Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I switch to veterinary?

Options
  • 06-11-2015 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi, hoping for some help here.
    I'm a 19 year old first year student about two months into a science course. I'm also kind of terrified that I've made the wrong decision and will change careers 10-20 years down the line. I've always been very academic, yet now I can't see myself pursuing an academic career which is what my course usually (not always) leads to.I love science (physics and chemistry), but I think I would prefer to preserve that love as a hobby. I can't see myself writing papers and lecturing.
    So... I'm thinking of dropping out and doing veterinary. I also know how crazy that would sound to anyone who knows me. I do love animals and enjoyed work experience with a vet during transition year but never studied biology. Also I know many people who do veterinary have dreamed of it for years. I have not, does that mean I wouldn't be a good vet? One of the things which attracts me to the profession is the lifestyle. I don't really care about pay or long hours, but the thought of doing so many different tasks in one day (consultations, surgery, vaccinations etc.) really appeals to me. In contrast the life of an academic seems quite monotonous.
    But I have also been really struggling to adjust to college life and am in a really bad place mentally right now. I've always been an introvert but I've never been so depressed and lonely. I haven't made any friends and I have to drag myself to lectures because I feel so anxious and self conscious with negative self talk constantly running through my mind. I don't want to let that play a role in my decision making, but it's hard to avoid it.
    To top it all off, if I do switch I would not only have to pay full fees but I would be forfeiting a very significant scholarship that I got to study this course.
    I'm really confused and feel like my life is falling to pieces. Would really appreciate any help/advice ye could give.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭PCX

Its sounds as though you are having a tough time of it at the monument. Being at college is a big adjustment. It is a really normal thing to find it hard to adjust to college life so don't feel bad about it.

You are probably right in thinking that the loneliness and depression that you are feeling affecting the way you are thinking about dropping out/career choices at the moment. If you haven't already I think that you should open up to your friends and family and discuss how you are feeling. UCD also has a student counselling service for people in exactly your situation - don't be afraid to use them they are there for you. Discussing your thoughts or worries will give you a much better idea of a good path forward.
    http://www.ucd.ie/studentcounselling/

You could try being more active about putting yourself in a position where making friends is more likely. There are lots of clubs and societies on campus for every taste. Perhaps go along to a meeting of one you like the look of. Lots of people join clubs to meet new people and make friends so you definitely won't be the only one there with that motivation.

When you are 19 and looking at what you want to do with the rest of your life it can be very daunting. I would bet the majority of 35 year olds are not working in the exact job they would have predicted they'd be in at 19. Don't worry that you'll be stuck in the same job forever people can and do successfully change careers (i have) and that is not necessarily a bad thing as you build life experience your thoughts on what you want to do may change and you still have options.

You seem to be limiting the choices for your career to Vet or Academic in Physics/Chemistry. There are hundreds of career possibilities for people with science degree backgrounds. Of course you do have the option of following your field and finding related work in academia or you could look at something a bit more applied in the science and technology industry which might suit you better. A science degree is also well respected even outside of the traditional science fields. I personally know science grads that have succeeded in careers in investment banking, accountancy and the civil service. You can even do graduate entry Veterinary or Medicine after a science degree. So don't feel you will be limited.

A practical step you can take would be to make an appointment with the Careers service on campus. I have found them very helpful in the past. They are used to helping out students faced with choices like the ones you have at the moment.
    http://www.ucd.ie/careers/appointments/

Dropping out to take veterinary might be the right option for you but there are a lot of things to consider. Are you guaranteed a place if you drop out and reapply? Can you afford the fees (just one year I presume?) and to support yourself through your undergrad without the scholarship? Switching course is also unlikely to change the fact you are finding it hard to adjust to college life so that should not be your primary motivation for switching. Speaking to the Counselling Service and making an appointment with the Careers advisers really would help you make the correct decision for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

Hey, I finished up my neuro degree almost 2 years ago in UCD, if you want to have a chat or ask me anything about it then feel free to PM me.

I don't work in academia and I don't write papers :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

Hi, hoping for some help here.
    I'm a 19 year old first year student about two months into a science course. I'm also kind of terrified that I've made the wrong decision and will change careers 10-20 years down the line. I've always been very academic, yet now I can't see myself pursuing an academic career which is what my course usually (not always) leads to.I love science (physics and chemistry), but I think I would prefer to preserve that love as a hobby. I can't see myself writing papers and lecturing.
    So... I'm thinking of dropping out and doing veterinary. I also know how crazy that would sound to anyone who knows me. I do love animals and enjoyed work experience with a vet during transition year but never studied biology. Also I know many people who do veterinary have dreamed of it for years. I have not, does that mean I wouldn't be a good vet? One of the things which attracts me to the profession is the lifestyle. I don't really care about pay or long hours, but the thought of doing so many different tasks in one day (consultations, surgery, vaccinations etc.) really appeals to me. In contrast the life of an academic seems quite monotonous.
    But I have also been really struggling to adjust to college life and am in a really bad place mentally right now. I've always been an introvert but I've never been so depressed and lonely. I haven't made any friends and I have to drag myself to lectures because I feel so anxious and self conscious with negative self talk constantly running through my mind. I don't want to let that play a role in my decision making, but it's hard to avoid it.
    To top it all off, if I do switch I would not only have to pay full fees but I would be forfeiting a very significant scholarship that I got to study this course.
    I'm really confused and feel like my life is falling to pieces. Would really appreciate any help/advice ye could give.

I don't think you've given the course you are in a chance yet. 2 months isn't very long and there is a lot of stuff going on with you aside from your doubts about the course.
    About doing veterinary, had you already applied for this or is this just a recent idea?

Advertisement