Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contracts from buyer solicitor are slow?

Options
  • 06-11-2015 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

My solicitor sent contracts to the solicitor of the buyer of my property 5 weeks ago.

My solicitor hasn't received the contracts back from the buyer solicitor yet....is 5 weeks normal or should I start getting worried?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,910 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its on the long end but not unheard of. Is the sale in any way problematic, do you know? Negative equity / divorce / etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭MetHerInSolas

No Negative equity or divorce, i did buy my place under the "Affordable Housing scheme" but from what I have been told that shouldn't slow things up...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,910 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've no idea how I parsed that as sellers solicitor... obviously you'd know if it was problematic and it doesn't really matter anyway!

5 weeks for the buyers solicitor is a very long time. Has your solicitor chased them up at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭MetHerInSolas

Yes, well she told me she has.

Yes, well she told me she has.

In my experience, such 'chasing' may simply amount to leaving a message with a secretary that "my client is getting concerned".

Arrange a formal meeting with your solicitor to discuss the (lack of ) progress. In advance, ask her exactly what the other solicitor said when he is asked the reason for the delay and what exactly is happening.

If your solicitor knows that you will grill her, she is more likely to do some proper 'chasing up' and be able to give you a realistic appraisal of the situation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

My solicitor sent contracts to the solicitor of the buyer of my property 5 weeks ago.

My solicitor hasn't received the contracts back from the buyer solicitor yet....is 5 weeks normal or should I start getting worried?

Maybe their mortgage approval ran out and they had to reapply. They have to set up life insurance too, which may entail arranging a medical. Also, if your buyer is selling their own property than they typically want their buyer to return the contracts first before returning your contracts.

We just sold and bought, went through lots of delays.

Advertisement