Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

40sqm extension

Options
  • 06-11-2015 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭

We are looking to build an 1 storey 40sqm extension to the back our house, @ D15. 1 bedroom & a living room Can someone tell me how much it would cost roughly including fully finished ? Also please pm me details of the good reliable building contractors, whom ppl here have used before. Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

peaceboi wrote: »
    We are looking to build an 1 storey 40sqm extension to the back our house, @ D15. 1 bedroom & a living room Can someone tell me how much it would cost roughly including fully finished ? Also please pm me details of the good reliable building contractors, whom ppl here have used before. Thanks

40 Sq. M is quite large for a single storey extension, most people do not hit the limit. Will you also have 25 Sq. M of a rear garden remaining afterwards?

Anyway, budget wise, allow €1100-€1500 per Sq. M depending on finishes selected.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭peaceboi

kceire wrote: »
    40 Sq. M is quite large for a single storey extension, most people do not hit the limit. Will you also have 25 Sq. M of a rear garden remaining afterwards?

Anyway, budget wise, allow €1100-€1500 per Sq. M depending on finishes selected.

Ye, total garden size is around 160sq.m
    I was thinking of going with 2 rooms, 1 bedroom with toilet and a living room.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

peaceboi wrote: »
    Ye, total garden size is around 160sq.m
    I was thinking of going with 2 rooms, 1 bedroom with toilet and a living room.

Layout is completely up to yourself and how your needs are to the dwelling.
    Best of luck with the project.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

kceire wrote: »
    Layout is completely up to yourself and how your needs are to the dwelling.
    Best of luck with the project.

an extension of that size will often compromise the light, space and flow of the original rear of house rooms. It's worth spending time on design

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

I spoke to an architect recently about a 20sq metre single storey extension. He reckoned €1500 per sq m was not enough and for a quality finish I should budget €40k. Plus his fees of €5-6K:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

veetwin wrote: »
    I spoke to an architect recently about a 20sq metre single storey extension. He reckoned €1500 per sq m was not enough and for a quality finish I should budget €40k. Plus his fees of €5-6K:eek:

S/he's probably right, as the smaller the job, the bigger the cost/m.sq.

I am telling people to budget E1600 + VAT (at 13.5%) / m.sq. for that sort of scale of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭hoodrats

DOCARCH wrote: »
    S/he's probably right, as the smaller the job, the bigger the cost/m.sq.

I am telling people to budget E1600 + VAT (at 13.5%) / m.sq. for that sort of scale of work.

talk it up lads more money for yourselves:)
    op shop around , theres plenty of value to be had when hiring an engineer and builder . don't be fooled by the Dermot bannon type of waffle , remember its your hard earned money not theirs so spend it wisely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

We just finished a 36 sqm extension on our house (former council house D12) and I would say allow 1500/1600 per sqm. we went for some expensive extras like a large sky light and a concertina back door which bumped it up. But the work was quick and the finish is fantastic I couldn't be happier.

Advertisement