. I could hear Squires guitar clearly, personally I don't think it should be too loud in the mix as I think it can overpower the songs and especially the drums which are the real highlight in the live band.

I enjoyed the gig and sang my lungs out to Made of Stone, the song just takes me back to being a kid on a housing estate in the 1980's.

The gig wasn't a sell out but Marley still felt really packed and a little claustrophobic.

Marley Park turned turned into a nightmare for me, the queue to get in went through a bottle neck that meant the crowd was going nowhere fast. I went in at 8pm and looking at the crowds queuing to get a drink I didn't bother. The clincher though was getting home. I came out to Marley on the no.14 bus from town close to where I live which was no problem. My mistake was thinking I would get the No14 home. I was at the bus stop at 11.15pm the gig ended at 10.45pm and I got out of Marley at 11.00pm. There was a big crowd at the bus stop and one No.14 bus came at 11.20pm and filled up quickly and I was too far back in the queue to get on. I waited 40 minutes for the next bus watching the Dublin bus app. At 12 midnight a full No. 14 bus drove past and we were left stranded.

We walked the half hour to Dundrum hoping for a taxi or a last Luas but got neither. As we walked we came across groups of 20 or more marauding people drifting aimlessly around hoping for a way home. As one of the lads said it was like a scene out of 28 Days Later.

After a while we just started asking anybody with a car could they take us into town. We ended up finding a guy, not a taxi, who drove us into town for €40. This was more than 2 and a half hours after the gig.

More needs to be done to get people home from Marley Park gigs.

I would think long and hard about venturing out to a gig in Rathfarnam again.

By the way the tickets were well overcharged at €80 including booking fee, that's why they could still be officially purchased at the gate on the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,978 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Decent gig.

Soak surprised me with the amount of songs I have heard on TXFM but not actually knowing it was them!

Always enjoy RYG. Again another great performance.

Stone Roses ... Good stuff from them. Not perfect but enjoyed it. I think I could be done with outdoor gigs. Most gigs I have seen recently have been outdoors and sound loss has ruined it for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭flasher0030

strongback wrote: »
    I thought, like some others, the band seemed a bit tired and lackluster in the 1st hour. Reni seemed the only one really up for it and was having a blast looking for every minute like a man absolutely loving what he was doing, by far the most talented member of the group and the most accomplished playing live. Pure unadulterated joy. All the band wore in ear monitors which sometimes make me think bands are playing to a click track but if Reni was he would have blown up the robot.

Mani since the comeback a few years ago has the look of a man either crapping himself he is going to make a mistake or he's about to have a heart attack and is just about holding it together. Apart from a couple of mistimed notes which is no major crime he was grand.

Brown had the swagger but I didn't see the passion. The songs and the crowd shifted things up for him in the second half of the gig. Of course some of the vocals were going to be sh1te but the NME back in the day didn't call him "Shout in a bucket Brown" for nothing. In general he wasn't too bad for him. A notable low point was She Bangs the Drum, which was already at least a couple of keys lower than the original recording, and he still made a bollix of it. He just shouted his way through it with absolutely no tune or melody to his voice or timing.

Squire has always looked disinterested so nothing new there. On the first album his playing is smart and he really adds to the songs and although it's all fairly simple stuff and nothing too flash he just plays the right notes and it fits perfectly with the times and what the band were about. As a hard rock guitarist he is very generic and the solos he played last night are the stable of any half decent pub covers band player. The guy was just there, I think he was better four years ago and that can be seen in the Made of Stone movie. Still a very over rated guitarist to me, just noting really creative happening when he is playing hard rock which is not what you would expect from a guy as highly rated as he is. He is nowhere near the player Johnny Marr is and when you compare him to the guitarist many worldwide see as one of the best of the last 30 years, John Frusciante, Squire isn't in the same stratosphere.

The sound was ok where I was, I was standing directly to the right of the sound booth as you look at the stage. I could hear Squires guitar clearly, personally I don't think it should be too loud in the mix as I think it can overpower the songs and especially the drums which are the real highlight in the live band.

I enjoyed the gig and sang my lungs out to Made of Stone, the song just takes me back to being a kid on a housing estate in the 1980's.

The gig wasn't a sell out but Marley still felt really packed and a little claustrophobic.

Marley Park turned turned into a nightmare for me, the queue to get in went through a bottle neck that meant the crowd was going nowhere fast. I went in at 8pm and looking at the crowds queuing to get a drink I didn't bother. The clincher though was getting home. I came out to Marley on the no.14 bus from town close to where I live which was no problem. My mistake was thinking I would get the No14 home. I was at the bus stop at 11.15pm the gig ended at 10.45pm and I got out of Marley at 11.00pm. There was a big crowd at the bus stop and one No.14 bus came at 11.20pm and filled up quickly and I was too far back in the queue to get on. I waited 40 minutes for the next bus watching the Dublin bus app. At 12 midnight a full No. 14 bus drove past and we were left stranded.

We walked the half hour to Dundrum hoping for a taxi or a last Luas but got neither. As we walked we came across groups of 20 or more marauding people drifting aimlessly around hoping for a way home. As one of the lads said it was like a scene out of 28 Days Later.

After a while we just started asking anybody with a car could they take us into town. We ended up finding a guy, not a taxi, who drove us into town for €40. This was more than 2 and a half hours after the gig.

More needs to be done to get people home from Marley Park gigs.

I would think long and hard about venturing out to a gig in Rathfarnam again.

By the way the tickets were well overcharged at €80 including booking fee, that's why they could still be officially purchased at the gate on the night.

It’s a tricky one alright. Is there no shuttle bus service organised after the gig, to bring people back into town?
    I live 6 miles from Marley, so decided to cycle. I was home at 11.45. Made for a great night. No stuck in traffic, and I knew that I was guaranteed to be home at decent time. Got home at 4.30 in the morning from AC/DC gig in Punchestown few years ago. Vowed that that will never happen me again.

There is bit of responsibility on gig-goers to at least consider what they might do after the gig. Thousands of people just came out of Marley clueless as to what happens now. It was like – ok, where do we go now, and how are we going to get home. That’s a bit presumptuous. To leave a gig at Marley, attended by between 30k and 40k people, and expect to just hop on a bus with a capacity of about 70 people is pretty naïve. At least make some plan – Park car in Rathfarnham, walk to car and avoid the traffic/people, walk to Luas, have someone collect you around Rathfarnham area, cycle to gig etc. There is no easy solution, but you could have walked to town and back again by the time you actually came to some solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 cortezfloyd

threein99 wrote: »
    Best place to get a rain jacket that wont cost a fortune ? and actually keeps you dry

TK Maxx

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

It’s a tricky one alright. Is there no shuttle bus service organised after the gig, to bring people back into town?
    I live 6 miles from Marley, so decided to cycle. I was home at 11.45. Made for a great night. No stuck in traffic, and I knew that I was guaranteed to be home at decent time. Got home at 4.30 in the morning from AC/DC gig in Punchestown few years ago. Vowed that that will never happen me again.

There is bit of responsibility on gig-goers to at least consider what they might do after the gig. Thousands of people just came out of Marley clueless as to what happens now. It was like – ok, where do we go now, and how are we going to get home. That’s a bit presumptuous. To leave a gig at Marley, attended by between 30k and 40k people, and expect to just hop on a bus with a capacity of about 70 people is pretty naïve. At least make some plan – Park car in Rathfarnham, walk to car and avoid the traffic/people, walk to Luas, have someone collect you around Rathfarnham area, cycle to gig etc. There is no easy solution, but you could have walked to town and back again by the time you actually came to some solution.

yes, there is, Marathon Coaches, €10 return, they were advertised quite a bit.
    also shuttle buses running to Dundrum Luas stop too.

GBX wrote: »
    I think I could be done with outdoor gigs. Most gigs I have seen recently have been outdoors and sound loss has ruined it for me.

Have to agree here. Outdoor gigs are quickly turning into massive arenas for kids to get a drinking day out, regardless of who the band playing are and for event companies to milk as much as they can.

While I enjoyed the gig, when playing in a venue that size and outdoors, the sound should be spectacular, not the same sound as if they were playing to 4 or 5 thousand.
    If I keep going to them, I'm going to come away from one of them very soon feeling as though I have been spectacularly ripped off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I've gone to tons of outdoor gigs over the years. It's extremely difficult for the engineers to get the sound perfect, especially on days with a bit of wind. This has always been the case so I don't know why people are surprised it wasn't perfect (depending on where they were standing)

I'm old enough to have seen the Stone Roses the first time around and I would not consider myself irresponsible.

There was travel advice issued by Ticketmaster, Dun Laoghaire Rathdown Co Co and others on how to travel to and from the gig. One of the option given was using Dublin Bus. This option suited me best as the No. 14 bus passes close to where I live. It takes me much closer to home than the Marathon buses do. That was my logic.

It said in the travel guidance provided to check Dublin Bus timetables which I did and there were buses running. I knew there would be demand for the buses so I got to the bus stop quickly after the gig. Two No.14's ran after the gig one at 11.20am and the second at 12 midnight. There were no extra Dublin Buses for the gig so that is a lesson learned for me. It would appear Dublin Bus do not to get too involved with getting people home from Marley after a gig.

It is a two hour walk to Stephen's Green from Marley Park so that wasn't too palatable to me at that stage of the night.

I did not go by car or bike as I was having a few drinks.

People on the board seem to be happy with the Marathon coaches so that appears to be the way to go if I could ever again be bothered with the overall hassle of going to a Marley Park gig.

My general point is there were a lot of people walking around hours after the gig, many of them young, who just could just not find a way home. Many people had no idea where they were or had directions. That seems wrong to me even if these people are say young, clueless about getting home or had no plan.

Once you are stuck out there after the last Luas, which might only be an hour or so after getting out of the venue, good look getting home. The walk to Dundrum from Marley Park is listed on Google Map as 36 minutes so that shows how tight it is to catch a Luas.

I have gone to literally 100's of gigs and with the exception of the long walk to freedom after a gig at Slane the Marley Park after gig travel arrangements are the worst I have ever seen.

Here's a two year old article from The Journal literally describing exactly what I witnessed on Saturday night. Wish I had of read it before I decided to go home with Dublin Bus.

http://www.thejournal.ie/arcade-fire-pixies-marlay-park-transport-1545672-Jun2014/

Same story as any big outdoor gig in Ireland.

Slane is always shambolic. Got into our car after the Chili Peppers - after a very dangerous unsupervised crush at the gate - and sat motionless for 4 hours before they let use move. 4am. OK you can go now. U2 similar.

Malahide Castle after Neil Young. Same. Complete free for all in the car park. No lights on and no security. Literally not one. Chaos.

Roses in the Phoenix Park. Ended up walking through the park in the pitch black to get out at the Chapelizod gate.

People also seem to turn into complete fúcktards at big gigs too. Has been that way since the early days of Slane. Dublin scumbags and people from the midlands in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭ooter

Walked to ballaly luas after the gig, 4 minute wait and got a seat on the luas, back in town for about 12:15.
    Never took the luas route to Marley park before but definitely will in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,061 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

I was surprised at how early people went in - we got in around 6.15 and there was a big crowd already in. Had no bother getting beer, no problem getting to the jacks, no problem with the sound. A bit disappointed with the crowd, there looked to be a good few there that didnt really seemed too interested. The band weren't at their best I felt. To use a football expression, it looked like an end of season game when you have nothing to play for. Dont get me wrong, they still have it but I think I'm done with seeing them in large outdoor locations. If they stay together I think I'll skip the next Etihad/Marlay Park/T in the Park/Glasgow Green/Finsbury Park for some small indoor arena on the continent.

Synode wrote: »
    I've gone to tons of outdoor gigs over the years. It's extremely difficult for the engineers to get the sound perfect, especially on days with a bit of wind. This has always been the case so I don't know why people are surprised it wasn't perfect (depending on where they were standing)

100% agree, if I am in a spot where the sound is bad I move until it gets better. I don't think the sound on Saturday was as bad as some of the gigs I have been to. Even the big U2 gigs in Slane had the same problems with pockets where the sound didn't travel. I even remember seeing the Doors in the old Point Theater and moving 5 feet forward the sound was completely different, great gig that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Slane is always shambolic. Got into our car after the Chili Peppers - after a very dangerous unsupervised crush at the gate - and sat motionless for 4 hours before they let use move. 4am. OK you can go now. U2 similar.

Malahide Castle after Neil Young. Same. Complete free for all in the car park. No lights on and no security. Literally not one. Chaos.

Roses in the Phoenix Park. Ended up walking through the park in the pitch black to get out at the Chapelizod gate.

People also seem to turn into complete fúcktards at big gigs too. Has been that way since the early days of Slane. Dublin scumbags and people from the midlands in particular.

Saw REM in Slane in '95 I think, vowed I'd never go again and haven't. How they get away with it, I don't know. We drove on saturdau and were home in Dublin 7 with a bag of chips at 11.30, happy out!

I didn't think the sound was that bad either, and tbh, the Stone Roses have always had that said about them.
    I didn't mind the walk either, it was a nice night and I was enjoyig myself, but the walk from Phoenix Park....
    Wow. That was hell.

I forgot about that.......there was something really surreal about 1000's of people walking through the park in the dark.

I remember it being a good buzz but only in Ireland would they feck up turning the light on.

ooter wrote: »
    Walked to ballaly luas after the gig, 4 minute wait and got a seat on the luas, back in town for about 12:15.
    Never took the luas route to Marley park before but definitely will in future.

Do you know what time the last Luas left for town?

As we were walking towards Dundrum Luas stop we saw the last Luas heading South at 12.30am.

Was there a big crowd waiting to get on at Ballaly when you were there.

strongback wrote: »
    I forgot about that.......there was something really surreal about 1000's of people walking through the park in the dark.

I remember it being a good buzz but only in Ireland would they feck up turning the light on.

Very surreal yeah. Looked like a scene from a George A. Romero movie.

zombie_attack_NOTLD.png

sweetie wrote: »
    Saw REM in Slane in '95 I think, vowed I'd never go again and haven't. How they get away with it, I don't know. We drove on saturdau and were home in Dublin 7 with a bag of chips at 11.30, happy out!

Was speaking to my old man and he said Dylan in 82, Bruce in 85, Queen in 86, Bowie in 87 etc all the same. Thanks for coming lads now do your best. Diabolical venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

Was speaking to my old man and he said Dylan in 82 84, Bruce in 85, Queen in 86, Bowie in 87 etc all the same. Thanks for coming lads now do your best. Diabolical venue.

I was at REM in '95 too and it was also never again.

FYP re Dylan, by the way, it was '84. The Stones played there in '82.

jprboy wrote: »
    I was at REM in '95 too and it was also never again.

FYP re Dylan, by the way, it was '84. The Stones played there in '82.

:eek:....But, but they only formed in '83 :P:cool:

(I'm aware that they would be referred to as 'the roses' if anything, but that would ruin the whole point of my post, and I refuse to let that happen.)

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

I really don't know why the Marathon Coaches travel option wasn't advertised more. It was such an easy way to go to and from the gig.

Marathon didn't really sell the service well either, IMO. A few of my mates didn't book with Marathon, because when booking the coach online, you needed to select a departure time and many of the decent times sold out quickly. This didn't seem to be the case to me. Myself and herself walked to George's Quay and there was a steady stream of buses. We got our wristbands, then went for a couple of drinks nearby. Once you had your wristband you could get on any of the buses going to the gig. The same happened on the return journey, I saw a lot of people getting bands out at Marlay Park for the return journey to the City Centre.

All in all, Marathon's service was great and took the stress out of the getting there and back, which made the gig that bit more enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

I was standing just between the sound desk and one of the speakers, sound was fine there, went to the jax and the sound was awful from around the gravel road area and beyond, loads of people there complaining about the sound.
    A mate was at the bar just as the gig started and the barrier collapsed and turned into a free for all. I was able to get some beers in but cost me seeing most of RyG , some shameful queue skipping on my behalf had done it before I realisd I skipped about 20min of a queue outside the bar entrance. Terrible getting in , terrible getting out, terrible at the bar, was worth it though imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭lc180

The queue for the bar was so bad I ended up having 2 cups of tea, a pulled pork bap and a sudden realisation that I was old as f**k

Advertisement