Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I switch to veterinary?

Options
  • 06-11-2015 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi, hoping for some help here.
    I'm a 19 year old first year student about two months into a science course. I'm also kind of terrified that I've made the wrong decision and will change careers 10-20 years down the line. I've always been very academic, yet now I can't see myself pursuing an academic career which is what my course usually (not always) leads to.I love science (physics and chemistry), but I think I would prefer to preserve that love as a hobby. I can't see myself writing papers and lecturing.
    So... I'm thinking of dropping out and doing veterinary. I also know how crazy that would sound to anyone who knows me. I do love animals and enjoyed work experience with a vet during transition year but never studied biology. Also I know many people who do veterinary have dreamed of it for years. I have not, does that mean I wouldn't be a good vet? One of the things which attracts me to the profession is the lifestyle. I don't really care about pay or long hours, but the thought of doing so many different tasks in one day (consultations, surgery, vaccinations etc.) really appeals to me. In contrast the life of an academic seems quite monotonous.
    But I have also been really struggling to adjust to college life and am in a really bad place mentally right now. I've always been an introvert but I've never been so depressed and lonely. I haven't made any friends and I have to drag myself to lectures because I feel so anxious and self conscious with negative self talk constantly running through my mind. I don't want to let that play a role in my decision making, but it's hard to avoid it.
    To top it all off, if I do switch I would not only have to pay full fees but I would be forfeiting a very significant scholarship that I got to study this course.
    I'm really confused and feel like my life is falling to pieces. Would really appreciate any help/advice ye could give.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Tempi

Hey Last Legionary,

sorry to hear things aren't going so well at the moment. I am studying vet medicine and I, like you, didn't know from a young age that this was what I wanted to be so don't let that stop you. I'd hesitate to encourage you to make such a radical change in your life while you are feeling so down. Talking to a mental health professional about how you are feeling might be a good idea. I think tackling the anxiety and depression issues might be more helpful to you than changing courses at this time. The problem seems to be more the loneliness and isolation and not necessarily the course itself. I know that is going to be difficult, that the anxiety is going to try and convince you to not go and see a counsellor but you really need to talk to someone who can help give you some perspective and give you the tools to cope with your depression and anxiety. I'd also suggest reaching out to your family for support too if that's possible at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭.45auto

Hi, hoping for some help here.
    I'm a 19 year old first year student about two months into a science course. I'm also kind of terrified that I've made the wrong decision and will change careers 10-20 years down the line. I've always been very academic, yet now I can't see myself pursuing an academic career which is what my course usually (not always) leads to.I love science (physics and chemistry), but I think I would prefer to preserve that love as a hobby. I can't see myself writing papers and lecturing.
    So... I'm thinking of dropping out and doing veterinary. I also know how crazy that would sound to anyone who knows me. I do love animals and enjoyed work experience with a vet during transition year but never studied biology. Also I know many people who do veterinary have dreamed of it for years. I have not, does that mean I wouldn't be a good vet? One of the things which attracts me to the profession is the lifestyle. I don't really care about pay or long hours, but the thought of doing so many different tasks in one day (consultations, surgery, vaccinations etc.) really appeals to me. In contrast the life of an academic seems quite monotonous.
    But I have also been really struggling to adjust to college life and am in a really bad place mentally right now. I've always been an introvert but I've never been so depressed and lonely. I haven't made any friends and I have to drag myself to lectures because I feel so anxious and self conscious with negative self talk constantly running through my mind. I don't want to let that play a role in my decision making, but it's hard to avoid it.
    To top it all off, if I do switch I would not only have to pay full fees but I would be forfeiting a very significant scholarship that I got to study this course.
    I'm really confused and feel like my life is falling to pieces. Would really appreciate any help/advice ye could give.

Why not take a year out and just find yourself as cliche as that sounds.

Advertisement