Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NLD Sunday, 8 November, 4:00 p.m.

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,731 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

... and then you remember who the chairman is and the reality bites that like the rest of the managers in the past he wont be supported and we will be let down by the fact that we are 1 or 2 top quality players short. It would be great to be proved wrong and see a quality addition or two in January.

Forget January transfer targets. They almost always account for nothing and only end up been the following years 'deadwood'.

But yeah... we might well find ourselves in a great position after Xmas, the supporters will get a bit giddy and a couple of quality signings could keep the momentum going but I can't see it happening myself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Forget January transfer targets. They almost always account for nothing and only end up been the following years 'deadwood'.

But yeah... we might well find ourselves in a great position after Xmas, the supporters will get a bit giddy and a couple of quality signings could keep the momentum going but I can't see it happening myself

You would think a back up striker is a must and surely will be added, apart from that we are not too bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Alli was a January signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Technicality. He got loaned back and didn't come to the club until the summer.

Torres was for Chelsea too right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Indeed.

I'm not saying we shouldnt buy, I just wouldn't be getting my hopes up is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

i reckon we'll sign berahino.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭golfball37

Suarez was January, the year we could have won the league but we signed Saha that month

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

A new striker in January is still needed imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

tippspur wrote: »
    A new striker in January is still needed imo.

+ 1 something we can all agree on . :)

a stupid penny pinching move from levy to leave us with only 1 striker on the books.

i would not touch berahino personally he makes lazy greedy adebayour look like a saint lol:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

KingdomYid wrote: »
    You would think a back up striker is a must and surely will be added, apart from that we are not too bad.

This is it exactly, I'd like a better back up centre half than Fazio too.

I can't believe people still think spending money is the best way to improve. I mean if some quality players are available then ok, but that rarely happens in January, and we gotta remember top quality players will only sign for Champions League clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

I know Lamela is still a bit brainless at times, but his passion and fitness are incredible, is he on drugs or something, he's like a man possessed. I'd say he's a nightmare to play against.

Ormus wrote: »
    I know Lamela is still a bit brainless at times, but his passion and fitness are incredible, is he on drugs or something, he's like a man possessed. I'd say he's a nightmare to play against.

I thought be was awesome today, such energy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

Walker has played well today But his ONE mistake has cost us a Goal.

Lloris also needs to come out for crosses, too many goals against us have come from crosses.

We were the better side most of the game but did not punish them enough.

Just glad we didn't loose :)

Did you see him against Villa on Monday?? came out like Superman and missed the ball!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

09_09_09 wrote: »
    We cannot defend from set pieces for some reasons.

Why did we take the short corners today?

Its obvious is it not?

Arsenal were at their most dangerous from balls lumped into the box....
    So when we have a corner, we are hardly gonna play into their hands are we? They'd have won every ball in the air, Poch obviously told them to go short.;)

We also got shown up for being weak in the air in our own box, lucky Giroud couldn't capitalise, something we need to work on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

i reckon we'll sign berahino.

From yesterday's performance it was easy to see Poch only wants hard working players in the squad/team - this might cast doubt over whether Poch will go for Berahino.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭09_09_09

This is the player we should go for - Breel Embolo (a swiss cheese). He is going to be world class, and it is the right time or last time to buy him now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

A draw away to arsenal after a thursday night game is a great result regardless of whether we were winning or not.

The players were absolutely shattered from 70 mins on.

Anyone blaming walker for that goal needs to cop on. From a routine cross we were outnumbered 3-2 in our own box. If walker got closer to gibbs and left Giroud free to score it would be his fault aswel. The cross should never have come in.

Also we were lucky that giroud couldnt hit a barn door in the second half lads. For all the domination we had we didnt create more than 3 good chances. The gunners had 4/5 sitters in the second half alone.

Over-riding feeling is definitely a positive one. We went to the library and dominated like a home side for 70 mins. The confidence was oozing from all the players from the first minute

09_09_09 wrote: »
    This is the player we should go for - Breel Embolo (a swiss cheese). He is going to be world class, and it is the right time or last time to buy him now.

Yeah he looked decent, if a bit raw, when he came on against England in Wembley. Once he fits in to Poch's hard working ethos!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Long Time Lurker

MrKingsley wrote: »
    A draw away to arsenal after a thursday night game is a great result regardless of whether we were winning or not.

The players were absolutely shattered from 70 mins on.

Anyone blaming walker for that goal needs to cop on. From a routine cross we were outnumbered 3-2 in our own box. If walker got closer to gibbs and left Giroud free to score it would be his fault aswel. The cross should never have come in.

Also we were lucky that giroud couldnt hit a barn door in the second half lads. For all the domination we had we didnt create more than 3 good chances. The gunners had 4/5 sitters in the second half alone.

That's it exactly. It was very shortly after Son had come on and he was chasing shadows at the time. He wasn't fully sure how he was fitting in. I was properly nervous at the timing of his introduction. I felt we'd weathered the storm and bringing him on actually handed the impetus back to Arsenal. Anyway it's still a good result in my opinion and a great end to a very tough week. Still unbeaten and our only loss all season (league) because of a jammy OG. Don't tell anybody, we're going well. COYS.

MrKingsley wrote: »

A good point.

We don't seem to be victims of the Europa League curse this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

So far after our 4 europa league games weve beaten Palace and bournemouth and drawn away to Arsenal and Swansea.

Our performances after thursday night games have been killing us in previous seasons.

2 more EL games this month. If we come through those relatively unscathed then it will make a huge difference as the knocked stages are in the 2nd half of Feb.

Advertisement