Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Megane Sport Tourer - how many gears?

Options
  • 05-11-2015 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

Just a quicky. I feel like an idiot but I'm just wondering if anyone can clarify if my 2005 manual Renault Megane Sport Tourer 1.5 DCi has.. well... 6 gears?

I've had it about 6 months and it has felt like it needs to shift up from 5th at Motorway speeds. The stick feels like it wants to go into a 6th gear - but reverse is so close that I lose my nerve and envisage my gear box ripping loose on the motorway. There's no gear map on the stick so I never thought to try until - I dunno - it came to me .. and the feeling won't leave..

It may be the dumbest question I've asked...
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

There was 5 and 6 speed versions. 90bhp were five 110bhp are 6 speed most 2005 were 5 speed if reverse is under fifth ie right and down then it has no 6th gear and don't try to put It into six as your trying to go into reverse. If it is six speed reverse would be over far left and forward beside 1st gear.

From what you've described it 99% likely is a 5 speed and your trying to put it into reverse. They will Rev high at high speed due to small engine and 5 speed nothing you can do about that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

Your car op has 6 gears.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

That's a bit surprising. Every car I owned has had the gear layout on the knob.
    Possibly aftermarket knob I s'pose.

Anyway, one way t find out is to start it in 6th. If it stalls there's a 6th gear :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,007 ✭✭✭Wossack

surely theres a gate, so you cant put it into reverse at speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,449 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Don't the 6 speeds have a lift-up collar that you need to pull up to put it into reverse?

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Don't the 6 speeds have a lift-up collar that you need to pull up to put it into reverse?

Yes they do there is no 6 speed gearbox in them that has a reverse gear down and right. So if it doesn't have the lift up collar for reverse then it doesn't have 6 forward gears. 5 speed would be way more popular in them in 2005 than 6 speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,449 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

there is one that has the reverse beside 6th AFAIK. mightnt be on the 1.5 though.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    there is one that has the reverse beside 6th AFAIK. mightnt be on the 1.5 though.

Maybe I never seen it on the 1.5dci Megane. It shouldn't be that difficult to tell with the car stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

OP, just put it in what you think is 6th in the driveway and slowly let the clutch out, if it's reverse you'll know. And if not, you will feel the car slightly move, and see the revs dip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭Notch000

back in collage a dopy lad I know was driving an old jetta for months and never knew there was a Fifth gear !! unitl some one pointed it out to him, his excuse was there was only a 4 speed know on it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Notch000 wrote: »
    back in collage a dopy lad I know was driving an old jetta for months and never knew there was a Fifth gear !! unitl some one pointed it out to him, his excuse was there was only a 4 speed know on it

Before that there was a fella who didn't know his car had a 4th gear and I've even heard of someone way back in the day complaining that his new car was revving mad compared to the old one and didn't know it had a 3rd gear until someone showed him

Advertisement