Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stone Roses 2016 - The Fourth Coming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭CaoimheSquee

Anyone have the full set list?

From memory they played (in no particular order)

She bangs the drums
    All for one
    Begging You
    Elizabeth My Dear
    Made of Stone
    This the One
    Waterfall
    Elephant Stone
    Sugar Spun Sister
    I am The Resurrection
    Love Spreads
    Fools Gold
    Breaking into Heaven

Anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

MCD in shambolic concert organisation shocker

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Anyone have the full set list?

From memory they played (in no particular order)

She bangs the drums
    All for one
    Begging You
    Elizabeth My Dear
    Made of Stone
    This the One
    Waterfall
    Elephant Stone
    Sugar Spun Sister
    I am The Resurrection
    Love Spreads
    Fools Gold
    Breaking into Heaven

Anything else?

someone put it up earlier in the thread, before the gig, it was spot on IIRC but puzzled why they didnt play the new one, beautiful thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭ooter

strongback wrote: »
    Do you know what time the last Luas left for town?

As we were walking towards Dundrum Luas stop we saw the last Luas heading South at 12.30am.

Was there a big crowd waiting to get on at Ballaly when you were there.

I checked the luas website and it said the last luas leaves brides Glen at midnight, I knew once we got to ballaly before that we'd be ok.
    I'd say there was about 50 people waiting to get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Billy Mays wrote: »
    MCD in shambolic concert organisation shocker
    They really don't give a f ck. Admirable in a way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

yes, there is, Marathon Coaches, €10 return, they were advertised quite a bit.
    also shuttle buses running to Dundrum Luas stop too.
    Pete Moss wrote: »
    I really don't know why the Marathon Coaches travel option wasn't advertised more. It was such an easy way to go to and from the gig.

Marathon didn't really sell the service well either, IMO. A few of my mates didn't book with Marathon, because when booking the coach online, you needed to select a departure time and many of the decent times sold out quickly. This didn't seem to be the case to me. Myself and herself walked to George's Quay and there was a steady stream of buses. We got our wristbands, then went for a couple of drinks nearby. Once you had your wristband you could get on any of the buses going to the gig. The same happened on the return journey, I saw a lot of people getting bands out at Marlay Park for the return journey to the City Centre.

All in all, Marathon's service was great and took the stress out of the getting there and back, which made the gig that bit more enjoyable.

+1 on the Marathon coaches, really well run service.

My only gripe was not going for a piss before I joined the queue at the end of the night and being in fear that my bladder was going to explode on the bus enroute home :D

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭frazzledazzle

sweetie wrote: »
    someone put it up earlier in the thread, before the gig, it was spot on IIRC but puzzled why they didnt play the new one, beautiful thing.

Sally Cinamon was 3rd played I think .........

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭frazzledazzle

drove in, parked ......... walked in, got a bottle of water and one of the lads went for pints, in place for R&G (how out of place were they) ....... watched the gig, best kareoke night I was ever at ........... poor old Manny, he seemed to be propped up at the back, he must have been attached to an oxygen tank, though he played well all night - great guitar / drumming - we know Ian Brown (not famed for his live singing) .............. wasnt fussed about breathing all the sulphar in from the flares, though didnt mind the constant smell of marajuana .............. great atmosphere, sober as a judge, stayed til the end of the gig, walked back to the to the car and drove straight out .............. dropped one of the lads far side of Phoenix Park, drove back to Naas and home at midnight ............ throughly enjoyed it, no hangover unlike 40,000 others ........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Really enjoyed the gig. Probably not as much as Phoenix Park but that was only because of the novelty factor of seeing them after twenty years.

I thought the sound was quite good and much better than gigs that I have been to in Slane, Croker etc. Not as good as Feile back in the day though although cans of Furstenburg probably had something to do with that!

I was amazed at the amount of "younger" folk at it i.e. low to mid 20s. I eventually had to ask a couple in late teens/early 20s to stop continually copping off a foot in front of me and bumping me in the process. They were at it for about 30 minutes non stop! Why not get a decent hotel room for the €160 ticket money instead and let the rest of us enjoy the gig!!

I thought Marlay Park was grand as a venue but is unsuitable because of its location. There were bad queues to get in and bad queues to get out (in the dark with no lighting). Maybe I should lighten up as an old bloke but it was dangerous. Also seeing young ladies openly urinating on the way out was unedifying to say the least. Now I know that I am getting old!

As regards the music, I thought they were really good, much tighter than 2012. It was great to see Elephant Stone live and it's a hard song to play live because of the dance beat to it. Made of Stone was a highlight and I thought that that extended guitar/drum rhythm to Fools Gold was excellent. And, of course, the full wonderful version of Resurrection where Reni & Squire excelled. Tears from this old man!

IB's voice was as ever. Well documented by others and as someone who has seen him on several occasions, it is what it is. He is an iconic front man not a singer.

Finally, curiously, I was amazed at how many fans knew all of the lyrics for "All for One" and not so many for Bye Bye Badman, Elizabeth My Dear, and the wonderful "Shoot You Down". Too many kids downloading the "Best of" and not bothering with their two albums maybe?

I'll always go to see the Roses. Hearing Elephant Stone brought me back to being 19 again for a full 5 minutes. For €80 even in a field full of over hormonal drunk kids, that was priceless!

Can't wait for the next one ..... if I'm still alive!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Went
    Will not go to a Marlay Park gig ever again

It amazes me that somebody can set up a gig with such a ridiculous high margin on the booze and constantly leave so much money behind.
    I would cry if I was making money on selling booze and seeing an hour+ queue to sell a pint .
    I would genuinely fire everybody involved and start again , not every gig has this issue , It must be relatively simple to address.

I walked away and had a bottle of Coke instead of at least 4 pints each for our whole group , there was lads getting a hangover while waiting for a beer.

GIG was OK sound a bit distorted through out and alot of pretty scummy types around before and after , I though found getting in and out relatively simple.
    Luas and walk out , jumped in a cab outside was supping pints of Sheep Dip in Bruxelles in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I really enjoyed the night. Although, like others have said, it was badly organised. The queue for drink was just silly and I decided it wasn't worth it. Not that fussed about it anyway. I thought RyG were great and really got the crowd going. I like Soak but her music is more suited for a smaller indoor venue.

As for the Stone Roses themselves, I thought they were great too. However, I did notice an improvement in the second half of the set. I just wish they had played Beautiful Thing instead of All For One and played Standing Here or Where Angels Play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭thesultan

For €160 the line-up was very poor. Surely better back up acts. The roses were disinterested. No encore. No change in the set list from two years ago. Mani drugged off his face and fit to claspe . Squire with a mad professor beard. Crowd control to and from crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

thesultan wrote: »
    ...Squire with a mad professor beard...

You should demand a refund!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

I really don't know why the Marathon Coaches travel option wasn't advertised more. It was such an easy way to go to and from the gig.

Marathon didn't really sell the service well either, IMO. A few of my mates didn't bookwith Marathon, because when booking the coach online, you needed to select a departure time and many of the decent times sold out quickly. This didn't seem to be the case to me. Myself and herself walked to George's Quay and there was a steady stream of buses. We got our wristbands, then went for a couple of drinks nearby. Once you had your wristband you could get on any of the buses going to the gig. The same happened on the return journey, I saw a lot of people getting bands out at Marlay Park for the return journey to the City Centre.

All in all, Marathon's service was great and took the stress out of the getting there and back, which made the gig that bit more enjoyable.

MCD listed details about the Marathon Coach service on its website, on the page about details for the Marlay Park gigs, and included a link to the Transport for Ireland page about travel options for Marlay Park: http://www.transportforireland.ie/transport-information-marlay-park-concerts-2016/

It was also stated that not all Dublin Bus services that operate to Rathfarnham during the day, would be operating after the gig. This is also stated for the details about the Longitude Marlay Park gigs: http://www.longitude.ie/information/travel

"Dublin Bus routes serve the Grange Road entrances of Marlay Park in close proximity to the festival site:

16 Airport / O’Connell Street to Grange Road
    116 Burlington Road to Grange Road
    161 Dundrum Road Luas Station to Grange Road

These Dublin Bus routes serve Ballinteer Shopping Centre approx. 15 minute walk to the concert site:

14 Beaumont via Amiens Street to Ballinteer Shopping Centre
    75 The Square Tallaght / Dun Laoghaire to Ballinteer Shopping Centre

Please check timetables prior to travel. Note not all services will be operating at the end of the concerts and will be on a first come first served basis. For more information tel: 01 873 4222 - 0830hrs – 1800hrs (Monday to Saturday excluding Public Holidays) or www.dublinbus.ie".

So I guess any more advertising of the service would be the responsibility of Marathon Coaches. But I'm not sure it needed any more advertising, as on the day of the gig, on its website, most of the tickets for the various bus times were listed as sold out. On the day of the gig, the only available tickets to buy were the services in the early part of the afternoon.

It is a very good service, but just out of curiosity, after the gig, what route into the city centre did the bus you got take?

The one I got, went back through Rathmines Road, and then through Wexford Street, Aungier Street and George's Street, which is always really heavy with traffic at weekends. I'm just wondering, did the bus you got take a different route, to avoid Wexford Street, Aungier Street and George's Street?

It's curious that Dublin Bus no longer do special shuttle services to Marlay Park gigs, they used to do them every year around the time MCD first started organising gigs in Marlay Park, in 2001. I remember Dublin Bus did a shuttle service for the 2002 Santana gig and the 2008 Lenny Kravitz gig.

I remember Dublin Bus also did a shuttle service to and from the 2002 Ozzfest, between Dublin city centre and Punchestown.

I rang Dublin Bus last week and there didn't seem to be any definite confirmation as to whether or not it'd put on any extra number 16 services, from Rathfarnham, after the gig, last Saturday, going back into town, so when I saw lots of people getting the number 16 on O'Connell Street at around 4.30pm, I was thinking that they may have problems getting back into town after the gig.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

We got caught getting the 16 from city centre to marley for Kasabian a few years ago. We thought you could just rock up to the marathon bus stop and buy a ticket for the shuttle bus (like when dublin bus did it for Metallica) but were told you had to pre-book tickets.

We tried to offer a taxi like €50 to drop us out but he turned it down so we hopped on the 16. By god it took forever since it was either friday/saturday evening traffic and it took id say well over an hour to get in .

Have you used marathon for Slane (Bon Jovi) and would use them next time

We got caught getting the 16 from city centre to marley for Kasabian a few years ago. We thought you could just rock up to the marathon bus stop and buy a ticket for the shuttle bus (like when dublin bus did it for Metallica) but were told you had to pre-book tickets.

We tried to offer a taxi like €50 to drop us out but he turned it down so we hopped on the 16. By god it took forever since it was either friday/saturday evening traffic and it took id say well over an hour to get in .

Have you used marathon for Slane (Bon Jovi) and would use them next time

How did you get back into town after the gig?

How did you get back into town after the gig?

We made sure to be on the one of the first buses back into town , which happened to be dublin bus but they didnt charge anything which was a bonus.

We made sure to be on the one of the first buses back into town , which happened to be dublin bus but they didnt charge anything which was a bonus.

Was that the general Dublin Bus 16 service? I can't remember if Dublin Bus also did a shuttle service for Kasabian that year. I think Kasabian played a headline show in Marlay Park in 2013, the year after they played with Noel Gallagher?

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

MCD listed details about the Marathon Coach service on its website, on the page about details for the Marlay Park gigs, and included a link to the Transport for Ireland page about travel options for Marlay Park: http://www.transportforireland.ie/transport-information-marlay-park-concerts-2016/

It was also stated that not all Dublin Bus services that operate to Rathfarnham during the day, would be operating after the gig. This is also stated for the details about the Longitude Marlay Park gigs: http://www.longitude.ie/information/travel

"Dublin Bus routes serve the Grange Road entrances of Marlay Park in close proximity to the festival site:

16 Airport / O’Connell Street to Grange Road
    116 Burlington Road to Grange Road
    161 Dundrum Road Luas Station to Grange Road

These Dublin Bus routes serve Ballinteer Shopping Centre approx. 15 minute walk to the concert site:

14 Beaumont via Amiens Street to Ballinteer Shopping Centre
    75 The Square Tallaght / Dun Laoghaire to Ballinteer Shopping Centre

Please check timetables prior to travel. Note not all services will be operating at the end of the concerts and will be on a first come first served basis. For more information tel: 01 873 4222 - 0830hrs – 1800hrs (Monday to Saturday excluding Public Holidays) or www.dublinbus.ie".

So I guess any more advertising of the service would be the responsibility of Marathon Coaches. But I'm not sure it needed any more advertising, as on the day of the gig, on its website, most of the tickets for the various bus times were listed as sold out. On the day of the gig, the only available tickets to buy were the services in the early part of the afternoon.

It is a very good service, but just out of curiosity, after the gig, what route into the city centre did the bus you got take?

The one I got, went back through Rathmines Road, and then through Wexford Street, Aungier Street and George's Street, which is always really heavy with traffic at weekends. I'm just wondering, did the bus you got take a different route, to avoid Wexford Street, Aungier Street and George's Street?

It's curious that Dublin Bus no longer do special shuttle services to Marlay Park gigs, they used to do them every year around the time MCD first started organising gigs in Marlay Park, in 2001. I remember Dublin Bus did a shuttle service for the 2002 Santana gig and the 2008 Lenny Kravitz gig.

I remember Dublin Bus also did a shuttle service to and from the 2002 Ozzfest, between Dublin city centre and Punchestown.

I rang Dublin Bus last week and there didn't seem to be any definite confirmation as to whether or not it'd put on any extra number 16 services, from Rathfarnham, after the gig, last Saturday, going back into town, so when I saw lots of people getting the number 16 on O'Connell Street at around 4.30pm, I was thinking that they may have problems getting back into town after the gig.

There were many people I chatted to on the day who were unaware of Marathon's bus service, which is what I was using as my measuring stick with regards to the advertising. However, many of these people seemed more interested in bar queues, rather than bus queues, so they most likely didn't bother looking too far into the bus services on offer.

I did see a Marathon Coach stand at the entrance to the departure area for their buses after the gig. I never asked, so I could be wrong, but it looked as though people could buy a return ticket for one of their coaches there. If this was the case, then Marathon should have advertised this aspect of their service a bit more, though like I said, I could be wrong about them selling return tickets at the venue.

I know a couple of people who were caught out with transport entirely. It's quite surprising that people just assumed Dublin Bus would stick on a couple of extra buses on the 16 route, especially given the attendance for a Marlay Park concert. In saying that, I went to an Arctic Monkeys gig out there many moons ago and, at the time, Dublin Bus had designated buses to and from the gig.

The coach we took avoided George's Street altogether. It passed Chapelizod, stopped at Heuston Station to let a few people out, travelled along the Quays and stopped just before O'Connell Street. It was surprisingly quick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭strongback

Was that the general Dublin Bus 16 service? I can't remember if Dublin Bus also did a shuttle service for Kasabian that year. I think Kasabian played a headline show in Marlay Park in 2013, the year after they played with Noel Gallagher?

Dublin Bus did not put on any extra buses on the No.14 route into town. I stood at the bus stop for the best part of an hour after the gig and two buses came, the second one was completely full and did not stop.

We were talking about this in work yesterday and we reckoned Dublin Bus don't put on extra buses for concerts these days or sporting events like Croke Park or the Aviva. Somebody said they only put on a Sunday/ Bank Holiday service for St Patrick's day when hundreds of thousands of people make their way into town, don't know if that's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

thesultan wrote: »
    For €160 the line-up was very poor. Surely better back up acts. The roses were disinterested. No encore. No change in the set list from two years ago. Mani drugged off his face and fit to claspe . Squire with a mad professor beard. Crowd control to and from crazy.

Except there were several changes from their set from the last tour. And the Stone Roses were always known for never doing encores. Dunno how fair that comment about Mani is, he'd definitely been drinking a bit but I would imagine he's a bit long in the tooth for the old persian rugs. Also am I alone in actually being surprised about the lack of scumbaggery in the crowd? Usually big events like that have a few d ickheads but everyone I saw seemed to be pretty chilled and up for having a good time.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

I guess the scumbaggery element got caught up in the ridiculous bar queues. every cloud......

Mani did look unwell, however the important part to note is that he played an absolute blinder all night. In fact the whole band did, I have never heard Ian Brown sounding as good, he was near vintage. The setlist was more a less the very same as the Phoenix Park in 2012, however the performance this time was far far superior!

My only complaint was Squire been buried in the mix for the first 5 or 6 songs. Painfully annoying. Thankfully the sound engineer got his **** together!

I was indifferent to his beard, I must say it didn't take away from the gig for me!

Nope they played Marley with Noel in 2012 , then they did Forbidden Fruit 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mchlllsn

Marlay Park? Never again.

Seen the roses and foo fighters in Belfast at Boucher road playing fields a few years back. Ten minute wait for a beer, each bar was one way in and one way out with two stewards at each entrance/exit. Simple?

As people have already said getting in was a nightmare. There is no way h&s would sign off the marlay park set up in the uk. Seemed to be very cramped for gig that wasn't a sell out.

Interesting to note that the etihad gigs had a 'safe walking route' to Manchester city centre after the show. With police/stewards etc all along route.

The aviva stadium seems to be under used for big gigs in Dublin?

Bars already on site, a manageable walking distance into town etc.

Basically paying eighty quid a ticket you expect to be well looked after in a venue.

The feeling you're left with after a lot of big outdoor shows in Dublin is 'we've got their money, now let them get on with it'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Not sure how they can mix up their setlist, they only released two albums and 2 singles in the last 27 years

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

mchlllsn wrote: »

Basically paying eighty quid a ticket you expect to be well looked after in a venue.

The feeling you're left with after a lot of big outdoor shows in Dublin is 'we've got their money, now let them get on with it'.

At a push, only Aiken ever look after their customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

threein99 wrote: »
    Not sure how they can mix up their setlist, they only released two albums and 2 singles in the last 27 years

Yeah, but they have recorded 32 songs that never appeared on those two albums....but some of them you would not be paying to hear!

Just A Little Bit
    Mission Impossible
    So Young
    Tell Me
    Tradjic Roundabout
    All I Want
    Fall
    Getting Plenty
    Heart On the Staves
    Here It Comes
    Trust A Fox
    Elephant Stone
    Going Down
    Sally Cinnamon
    The Hardest Thing In the World
    All Across the Sands
    Mersey Paradise
    Where Angels Play
    Full Fathom Five
    Fools Gold
    Guernica
    Simone
    Standing Here
    What the World Is Waiting For
    One Love
    Something's Burning
    Breakout
    Groove Harder
    Moses
    Ride On
    All For One
    Beautiful Thing

There were many people I chatted to on the day who were unaware of Marathon's bus service, which is what I was using as my measuring stick with regards to the advertising. However, many of these people seemed more interested in bar queues, rather than bus queues, so they most likely didn't bother looking too far into the bus services on offer.

I did see a Marathon Coach stand at the entrance to the departure area for their buses after the gig. I never asked, so I could be wrong, but it looked as though people could buy a return ticket for one of their coaches there. If this was the case, then Marathon should have advertised this aspect of their service a bit more, though like I said, I could be wrong about them selling return tickets at the venue.

I know a couple of people who were caught out with transport entirely. It's quite surprising that people just assumed Dublin Bus would stick on a couple of extra buses on the 16 route, especially given the attendance for a Marlay Park concert. In saying that, I went to an Arctic Monkeys gig out there many moons ago and, at the time, Dublin Bus had designated buses to and from the gig.

The coach we took avoided George's Street altogether. It passed Chapelizod, stopped at Heuston Station to let a few people out, travelled along the Quays and stopped just before O'Connell Street. It was surprisingly quick.

Thanks for the details on the route taken by the bus you got. I think that's the route that was taken by the Marathon Coaches shuttle bus service, that I got after a gig in Marlay Park a few years ago. As far as I remember it also went along the quays, and got in a lot quicker than the bus I got on Saturday.

On the Marathon Coaches site, for details about Longitude, it states in the Frequently Asked Questions section, that it is not possible to pre-book a homeward bound ticket from Marlay Park after the gig to get back into town.

It adds that buying a ticket after the gig to get back into town, is subject to availability, so I guess it had the same policy in place for the Stone Roses gig.

http://bushiredublin.net/bus_service/concerts-events/bus-service-to-marlay-park-for-longitude-festival/

"2. Can I book a homeward bound ticket only online in advance of Marlay Park concerts?

It is not possible to pre-book a homeward bound ticket from Marlay Park to Georges Quay in advance. It can be purchased upon concert end in Marlay Park. Limited availability".
    - See more at: http://bushiredublin.net/bus_service/concerts-events/bus-service-to-marlay-park-for-longitude-festival/#sthash.4Z6s1nuo.dpuf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,361 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

On the Marathon Coaches site, for details about Longitude, it states in the Frequently Asked Questions section, that it is not possible to pre-book a homeward bound ticket from Marlay Park after the gig to get back into town.

It adds that buying a ticket after the gig to get back into town, is subject to availability, so I guess it had the same policy in place for the Stone Roses gig.

http://bushiredublin.net/bus_service/concerts-events/bus-service-to-marlay-park-for-longitude-festival/

"2. Can I book a homeward bound ticket only online in advance of Marlay Park concerts?

It is not possible to pre-book a homeward bound ticket from Marlay Park to Georges Quay in advance. It can be purchased upon concert end in Marlay Park. Limited availability".
    - See more at: http://bushiredublin.net/bus_service/concerts-events/bus-service-to-marlay-park-for-longitude-festival/#sthash.4Z6s1nuo.dpuf

I take that to mean you can only prebook for the return journey not a one way coming back?

I was lucky on saturday as I live close enough by, I walked straight to the pub after took me about 30 mins Id say had a couple of pints and got a taxi back to my house easily enough but when we got back up near Marley there was a lot of people looking for taxis still and that was after one o clock. Taxi driver was saying it was bedlam because of Beyonce in croker.

Advertisement