Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stone Roses 2016 - The Fourth Coming

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

mchlllsn wrote: »
    Marlay Park? Never again.

Seen the roses and foo fighters in Belfast at Boucher road playing fields a few years back. Ten minute wait for a beer, each bar was one way in and one way out with two stewards at each entrance/exit. Simple?

As people have already said getting in was a nightmare. There is no way h&s would sign off the marlay park set up in the uk. Seemed to be very cramped for gig that wasn't a sell out.

Interesting to note that the etihad gigs had a 'safe walking route' to Manchester city centre after the show. With police/stewards etc all along route.

The aviva stadium seems to be under used for big gigs in Dublin?

Bars already on site, a manageable walking distance into town etc.

Basically paying eighty quid a ticket you expect to be well looked after in a venue.

The feeling you're left with after a lot of big outdoor shows in Dublin is 'we've got their money, now let them get on with it'.

The Aviva would struggle to get planning permission for any more gigs. 1-2 per year is the maximum really and promoters aren't going to take many risks after Garth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

salmocab wrote: »
    I take that to mean you can only prebook for the return journey not a one way coming back?

I was lucky on saturday as I live close enough by, I walked straight to the pub after took me about 30 mins Id say had a couple of pints and got a taxi back to my house easily enough but when we got back up near Marley there was a lot of people looking for taxis still and that was after one o clock. Taxi driver was saying it was bedlam because of Beyonce in croker.

Yes, they only allow people to book in advance online, if they are going out from George's Quay and returning after the gig.

I guess Marathon Coaches does this so that it will know how many buses to have available on the day to accommodate the number of advance bookings made.

Then again, I'm wondering, why not allow people book a single fare to just get back into Dublin after the gig?

Perhaps the cost of hiring the buses is the reason they don't facilitate pre-booking for a single fare, after the gigs back into town?

I guess, maybe, if they did that, and allowed people to pre-book a single fare from Marlay Park after the gig, they would have to order in extra buses, which may just be used for one journey, after the gig?

Perhaps the way Marathon Coaches operates, allows for each of the buses it hires, to carry out numerous runs to the venue during the day, but if they allow pre-bookings for single fare bookings after the gig back into town, it'd have to order extra buses, for just one journey home after the gig?

Maybe the cost to the company, of hiring buses from the various private coach companies, that operate from George's Quay to Marlay Park, during the day on the various scheduled services to the venue, would be the same cost as hiring buses to carry out the single fare journey after the gig back into the city centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,361 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Yes, they only allow people to book in advance online, if they are going out from George's Quay and returning after the gig.

I guess Marathon Coaches does this so that it will know how many buses to have available on the day to accommodate the number of advance bookings made.

Then again, I'm wondering, why not allow people book a single fare to just get back into Dublin after the gig?

Perhaps the cost of hiring the buses is the reason they don't facilitate pre-booking for a single fare, after the gigs back into town?

I guess, maybe, if they did that, and allowed people to pre-book a single fare from Marlay Park after the gig, they would have to order in extra buses, which may just be used for one journey, after the gig?

Perhaps the way Marathon Coaches operates, allows for each of the buses it hires, to carry out numerous runs to the venue during the day, but if they allow pre-bookings for single fare bookings after the gig back into town, it'd have to order extra buses, for just one journey home after the gig?

Maybe the cost to the company, of hiring buses from the various private coach companies, that operate from George's Quay to Marlay Park, during the day on the various scheduled services to the venue, would be the same cost as hiring buses to carry out the single fare journey after the gig back into the city centre?

To be fair they have all day to get people to the gig but a very short window to get them back as pretty much everyone leaves at the same time so need a lot of buses late on and it might not be worth it logistically to sell a few more tickets for just the one way ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

It seems the unrelated fight outside the gig, that was mentioned earlier in the thread has made it into the paper.
    I didn't see any of that at all.
    I literally didn't see any trouble. Not even an argument.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/16-teens-arrested-following-massive-social-mediaarranged-brawl-on-public-street-34879544.html

I wonder will they cause more crap this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

Allyall wrote: »
    It seems the unrelated fight outside the gig, that was mentioned earlier in the thread has made it into the paper.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/16-teens-arrested-following-massive-social-mediaarranged-brawl-on-public-street-34879544.html

I saw some of this walking in, cops on horses etc etc. Was wondering what was going on, loads of shouting and bottles being thrown

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭ooter

Well the 2 teams I mentioned in one of my previous posts are playing each other this Friday so the Friday night of longitude should be ok anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭madanall

ooter wrote:
    Well the 2 teams I mentioned in one of my previous posts are playing each other this Friday so the Friday night of longitude should be ok anyway.

Linfield don't play in League of Ireland though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 themoll

Amazing the different experiences at this gig. Myself and the missus got caught up in this re-enactment of The Firm/Green Street and the rest of the night wasn't much better. We witnessed more fighting inside Marley which probably would have been worse if it wasn't for the crazy queues for beer all night. We saw couples sitting on the grass before the concert who had their drinks deliberately kicked over by gougers. So many people were off their heads and we witnessed more trouble after the concert including some young lads being bullied for their takeaway food!! Leaving all that aside it was great to see the band but I have to say the sound quality was poor and the brilliant guitar playing of Squire was barely audible. Brown hardly sang a note in tune. We are regular concert goers and have been to many gigs in Marley but this was by far the worst experience. The whole thing was badly organised with queues to get in, get drinks, use toilets. Moving around the venue was not easy and IMO too many tickets were sold. Credit to the Garda who had to deal with some nasty scumbags. Rant over!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭ooter

madanall wrote: »
    Linfield don't play in League of Ireland though.

Is the right answer, I never mentioned Linfield though.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭madanall

ooter wrote:
    Is the right answer, I never mentioned Linfield though.

I get the two sets of fans you are insinuating were involved in the trouble. According to the report , Linfield fans were involved too. They would not be on friendly terms with either of the Dublin clubs. I certainly couldn't see both Dublin clubs fighting on the same side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭strongback

themoll wrote: »
    Amazing the different experiences at this gig. Myself and the missus got caught up in this re-enactment of The Firm/Green Street and the rest of the night wasn't much better. We witnessed more fighting inside Marley which probably would have been worse if it wasn't for the crazy queues for beer all night. We saw couples sitting on the grass before the concert who had their drinks deliberately kicked over by gougers. So many people were off their heads and we witnessed more trouble after the concert including some young lads being bullied for their takeaway food!! Leaving all that aside it was great to see the band but I have to say the sound quality was poor and the brilliant guitar playing of Squire was barely audible. Brown hardly sang a note in tune. We are regular concert goers and have been to many gigs in Marley but this was by far the worst experience. The whole thing was badly organised with queues to get in, get drinks, use toilets. Moving around the venue was not easy and IMO too many tickets were sold. Credit to the Garda who had to deal with some nasty scumbags. Rant over!!

This is not directed at you just a comment you made that I often hear and it sort of bugs me. Basically I don't understand why people see todays John Squire as a great guitar player. Post the first album and Fool's Gold I would have to think long and hard to find a more boring generic guitar player that is widely described as legendary. Running up and down the pentetonic scale with loads of hammer-on's does not make a brilliant guitarist.

Squire was much better in the first album where he played slowly with simple arpeggio's and licks. He always played great notes and the time between the notes was as important as the notes themselves.

Its like Squire from the second album on does not understand what made the the first album great. The Stone Rose's at there best are a drum and bass band with lightly sung ethereal vocals and really cleaver strategic guitar playing adding colour. Squire ripping out power chords and buzz saw solos has nothing to do with the Stone Roses and it makes me think the guy is not lacking in the ego/lack of confidence department. Anyway rant over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,309 ✭✭✭✭endacl

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

The main pedestrian exit is onto the Grange Road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

Tried doing that myself last Saturday and a lot a lot of others did too. Unless Dublin Bus put on extra buses you would be taking a risk. I ended up stranded.

If you are going for the bus leaving the gig early is probably the way to go.

Be very aware that if you are still in the Marley Park area after 12 midnight you are doomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭dasdog

Would a Luas service from Dundrum into town, be any use to you?

Along with the Marathon Coach service between George's Quay and Marlay Park, Marathon Coaches also do a service from Stonemason's Way to Dundrum Luas stop.

But, according to the Luas site, the listing for the general normal Sunday timetable states that the last service from Brides Glen to Stephens Green on Sundays is 11pm and the last service from the Point to Saggart on Sundays is 11pm.

The Marathon Coach service to and from Dundrum Luas stop and Marlay Park is listed on the Luas site, but I didn't notice if there are extra Luas services operating after the gig, from Dundrum to Stephen's Green, as late as midnight or 1am.

"Buses start returning from Stonemasons Way to Dundrum Luas from 21:00 - 00:30. As buses fill they will depart Stonemason’s way".

https://www.luas.ie/travel-updates/

https://www.luas.ie/operating-hours-red-line.html

https://www.luas.ie/operating-hours-green-line.html

http://bushiredublin.net/bus_service/concerts-events/dundrum-luas-stop-to-marlay-park-bus-service/

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭gilmour

strongback wrote: »
    This is not directed at you just a comment you made that I often hear and it sort of bugs me. Basically I don't understand why people see todays John Squire as a great guitar player. Post the first album and Fool's Gold I would have to think long and hard to find a more boring generic guitar player that is widely described as legendary. Running up and down the pentetonic scale with loads of hammer-on's does not make a brilliant guitarist.

Squire was much better in the first album where he played slowly with simple arpeggio's and licks. He always played great notes and the time between the notes was as important as the notes themselves.

Its like Squire from the second album on does not understand what made the the first album great. The Stone Rose's at there best are a drum and bass band with lightly sung ethereal vocals and really cleaver strategic guitar playing adding colour. Squire ripping out power chords and buzz saw solos has nothing to do with the Stone Roses and it makes me think the guy is not lacking in the ego/lack of confidence department. Anyway rant over.

I love a good rant but you're a bit over the top here. You play guitar, congratulations. To people who don't play guitar, Squires input in the Roses is certainly more noticeable then say a Noel Gallagher solo. Bad mouthing the use of cocaine and pentatonic scales is the equivalent of saying blues guitarists are 3 chord trick chancers. Taste is subjective and all of that.
    To sum it up, Squire is a very talented guitar player. Legendary? Depends on what the gets the listener going, but its not for "guitarists" to be judge and jury of that. But he certainly inspired a lot more people to pick up the guitar in the 90s than the most technically talented player with an arsenal of scales up his sleeve that i know.

gilmour wrote: »
    I love a good rant but you're a bit over the top here. You play guitar, congratulations. To people who don't play guitar, Squires input in the Roses is certainly more noticeable then say a Noel Gallagher solo. Bad mouthing the use of cocaine and pentatonic scales is the equivalent of saying blues guitarists are 3 chord trick chancers. Taste is subjective and all of that.
    To sum it up, Squire is a very talented guitar player. Legendary? Depends on what the gets the listener going, but its not for "guitarists" to be judge and jury of that. But he certainly inspired a lot more people to pick up the guitar in the 90s than the most technically talented player with an arsenal of scales up his sleeve that i know.

Playing the guitar and understanding a little about music adds to the appreciation of what is good and what is very generic. Knowing Squire was great on the first album and boring on the second one is hardly an earth shattering revelation. The fact the second album failed to deliver is well documented and this was reflected in the sales.

I doubt John Squire was a direct inspiration for many guitarists in the 90's the reason being the Roses at their best aren't a guitar band.

• Advertisement

John Squire was very much an influential guitarist in the 90's to many people.

But it's not a competition.

Anyway, on a slightly different note, I love reading some of the articles that were written when everyone was still hoping The Stone Roses would get back together.
    I'm very much of the belief that you are at your most creative in your late teens and twenties. I think that after that, most people become less creative, by then, they were all entering their (mid) thirties and.... I may be wrong, but holding that belief has me thinking how different that they could've been had they gone on to create more albums like it's implied in this article from 2002
    https://www.theguardian.com/music/2002/sep/06/artsfeatures.shopping

I think the second coming was always doomed from the moment Geffen Records gave them all of that money.. (£1 million :pac: - It's nuts to think that nowadays, some footballers get that a month).

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Wheeker

drove in, parked ......... walked in, got a bottle of water and one of the lads went for pints, in place for R&G (how out of place were they) ....... watched the gig, best kareoke night I was ever at ........... poor old Manny, he seemed to be propped up at the back, he must have been attached to an oxygen tank, though he played well all night - great guitar / drumming - we know Ian Brown (not famed for his live singing) .............. wasnt fussed about breathing all the sulphar in from the flares, though didnt mind the constant smell of marajuana .............. great atmosphere, sober as a judge, stayed til the end of the gig, walked back to the to the car and drove straight out .............. dropped one of the lads far side of Phoenix Park, drove back to Naas and home at midnight ............ throughly enjoyed it, no hangover unlike 40,000 others ........

A bit late to be posting I know, but was on holidays last week. Similar to above, due to previous Marlay Park transport issues, I brought my scooter & parked in main car park. In & out nae bother! :D

Got a great spot (I thought)- bang in the middle fairly near the front. I was seriously in shock though the first few songs- the mix was unbelievably muddy & I couldn't hear a note of John Squire- WTF! Can't believe it took so long to improve & even by the end Squire was still not loud enough. IMHO the overall sound was atrocious.

Didn't help that the Roses are now a Karaoke band for so many people- there was a girl right behind me who couldn't carry a tune in a bucket yet kept squawking along. The Karaoke guitar riffs were maddening- why go "der ner nerr nerr" along to a song?! Made the fact you couldn't hear the actual guitar even worse.

Then there were the totally inappropriate support acts, the stinking flares & the drunken men-who-should-know-better clambering onto mate's shoulders & swaying all over the place.:mad:

I know that's a whole lotta whinging, but I did enjoy it regardless, honestly :o- Reni was in great form (what a drummer!), Mani was good but was rooted to the spot & even Ian Brown's singing wasn't too bad (from what I could hear). God what I would give to see them in the Olympia or even the Three Arena.

Wheeker wrote: »
    A bit late to be posting I know, but was on holidays last week. Similar to above, due to previous Marlay Park transport issues, I brought my scooter & parked in main car park. In & out nae bother! :D

Got a great spot (I thought)- bang in the middle fairly near the front. I was seriously in shock though the first few songs- the mix was unbelievably muddy & I couldn't hear a note of John Squire- WTF! Can't believe it took so long to improve & even by the end Squire was still not loud enough. IMHO the overall sound was atrocious.

Didn't help that the Roses are now a Karaoke band for so many people- there was a girl right behind me who couldn't carry a tune in a bucket yet kept squawking along. The Karaoke guitar riffs were maddening- why go "der ner nerr nerr" along to a song?! Made the fact you couldn't hear the actual guitar even worse.

Then there were the totally inappropriate support acts, the stinking flares & the drunken men-who-should-know-better clambering onto mate's shoulders & swaying all over the place.:mad:

I know that's a whole lotta whinging, but I did enjoy it regardless, honestly :o- Reni was in great form (what a drummer!), Mani was good but was rooted to the spot & even Ian Brown's singing wasn't too bad (from what I could hear). God what I would give to see them in the Olympia or even the Three Arena.

I thought the same about the sound, the guitar was very low in volume for around the first 30 odd minutes of the gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

A lot of people moaning about the night.
    1.you know the location and that it'll take ages to get back into town. It's not a surprise or anything. (we booked air B&B 10 min walk from the park)
    2.flares.i thought they added to the atmosphere. Granted thry weren't in my face...
    3. Beer. It's always going to be a queue, that's what festivals are like.

dinneenp wrote: »
    A lot of people moaning about the night.
    1.you know the location and that it'll take ages to get back into town. It's not a surprise or anything. (we booked air B&B 10 min walk from the park)
    2.flares.i thought they added to the atmosphere. Granted thry weren't in my face...
    3. Beer. It's always going to be a queue, that's what festivals are like.
    No no no no n o no...........
    That is DEFINITELY not something that we should be accepting. They do cheap deals with promoters and offer us the worst sevice possible.
    Nope.

Please don't ever accept that as "it is what it is"...........

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I don't understand why anyone thinks that flares add to the atmosphere. I saw a good number of flares during the concert and they added nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

No no no no n o no...........
    That is DEFINITELY not something that we should be accepting. They do cheap deals with promoters and offer us the worst sevice possible.
    Nope.

Please don't ever accept that as "it is what it is"...........

That's true actually. You'd also think the more service they have the more beer sold and bigger cash intake. €6 a beer is cheeky too, used to be 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

dinneenp wrote: »
    That's true actually. You'd also think the more service they have the more beer sold and bigger cash intake. €6 a beer is cheeky too, used to be 5.

Still is €5 at Diageo gigs. Marquee and Iveagh Gardens was €5 a pop for Guinness, Carlsberg, Hop House, etc.

€6 is annoying but its not as bad as €6.20 at Electric Picnic. Fumbling around with f*cking change.

But, yeah, "it is what it is" isn't something I want to accept when it comes to the sales at a gig. The bar set up at Marlay Park for the Stone Roses was not prepared to handle a large crowd. It could have led to a health and safety risk with people jammed into a small area and the queue wrapping around fully and blocking the exits. Either improve the queueing system or add another bar - as you said, they'll make more bloody money! I didn't buy any drinks because the queues were too long. It was just nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,061 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Still is €5 at Diageo gigs. Marquee and Iveagh Gardens was €5 a pop for Guinness, Carlsberg, Hop House, etc.

€6 is annoying but its not as bad as €6.20 at Electric Picnic. Fumbling around with f*cking change.

But, yeah, "it is what it is" isn't something I want to accept when it comes to the sales at a gig. The bar set up at Marlay Park for the Stone Roses was not prepared to handle a large crowd. It could have led to a health and safety risk with people jammed into a small area and the queue wrapping around fully and blocking the exits. Either improve the queueing system or add another bar - as you said, they'll make more bloody money! I didn't buy any drinks because the queues were too long. It was just nonsense.

Anybody complaining about the bar set up at Marlay Park for the Stone Roses gig obviously werent at Heaton Park on the Friday in 2012.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk0EtOfLRm0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,413 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

So what do u think 2017 will have in store for the stone roses ???

Saw them in there own backyard last june so would be 50/50 about seeing them live again (id love if they done an arena tour and played the 3arena or The Marquee)

would not surprise me if they broke up again

Advertisement