Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Prison Movie???

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

No option for An Inconnect Man ? Disgusting. One of my favourite prison films and not a option as well for any of the Mean Machine versions.Tut tut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Bret Hart wrote: »
    No option for An Inconnect Man ? Disgusting. One of my favourite prison films and not a option as well for any of the Mean Machine versions.Tut tut.

An Inconnect Man ......... sorry but I've never even heard of it if I'm honest. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭poeticmakaveli

I seen an innocent man years ago, it's with tom selleck,right?
    I loved lock up, brubaker, escape from Alcatraz, american me, blood in blood out. There was a film years ago I remember I liked, it was with Forrest Whitaker I think and kiefer sutherland.. Eh "life" was brilliant and hilarious with Eddie Murphy & martin Lawrence! Stir crazy was a classic, the hurricane, I could name quite a few more I'm sure but they are just sticking out at the moment!

just googled it, the name of the Forrest Whitaker and kiefer Sutherland movie was "last light"

I seen an innocent man years ago, it's with tom selleck,right?
    I loved lock up, brubaker, escape from Alcatraz, american me, blood in blood out. There was a film years ago I remember I liked, it was with Forrest Whitaker I think and kiefer sutherland.. Eh "life" was brilliant and hilarious with Eddie Murphy & martin Lawrence! Stir crazy was a classic, the hurricane, I could name quite a few more I'm sure but they are just sticking out at the moment!

Oh, An Innocent Man ......... yeah, I've seen it and it's ok ......... but I'd struggle to pick a movie from the Poll to replace with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

EvSenn wrote: »
    I love Down By Law. But Tom Waits is always a good watch.

• Advertisement

The Top Ten Prison Movies of all time as voted by British prisoners on Channel Four's Prison Night.

10. Midnight Express

9. Stir Crazy

8. Scum

7. The Great Escape

6. Escape From Alcatraz

5. Cool Hand Luke

4. Bronson

3. Dead Man Walking

2. The Green Mile

1. The Shawshank Redemption

Any surprises?

Stir Crazy, while a very funny classic movie that I personally love, is a surprise for me if I'm honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 wositelec

"Stir Crazy" is definitely good comedy movie. I remember many excellent prison movies, but I think that serious prison movies are better :-)

I'm looking for interesting prison episode from unknown TV series, but it was from 90's and I wrote this in correct thread entitled "movie Identification".

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang

Birdman of Alcatraz

Papillon

Sullivan’s Travels

Escape From New York :P

• Registered Users Posts: 86,695 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang

Birdman of Alcatraz

Papillon

Sullivan’s Travels

Escape From New York :P

Not the Remake

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Robert Jackson

Red Heat was a favourite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Does Escape from New York count as a prison movie? But anyway it got to be Birdman of Alcatraz for me.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

I watched Escape from Alcatraz for the first time last week. I have a signed photo from Larry Hankin which he sent me in the post. I was also surprised to see Old man Marley from Home Alone in it. I was trying to figure out where I recognised his voice from.

However my favourite prison film is Stallone's 'Lock Up'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Escape from Alcatraz been criminally underrated here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Toy Story 3

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

In the Name of the Father, McVicar.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭weadick

In the Name of the Father got my vote, my favourite Irish movie too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

A few more that don't seem to have been mentioned.

Scrubbers, a female Scum. Young Kathy Burke among the cast.

Prison (1988). Prison set horror movie, early role for Viggo Mortenson. Not as well known as it should be, maybe down to its generic title.

A Clockwork Orange counts down to the lengthy prison sequence.

The spin off movie of Porridge, extra points for giving more screen time to Genial Harry Grout, who only appeared in a handful of episodes of the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

escape from alcatraz with Clint eastwood as Frank Morris

memorable line:

"Are you afraid of ****, or, do ya just hate ****?"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

No mention of Shotcaller?? I thought it was really good. Very vicious film.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭nachouser

The Great Escape.

/thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Carandiru, Brazilian movie about a real life prison massacre.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Fortress, 90’stastic futuristic prison move starring Christopher Lambert. Around the same time Ray Liotta had a kind of prison film called No Escape.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

Outside of the obvious ones, Scum and midnight express would be closer to the top for me due to the memorable performances from Ray Winston and John Hurt

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Absolutely second this.

Brubaker is, for me, the best prison based film- even better than shawshank.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

A Sense of Freedom - The Jimmy Boyle Story.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭MfMan

Somewhat - The Bravados, Lonely Are The Brave (Kirk Douglas' personal favourite).

Escape From Alcatraz is Shawshank for adults.

Advertisement