Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Hire Excess Insurance in Dublin

• 06-11-2015 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hello,

I have a query about car hire excess insurance. I want to hire a car in Dublin for a couple of days in December. I hold an Irish driving licence and will be flying in from the UK. The last time I hired a car, £1500+ was held on my card until I returned it when I was finished. I'm trying to book online now and I've been informed that I'll need to present a card with €3000 in available funds until I return the car.

Is it possible to take out insurance independently of the company so that I'm not asked to present a card with cleared funds for this amount? Any help / information regarding this would be greatly appreciated. I only want to hire the car for two days while back in Ireland, and this seems like an excessive amount of money to put aside.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Most hire companies offer an optional lower excess fir a few quid a day extra. Called CDW

I got shafted before because I didn't have this. Company invented damage to the car after it was returned. Didn't contact me, just saw my credit card bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Jabberwocky_I

Thank you for your reply - I took this optional lower excess out the last time I booked with Europa but when I went to pick the car up, they informed me that I still had to cover this £1500. I fought my corner and they waived it on that occasion, but I'd rather avoid any unpleasant surprises next time.

Advertisement