Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post Graduate Accommodation

Options
  • 06-11-2015 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi, I am a post graduate student who is looking to study in NUI Galway. Where do the post graduates students normally live? From what I have read, I see that first year Bachelor students live in Corrib. Some information would be helpful since I live overseas and cannot personally check out apartments. Places where post graduate students live would be a safe bet

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Usually rent somewhere. I'd avoid undergrad accomm as it'll just be full of kids getting drunk and making noise all night long.

Maybe you can find a nice flat-share on daft.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Vaxsoca

Usually rent somewhere. I'd avoid undergrad accomm as it'll just be full of kids getting drunk and making noise all night long.

Maybe you can find a nice flat-share on daft.ie

Do you have any experience with flat sharing on daft? I won't be able to check out the apartment beforehand for mold and stuff. I'll just have to rely on the information provided on the website

Most room shares on daft want to meet you before you move in. Because of the demand they can be picky too. Might look for references.

I guess you can try and arrange to skype them to chat first. Maybe using skype you can view the apartment virtually.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Corrib is an overpriced kip that really only first years would live in. As Squee has already said - postgrads (and really the majority of undergrads) just tend to rent / house share. The benefit of being postgrad is that anywhere stipulating "professionals only" will usually also accept postgrads.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I'd have to agree with the above posters. You definetly don't want student accomodation: it's overpriced and very noisy. You're better off looking in the private market. It is very hard to get housing at the moment as a lot of places say "no students" but they're always worth a try anyway. My current flat was willing to accept postgrads despite the "no students" line on the ad.

• Advertisement

Don't say you're a student. You are a researcher in the university.

They shouldn't be allowed to discriminate because people are students anyway. They should just ask for references or something.

I've never been rejected from somewhere because I was a post-grad anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 skankrandy

Dunaras claim to have a student block. I would stay clear. They're a couple of flats outside the complex, so you're away from the undergrads which is good for getting work done. However you're paying for the security of a complex that you're not in, also if you're on a ground floor you don't get the advertised outside space. When I moved in we were told an in flat washing machine was a substitute for these. When we discovered it was broken we were told they don't actually do substitutions.

And the place is damp and full of mould.

In other words, avoid at all costs.

Advertisement